CAC Platinum, Black, or Diamond? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC Platinum, Black, or Diamond?

edited January 2022 in Grading
Green CAC stickers indicate that coins are solid for the grade or (less likely) under-graded by one grade but would not be anointed a green sticker if graded one level finer.

Gold CAC stickers describe coins that are under-graded by at least one grade and would receive at least a green CAC sticker if graded one grade better.

But why not use, say, a platinum sticker if a coin is two grades higher and would also receive a green CAC bean in that higher grade?

And perhaps, say, a black or diamond sticker if three grades higher with a green CAC? I think that we could stop at four colors total, lest we further confuse those who do not even understand the significance of the two existing colors, as proven by many counterintuitively sky-high APR's.

Many gold-beaned coins are auctioning for way over what one grade up should be worth. Are people paying these absurdly astronomical premiums for the actual coins or merely the prestige and rarity of the gold sticker? Or do they really believe that the coins are under-graded by two to three (or more) grades? 

Comments

• Isn't CAC working hard enoigh as it is? >:)
  • A black CAC sticker on a black NGC slab?????????????????????????
  • I was thinking this post was a joke.  It has to be!

• If I crack this CAC platinum in 62...
  • CAC_Team said:
    If I crack this CAC platinum in 62...

Comes back stained.

• oreville said:
    A black CAC sticker on a black NGC slab?????????????????????????
    Ha ha, that did not occur to me. 
  • Wabbit said:
    I was thinking this post was a joke.  It has to be!

No, the joke is the the absurdly high prices that auction buyers are paying for coins that may only be under-graded by one grade. If you are paying 64 or 65 money for a 62, it should have a sticker that is not "merely" gold. 
  • CACfan said:
    Wabbit said:

No, the joke is the the absurdly high prices that auction buyers are paying for coins that may only be under-graded by one grade. If you are paying 64 or 65 money for a 62, it should have a sticker that is not "merely" gold. 
    The price that a coin brings at auction shouldn’t determine the color of the CAC sticker. Whether you meant it or not, in your above post, you wrote that it should. And for that matter, (just) the color of the sticker shouldn’t determine the price paid for the coin. As much as I appreciate and respect CAC, there’s a lot more to a coin’s value than the sticker.
  • edited December 2021
    By simple quantifying A&B coins you are in effect identifying C & D coins. At some point the negative pressure applied to the vast majority of the hobby will outweight the positive protections afforded to the upper echelons and those willing to blindly pay up to tag along.

while CAC ability to identify states of preservation and how stuff should look without generations of hands trying to improve/process them is without question. I would contend that the absolute prioritization of said attributes above all else is more a Financial consideration compared to a  hobbyist’s perspective. I simply don’t think we need the pile on the collector who stretched for a cleaned/over dipped VG 1893s Morgan. Not everyone is destined for A coins and the pride of ownership shouldn’t be tied merely to investment potential or tastes of coin snobs (no offense meant). The more the Industry paints a scarlet letter on anything not premium I think we all lose. 

Does a collection of CAC Susan B Anthonys (yes I know) really mean anything more than a Capitol holder full of them? Of an incredible 1878cc trade dollar with original skin that is a point over graded?  I get not wanting to be taken by the bad guys but many a collector gets taken by the good guys too.
  • MarkFeld said:
    CACfan said:
    Wabbit said:

The price that a coin brings at auction shouldn’t determine the color of the CAC sticker. Whether you meant it or not, in your above post, you wrote that it should. And for that matter, (just) the color of the sticker shouldn’t determine the price paid for the coin. As much as I appreciate and respect CAC, there’s a lot more to a coin’s value than the sticker.
    I think you meant that the color of the CAC sticker should not determine the APR. But in the real world, it does. Many bidders do not even know that most gold-beaned coins are only under-graded by a single grade, albeit would get a green bean in that higher grade. Hence, the often counterintuitively high APR's and my initial suggestion to add different color stickers for coins that are under-graded by more than one grade. 
  • I was lobbying for a Plaid CAC sticker which would have meant the coins was either way over graded, way under graded, a mechanical error, a foreign coin, or none of the above.  Not as specific as green/gold but would have been only $2 per sticker.  Didn’t find the groundswell of support that I had anticipated.  Kind of like my ‘Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders really piss us off’ campaign for Burger King…
  • CACfan said:
    MarkFeld said:
    CACfan said:
    Wabbit said:

I think you meant that the color of the CAC sticker should not determine the APR. But in the real world, it does. Many bidders do not even know that most gold-beaned coins are only under-graded by a single grade, albeit would get a green bean in that higher grade. Hence, the often counterintuitively high APR's and my initial suggestion to add different color stickers for coins that are under-graded by more than one grade. 
    I think the perception is that a gold sticker would grade easily higher at the next grade level and maybe 2 grades higher at the next TPG level