The Big Photo Thread - Page 7 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

The Big Photo Thread

Comments

• edited February 2022
    breakdown said:

Wow! That is spectacular, FloridaFaceLifter. There are only eight of them - which one is this? Provenance please.

I actually just got it last week, and I’m trying to do some provenance research. My initial thoughts are that it may not be one of the 9 known published in Heritage Auctions “Roster of 1829 Small Date Half Eagles (expanded from earlier work by Saul Teichman, Wayne Burt, and Walter Breen).” Actually it may be this one but would need to find the image:
    3. Mint State, Prooflike. Thomas Cleneay (Chapman Brothers, 12/1890), lot 574; Byron Reed Collection; Omaha City Library/Western Heritage Museum (Spink America/Christies, 10/1996), lot 118. In the Spink/Christies catalog, the cataloger stated that Byron Reed acquired this coin from the Emery, Taylor, and Loomis Collection (W.E. Woodward, 3/1880). However, the plate from the Cleneay catalog is an exact match for this specimen.
  • Here are my two favorites...

Golly! It's the SAME coin. How could that be?

1) Did they mistakenly bean an overgraded coin?

2) Did they fail to award a gold sticker for the EF40 grade?

3) Or was the coin a really nice "tweener" between 40 and 45 that they stickered as both a P45 and later as a P40 after PCGS grade tightening?

IMO, the coin is properly graded as an EF40 - a really nice EF40 worthy of a green bean. IMO, it was on the 40/45 line and was downgraded from 45 after an accidental crack-out by USPS that coincided with a period of grade tightening by PCGS. The coin is not worthy of a gold bean, IMO.

PCGS may have misgraded the coin the first time, but their holder did a nice job protecting the coin from a shipping "mishap". There wasn't a single mark on the coin from the slab being crushed to pieces.
  • You guys are all showing off...lol. Love it. Nice to share things with ppl who appreciate it.
  • If this site had a "Like" button, I'd have carpal tunnel by now from smashing it so many times on this thread.

Tim
  • Hey everyone, been MIA for a bit. Good to see the forum going strong . I picked up a few coins and put together a 12 Coin Gold Type set using pretty decent slabbed coins that I cracked open. My last set was a scratch and dent set ! 🙈😂

I also picked up this ‘27 ms 67 star. ( 1 of only 3 with none higher ) It has crazy original surfaces . My photography sucks …

You guys think it’d CAC ?

Bear with me while I post a few . Thank you

• I picked up this 1857 S $20 SS Central America ms 65 CAC. 1 of only 7 in 65 with CAC. A really nice coin , plus I have the whole display book box etc .

• I picked up this 1929 $20 Saint recently . I paid strong money but I didn’t mind . All the 1929’s I’ve seen as of late were all ticked up and pretty rough even though the same grade.

I would like to send this in for CAC if it would pass . Do you all think it has a chance ??

I mentioned in an early post in this thread that I wish CAC didn’t add so much value . I’m not looking to increase the value , I just like knowing it’s a good quality coin for the grade. I feel because if the value issue that Saints are really tough to get passed. Which drives the value up even more !! 🤦🏻‍♂️😆😂😂😂

Anyways I think it’s the cleanest 29 / 64 I’ve seen in recent years .

• Those appear to be very nice examples but one could not make an educated guess as to if they would be approved by CAC from your images.

Good News! I found some much better images online, I've cropped them for you.

• Thank you Seatedman,

That 1929 is an ms 64 , I think it looks pretty good .

And the ‘27 has some crazy original surfaces and color .

• I love 1927 saints like yours, they can have superb luster and incredible eye appeal.

I agree, the 1929 looks very nice, but I'm not an expert in the series.

I could email you the images if you wish.
  • I found the images . But thank you just the same.

If you look back to beginning of this thread you’ll see a ‘23 D ms66+ CAC that I have . It’s about the most beautiful coin I’ve ever owned.

It was an NGC 66 + & * that I had crossed over to PCGS . Then sent to CAC and was passed.

A real keeper.

• This came in today. I won the bid at GC. I have several 1927’s, but I really wanted this one especially for its reverse. Look at that nearly flawless reverse . Looks like an ms 69!!!!!!!

• Colombianito, I like your maroon set case. What do you think of my blue one? I also have a smaller 8-coin black.

- Tim

• Sedulous said:

Colombianito, I like your maroon set case. What do you think of my blue one? I also have a smaller 8-coin black.

- Tim

I love it !!!   Much nicer then the standard white or black ones offered these days .  I had a scratch and dent set before.   The set I posted though I used decent slabbed coins.   
    Thanks for sharing 

C
  • Two more Franklin's now have a green sticker!
  • I’ve been wanting a nice CC CAC Double Eagle.   I think I might be getting one here shortly …..   keep fingers crossed. 

I’m really digging the CAC coins I do have.   Really really nice specimens.   So glad an expert like JA has availed himself through CAC to bring us his expertise.   He’s kind of turned the coin world on its head !  😎👍🏻