Stupid question which I kept forgetting to ask JA!! — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Stupid question which I kept forgetting to ask JA!!

The stupid question is simply this; how does CAC always manage to place their stickers on the slab so perfectly? 

Is it also a perfectly placed sticker after a number of failed efforts? 

Comments

• I can answer that question for you. Everyone is under the false impression that JA is the finalizer at CAC and that he must OK every coin which stickers. The reality is that his sole function at CAC is to apply stickers to the coins that pass. He has no distractions from this extremely important, painstaking task and he takes his job quite seriously. I've heard that even when he's away from the office, he spends hours each morning and evening, perfecting his craft - he supposedly practices by stickering hundreds of empty NGC and PCGS holders every day of the week. As good as people think he is at grading, his most impressive talent, by far, is his stickering ability. ;)
  • There is ALWAYS a Gate Keeper.
  • MarkFeld said:
    I can answer that question for you. Everyone is under the false impression that JA is the finalizer at CAC and that he must OK every coin which stickers. The reality is that his sole function at CAC is to apply stickers to the coins that pass. He has no distractions from this extremely important, painstaking task and he takes his job quite seriously. I've heard that even when he's away from the office, he spends hours each morning and evening, perfecting his craft - he supposedly practices by stickering hundreds of empty NGC and PCGS holders every day of the week. As good as people think he is at grading, his most impressive talent, by far, is his stickering ability. ;)
    LOL But will JA admit to this?
  • eh, he put one of mine on upside down. Obviously needs new glasses :)
  • john said:
    There is ALWAYS a Gate Keeper.
    And a key master
  • Having wondered the same thing, I always imagined some sort or template or jig that assists in correct sticker placement.   Hand placing them perfectly seems impossible!
  • I finally called and  asked JA the question and even reported to JA what Mark Feld posted. He just giggled. Maybe Mark is more aware of JA’s singular talent than we suspected?  >:)
  • oreville said:
    I finally called and  asked JA the question and even reported to JA what Mark Feld posted. He just giggled. Maybe Mark is more aware of JA’s singular talent than we suspected?  >:)
    I had emailed John a copy of my post. I didn’t want to talk “behind his back”, even when kidding around on this forum in plain view.
  • I simply don’t believe that sticker placement is even one of JA’s jobs, let alone his sole obligation. It boggles the mind that JA wouldn’t frequently monitor, at the very least, the grading trend created by his staff. After all, CAC is his creation & he would want to keep the
    organization as flawless as it can be in every aspect. This was not a subject to even kid about in my opinion
  • MarkFeld said:
    I can answer that question for you. Everyone is under the false impression that JA is the finalizer at CAC and that he must OK every coin which stickers. The reality is that his sole function at CAC is to apply stickers to the coins that pass. He has no distractions from this extremely important, painstaking task and he takes his job quite seriously. I've heard that even when he's away from the office, he spends hours each morning and evening, perfecting his craft - he supposedly practices by stickering hundreds of empty NGC and PCGS holders every day of the week. As good as people think he is at grading, his most impressive talent, by far, is his stickering ability. ;)
    For absolute verification, there is a bit of JA's DNA under each CAC sticker.  Or, so I've been told.
  • So what’s the real answer? I’m hypothesizing some sort of Dynamo like labeling/stickering device.
  • pedzola said:
    Having wondered the same thing, I always imagined some sort or template or jig that assists in correct sticker placement.   Hand placing them perfectly seems impossible!
    I was thinking that too, except I realized that different jig would be needed for each generation of holder which seemed unlikely.  My vote is sticker ink is done by the same person who packs and tapes returning submissions which are always precisely done.