An interesting grading journey for this NGC/CAC capped bust half — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

An interesting grading journey for this NGC/CAC capped bust half

I bought this NGC fatty bust half a few years ago and thought it looked undergraded when I got it in hand, so I sent it to JA and asked him to reconsider it for a gold CAC. Fortunately, John agreed with me and returned it with a gold sticker. 

After a year or two I decided I wanted to get it into a PCGS slab but really wanted to keep the gold sticker, so I sent it to PCGS for crossover hoping it would cross to PCGS AU50 and then send it back to CAC for a gold sticker, but no such luck. It crossed to AU53. So I thought to myself, a gold sticker sometimes means the coin is actually undergraded by more than one grade, and maybe I can get a gold sticker back on it as an AU53….nope!

All along, however, I knew the coin was likely a 55, so I sent it back to PCGS for a regrade in its 53 holder, and as I suspected it came back as a AU55. Now, I had to find out for myself if it in fact it was a low end 55 or a high end 55, so back it went to CAC, and I fortunately I was correct….it was returned with a green CAC sticker!

In the end, though, I’m just glad I got the coin in what I believed was the right grade with a CAC sticker! 

Dave

Comments

• I grieve the loss of a premium fatty holder, I would love to do a controlled experiment where you put the two holders up an auction on heritage and see what they bring
  • Crypto said:
    I grieve the loss of a premium fatty holder, I would love to do a controlled experiment where you put the two holders up an auction on heritage and see what they bring
    Same, I think a fatty with the gold bean would have brought a nice premium. I get the pcgs holder part as well. They are my favorite. Any other type of holder besides a fatty or rattler. Those two holders are in high demand. I would never crack either. Still a nice upgrade! 
  • Damn another no line fatty w/ a gold sticka bites the dust, what a shame. To me they are the prize and nothing else compares. 
  • Although I miss the NGC fatty gold bean holder, I’m thinking the current grade with green sticker would likely sell for what the NGC fatty with gold sticker would have sold for. 

Anyone agree?
  • edited December 2021
    drddm said:
    Although I miss the NGC fatty gold bean holder, I’m thinking the current grade with green sticker would likely sell for what the NGC fatty with gold sticker would have sold for. 

Anyone agree?
    Depends on the price compression, if it is an issue unknown in UNC then every sliver of AU matters, for that issue I suspect the holder pizzazz might outweigh the the grade step up. 

Don’t get me wrong I totally get wanting coins in PCGS, fatty Gold being the rare exception. 
  • edited December 2021
    My understanding is that CAC thinks AU53 and AU50 are redundant and he treats them the same… so I would have expected a gold sticker at AU53. 

Regardless, nice coin!
  • My understanding is that CAC thinks AU53 and AU50 are redundant and he treats them the same… so I would have expect at gold at AU53. 

Regardless, nice coin!
    I hear you loud a clear, and was very much hoping I’d get the gold sticker back when it was a AU53, but no such luck. 
  • My understanding is that CAC thinks AU53 and AU50 are redundant and he treats them the same… so I would have expected a gold sticker at AU53. 

Regardless, nice coin!
    While there is a lot of wiggle room, I see good standards and differentiation applied at pcgs for the AU range with AU50 typically being a coin with XF surfaces but very little diminished high point detail or an UGLY/Net grade AU 53/55.  A 53 is almost always a 55 with just a slightly lower percentage of mint surfaces left intact. AU being little detail lost but with 4 different percentages of mint surfaces left intact for 5%-95% with 100% being your UNC line allegedly
  • I used to "play the game," but alas, no more. Historically, I broke even.
  • Very nice early Bust Half.  Tough coin.  Note to self: Call John everyday with a new coin to ask him to reconsider for a gold sticker.
  • drddm said:
    Although I miss the NGC fatty gold bean holder, I’m thinking the current grade with green sticker would likely sell for what the NGC fatty with gold sticker would have sold for. 

Anyone agree?
    Yes, I agree. I too believe that financially your PCGS AU55 with a green sticker will sell for at least as much as the same coin NGC FATTY gold sticker would have!

Steve
  • edited December 2021
    drddm said:

Anyone agree?
    Yes, I agree. I too believe that financially your PCGS AU55 with a green sticker will sell for at least as much as the same coin NGC FATTY gold sticker would have!

Steve
    Agreed, Most likely in today’s dollars but unclear of any net profit when fees are factored in but as always that will be coin specific.

The question is if any premium for the reassurance that collectors pay up for knowing the coin has by being in a TPG holder and unmessed with since the 80s-early 90s and if that premium continues grow as the years go by and early holders trickle out of the market.