Am I the only one who enjoys this? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Am I the only one who enjoys this?

edited December 2021 in General
With the Fun Auction coming up, I really love to sit down and look at all the coins in the auction.   I make a list of everything that interests me and try to get a handle on the quality.  Then I begin to research each coin and finally come up with a price that I think the coin is worth and a max price i am willing to bid.   Even though I usually end up with just a small fraction of the coins I am interested in, I really enjoy this process with the major auctions.
Tagged:

Comments

• What a great system.  If recent auctions, including eBay are an indication, be prepared to be blown up!   :D
  • edited December 2021
    The fun is winning a superb, eye appealing coin. The planning and lot sorting not so much…
  • That is the real education - attending major shows, examining auction lots, viewing bourse offerings & talking with or overhearing conversations among collector & dealers. You just cannot learn 
    what you need to know to succeed in this hobby by just viewing online or reading auction catalogues. “Hands on”
    learning - nothing beats it.
  • This is exactly why this forum exists.  Thank you, Gazes, for the thread!
  • mellado said:
    That is the real education - attending major shows, examining auction lots, viewing bourse offerings & talking with or overhearing conversations among collector & dealers. You just cannot learn 
    what you need to know to succeed in this hobby by just viewing online or reading auction catalogues. “Hands on”
    learning - nothing beats it.

No doubt nothing beats viewing coins in person, etc. However, I learned an awful lot reading auction catalogs for several years before I attended my first coin show, and that was long before @ColonelJessup ;invented the internet.
  • CAC_Team said:
    This is exactly why this forum exists.  Thank you, Gazes, for the thread!
    Very much appreciate this comment.  Thank you
  • mellado said:
    That is the real education - attending major shows, examining auction lots, viewing bourse offerings & talking with or overhearing conversations among collector & dealers. You just cannot learn 
    learning - nothing beats it

Dont disagree that attending major shows , etc is educational and enjoyable.    My point was that I really enjoy the process of starting with nothing but an auction catalogue and finding coins of interest, researching the attributes of the coin and in many cases the history of that specific coin, determining rarity, determining price and then bidding.  My OP was mainly about just enjoying this process but I do find it educational as well.  Of course, i have loved going to shows like the ANA too.  
  • The fun is winning a superb, eye appealing coin. The planning and lot sorting not so much…
    Fair enough.  I guess I enjoy the the journey and you enjoy the destination.
  • It is the thrill of the auctioneer daring you to stretch beyond your top bid and chase the miscreant that dares to take the coin to a higher level. That separates the stoic from the impulsive.  
  • Glicker said:
    It is the thrill of the auctioneer daring you to stretch beyond your top bid and chase the miscreant that dares to take the coin to a higher level. That separates the stoic from the impulsive.  
    Absolutely!