CAC Fatty vs CAC PCGS newer slabs (Recent selling experience) — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC Fatty vs CAC PCGS newer slabs (Recent selling experience)

edited December 2021 in Grading
Howdy.  I love the FATTY holders, not like a Religion as some do, but enjoy them.  The simple truth is most PCGS coins with CAC are still more valuable than FATTY with CAC.  (Not counting lovely toning of course)  Also, almost all DMPL FATTY Morgan's are not even PL, or one-sided PL/DMPL. 

Here is a recent real world auction result from several of my 66 Morgan's.  I count the 1880-S, 1881-S and 1882-S Morgan's as the same date and value.  As you can see, you would have been better off cracking/crossing the FATTY.  Please don't judge me as the FATTY Anti-Christ.  If you want the most value for your coins, and/or you want your Kids to inherit the best possible coins, they should be PCGS/CAC.

I would wait until some grading consistency returns though!  I'll try another submission after the new year and see what happens.

PCGS coin # 1 sells for....$394

PCGS coin # 2 sells for....$432

And the FATTY sells for....$335  (Even though it is clearly the nicest looking coin, looks 67 all day to me)

Comments

• So what does this tell you?
    It tells me how ignorant collectors are.
    I love the 1880-s ms66 ngc no line fatty by far.
    I look at it as a freebee, buy the ngc and get a discount, its almost laughable. 
    And you can thank all the sheeple that drink the koolaide.
  • Absolutely correct. At the end of the day the look of the coin is all that matters 

• Realone said:
    So what does this tell you?
    It tells me how ignorant collectors are.
    I love the 1880-s ms66 ngc no line fatty by far.
    I look at it as a freebee, buy the ngc and get a discount, its almost laughable. 
    And you can thank all the sheeple that drink the koolaide.
    NGC coin looks miles better. Should be a 67 if those 2 are 66
  • It really depends on each coin looks in hand. (I will say this 136,390 times on this forum).  Although I do find the very old NGC fatties charming, I'd much rather have a PCGS CAC coin all day long.  

From a biz perspective, when I do have interesting NGC fatties that are CAC, no-one is beating down my door to buy them.  Much more interest in PCGS.

Just my two cents.
  • edited December 2021
    Like @Seth_WitterCoin and @Wabbit imply, while collectors SHOULD “Buy the coin and not the holder”, the reality is “The Market” is the boss! And “The Market” says as a generalization  (and as @Wabbit has demonstrated in his tiny sample size) collectors WILL pay more for PCGS/CAC than for NGC/CAC, even if the NGC is in an old FATTY holder!

Steve
  • Here’s an old fatty that I love and would not consider crossing:

• Like @Seth_WitterCoin and @Wabbit imply, while collectors SHOULD “Buy the coin and not the holder”, the reality is “The Market” is the boss! And “The Market” says as a generalization  (and as @Wabbit has demonstrated in his tiny sample size) collectors WILL pay more for PCGS/CAC than for NGC/CAC, even if the NGC is in an old FATTY holder!

Steve
    Absolutely correct assessment of the market.........however the market is wrong imho. Just because the majority of collectors see it that way doesn't make them correct. I personally never follow the sheeple in anything I do, but that is just me and things have turned out quite well thus far.  Just saying because it needs to be said, the market doesn't dictate for me.
  • edited December 2021
    While I think we agree with each other, and you properly are buying the best coins for your collection at better pricing, “The Market” is not wrong. “The Market” says collectors WILL pay more for PCGS CAC than NGC CAC. “The Market” does NOT say collectors SHOULD pay more for PCGS CAC than NGC CAC. 

So I stand by my statement that “The Market” is not wrong.
  • Don't get me wrong, I enjoy and admire PCGS, yet any FATTY NGC I own will always and forever remain that way.  
  • Here’s an old fatty that I love and would not consider crossing:

Holy crap that’s nice, well bought 
  • While I think we agree with each other, and you properly are buying the best coins for your collection at better pricing, “The Market” is not wrong. “The Market” says collectors WILL pay more for PCGS CAC than NGC CAC. “The Market” does NOT say collectors SHOULD pay more for PCGS CAC than NGC CAC. 

