NGC 2.1 / 2.0 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

NGC 2.1 / 2.0

What's a coin thread without a discussion on old early generation ngc holders. I am 10/10 (7 green and 3 gold) when submitting ngc 2.0 or 2.1 holders. Does anyone else have any? Would love to see them.

Comments

• BEAUTIOFUL!
    I have a perfect record likewise.
    Can't beat them, with the understanding its the coin and not the holder, but when the coin is right its a winning combo.
    I love it that the coin has been entombed for so long away from the modern coin doctor's slimy hands.
  • I recently sold this one that I owned for a few years.  The prices on these have gone to the moon.  Gold CAC.  Sold it for $1225!

• Wasn't our host (JA) the head grader at NGC at the time these were graded/slabbed? If he doesn't bean them, he's admitting he was wrong... ;) :D :p
  • Superb example.
    Shows you how conservative NGC was back in the day.
    Wish JA would start grading co again, or buy NGC back, go back to using the old fatty holder to signify the change over and bring back NGC to its glory days for a second time.
  • edited December 2021
    Realone said:
    Superb example.
    Wish JA would start grading co again, or buy NGC back, go back to using the old fatty holder to signify the change over and bring back NGC to its glory days for a second time.
    As much as the market clamors for older graded coins, I wouldn’t be super sure that submitters/dealers would embrace the retro standards and flood them with submissions and crossovers 
  • edited January 2022
    I rather my newly graded tpg ms65 not caced be graded conservatively/accurately, if that means it should be in a newly graded ms64 ngc holder caced so be it. If submitters rather have an overgraded ms65 in their collection that is on them and I can understand how they may choose the looser tpg graded uncaced coins than deal with reality (since it would undoubtedly hurt their pockets). Then on the other hand our hobby would be turned around on its arse and cleaned up and rise like a pheonix again where all tog's graded conservatively.....and then I would wake up from a very pleasing dream.
  • My first reaction is jealousy, quickly followed by genuine admiration and then fading back into jealousy!
    Such an incredible collection.
    I remember going to the Long Beach coin show in the late 80s and early 90s and seeing these generation holders in dealers' cases.
    (Correct me if I'm wrong- and I am likely to be so- wasn't the plastic clearer back then too?!)
  • I don’t have nearly the collection you do on old holders, but I covet them for sure !! Here are a few of mine. I have others too if you would like to see 

• Realone said:
    Superb example.
    I clearly remember back in the late 1980's, Steve Leber scouring the shows specifically looking for Franklins in PCGS holders that might well cross into NGC holders and thus be worth more money. HaHa, my how things have changed...
  • I sold off my 2.0s this year as they were really surging.  I DID KEEP MY 2.1s.