So I stand by my statement that “The Market” is not wrong.
    We probably agree, I think, but I wanted to attempt to clear up any miscues on my part.
    You are correct in your observation, "collectors will pay more of pcgs cac than ngc cac". And it is obvious that they will , just look at the numbers & prices.
    But I believe the market does so based on false biases. A gorgeously toned conservatively graded ngc old no line fatty faced is the top choice of ALL choices whether or not the collectors/majority doesn't. The so-called Market is wrong with its choice of which piece to value higher. However as you correctly stated, the market does value pcgs over ngc even tho they shouldn't.
  • Yes, we do agree, but keep in mind the market values at a higher price the PCGS CAC over the NGC Fatty. "The Market" is not wrong in valuing the PCGS/CAC higher, since we agree collectors pay more for that than the NGC CAC fatty. But we do agree that collectors shouldn't be paying more for the PCGS CAC than the NGC Fatty/CAC.
  • braddick said:
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy and admire PCGS, yet any FATTY NGC I own will always and forever remain that way.  
    I have crossed 4 fattys.  I wanted my three PPIE commems in the same plastic and crossed two other coins where I was working on a set and the coin I wanted was in NGC holder while most where PCGS.  I agree that the market is right, but only at accurately assessing the average price at which a commodity will exchange hands.  Actual quality of a commodity is a separate matter and markets often prove that people will pay more for identical quality, or lower quality goods than could be had at that moment.
  • braddick said:
    Don't get me wrong, I enjoy and admire PCGS, yet any FATTY NGC I own will always and forever remain that way.  
    I have crossed 4 fattys.  I wanted my three PPIE commems in the same plastic and crossed two other coins where I was working on a set and the coin I wanted was in NGC holder while most where PCGS.  I agree that the market is right, but only at accurately assessing the average price at which a commodity will exchange hands.  Actual quality of a commodity is a separate matter and markets often prove that people will pay more for identical quality, or lower quality goods than could be had at that moment.
    For your collecting objections, that makes (some) sense.
    I'd be tempted- unless finances wouldn't allow it- to keep the older slabs and purchase on the market the necessary coins to complete my display.
  • People have paid more for what they believe to be the best brand forever!  You can get the exact item or product in a store brand or generic, but they don't care.
  • edited January 2022
    Yes, we do agree, but keep in mind the market values at a higher price the PCGS CAC over the NGC Fatty. "The Market" is not wrong in valuing the PCGS/CAC higher, since we agree collectors pay more for that than the NGC CAC fatty. But we do agree that collectors shouldn't be paying more for the PCGS CAC than the NGC Fatty/CAC.
    There are always exception as in the case of NGC 1.0 2.1 and 2.1.  They are selling at 1000% of market value of the market value of the coin itself.  In this case it is all about the plastic not the coin!

I would sooner give up my prized PCGS slabbed coins before I give up my above listed NGC fatties. 
  • edited January 2022
    I'm sure if we spent the time we could make a case on both sides. I am a PCGS Kool-aid drinker, except for the NGC fatties as well. I participate in the registry and have a complete MPL set but will never crack the top 10 because my 1909 VDB is in an old fattie with a green CAC (PR65RB) and I will not cross it.
  • I don't understand how anyone can say that most NGC. Fatty dpl.coins are not even pl. I have been collecting dpl .and dmpl.coins since 1997 and my 3 nicest Morgan's are in NGC. fatty holders they are nicer than all my other Morgan's graded higher by both grading services.They have deep clear mirrors and heavy frosted devices. If you think they are worth more in a PCGS. holder you are simply collecting slabs not coins. The two differences I have seen the with the grading services is with proof coins and full bell line Franklin halves.  It is clear in my collection and all the coins I have viewed over the years PCGS. is tougher giving cameo designation to proof coins and NGC.is tougher giving full bell line designation for Franklins. I don't care which older holder my coins are in the coins are valued the same. I do think a beautiful silver dpl. Morgan looks better in the white fatty holders but wouldn't pay more for it.
  • braddick said:
    It all is a matter of illusion. The perception that a PCGS coin is better than a NGC coin of the same quality is all illusion. Just like people will pay much more for a Tiffany diamond of the exact same GIA grade for their name and that blue box.

• STAY THE LINE, fair gentlemen!  Tis far better to eschew the contents of the package than to accept different wrappings.
    .........Voltaire

or someone    >:)