Wow. This place is poppin'!!!! — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Wow. This place is poppin'!!!!

I haven't jumped on in several weeks and its nice to see all the interesting topics.   I need to start contributing more.  
CAC Gold Stickers
  1. When you hope and wish for a gold sticker on your coin, what usually happens?17 votes
    1. A gold CAC sticker never appears.
      82.35%
    2. A gold CAC sticker appears, duh, of course!
      17.65%

Comments

• There goes the hood!  >:)
  • The Colonel should be posting here more since his banning over at PCGS.  At least, I hope so.
  • braddick said:
    The Colonel should be posting here more since his banning over at PCGS.  At least, I hope so.
    I hope it wasn’t permanent. Say it ain’t so @ColonelJessup.
  • PCGS has a habit of banning true experts which is sad. 
    But they kept all the GTGs and parking lot finds.   :'(
  • Good to see you here Seth, enjoy your Instagram from afar. Your advocacy for the hobby and YN is commendable. Happy new year  
    They haven’t banned them due to their expertise…
  • edited December 2021
    TurtleCat said:
    PCGS has a habit of banning true experts which is sad. 
    True but the old guard, experts and master hobbiest (especially those known in the community) where given extra leash to be them selves. The old timers weren’t always the best at entering fools which are common on the internet. The new guard at PCGS has taken a more black and white approach to rules and while they have made exceptions, the inevitability of enforcing the rules has ended up pushing away some of the brain trust. If the overall environment is better with more civility versus knowledge is their choice to make but choices have been made. 

Signed perpetually on probation at PCGS

crypto
  • edited December 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • If I had a sig-line it would be a quote from George Orwell:
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf".

Maybe I'll start a blog somewhere called "Notes from Leavenworth" or "A Spoiled Buddhist Priest's Adventures After Suicide by Mod"  B)
    I'm in talks with "The Onion". 

I went out with a blaze of truths at NGC, wasn’t so much the folks at NGC but the lower common denominator of their converts. We mutually agreed to troll other people. 
  • If I had a sig-line it would be a quote from George Orwell:
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf".

Maybe I'll start a blog somewhere called "Notes from Leavenworth" or "A Spoiled Buddhist Priest's Adventures After Suicide by Mod"  B)

Who else would we discuss the cripple creek collection and other gems with? 😈
  • edited December 2021
    If I had a sig-line it would be a quote from George Orwell:

edited to add: This could, in some ways, be a perfect fit. While I'm a little disappointed the editorial staff was mostly interested in how many pennies-a-word I would be willing to pay them to publish and showed disdain for my intensity in the need to definitively discriminate between a coin and a medal, they had me at "Hello".
    You gotta love people who can make the leap from thinking that a philatelist grants a certain sort of sexual favor to that of understanding that some numismatists like to perform commerce upon each other. Hopefully I'll be able to rise to the occasion :#
    Buried inside there somewhere (I think) is the consequences of pushing out the brian trust results in a proliferation of (profiteering on mint products) & (pretty pictures of coins soon up for sale) as topics for threads.  At some point masses need the ability to spar with said self promotion and mining of interest to shame them into the shadows. That will never be completely cordial. While participating and wanting to keep your finger on the pulse of the market is one thing, dominating said forum is lame and boring to the students of the topic. 
  • Crypto said:
    TurtleCat said:
    PCGS has a habit of banning true experts which is sad. 
    True but the old guard, experts and master hobbiest (especially those known in the community) where given extra leash to be them selves. The old timers weren’t always the best at entering fools which are common on the internet. The new guard at PCGS has taken a more black and white approach to rules and while they have made exceptions, the inevitability of enforcing the rules has ended up pushing away some of the brain trust. If the overall environment is better with more civility versus knowledge is their choice to make but choices have been made. 

Signed perpetually on probation at PCGS

crypto
    I’m sure the CAC people don’t want us spending too much time discussing another forum but I do remember those days. I originally was there in 2001 or 2002 until 2007, I can’t remember. It was certainly a wilder place than it is today. 
  • Don't forget the new opportunity to use "bean" as a verb.
     B) 
  • edited January 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2022
    I trolled for a banning at @PCGS with a post on the "Coin I Want in 2022" thread there this past week. TWICE.

Backstory:
    After @BillJones started a thread earlier this year about National Police Week, I started a brief thread without commentary (unless "bipartisan" is inflammatory) about how Sen Ted Cruz (R-TX) and Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ) had co-sponsored a bill in support of Police Week. I didn't elaborate upon the "politics AND humanity sometimes make for strange bed-fellows" aspect. I received a warning for "political content"

Coin I want in 2022? First on my wish list was a "45th President of the United States Commemorative Racketeer Nickel". The Secret Service should be all over TDS garbage like this..... 
    he said proudly.....
    No joy......

Backstory for the next post to the same thread.
    I've had numerous sardonic and self-satirical sig-lines.
    One of these was "Numismatic whore and market slut". Used under the previous ownership. Never heard a word from the mods....
    Several years later (and what was the Mod Squad at CU smoking that week?) I posted the below, which I then posted to the "Coin I Want in 2022" thread as my second attempt to "Dance with the Devil in the pale moonlight."

My point here is not that I should have been in the writer's room at Saturday Night Live pissing off right-wing snowflakes. I would likely have been fired for by left-wing snowflakes for suggesting a "fair-and-balanced" "Sleepy Joe Hunkerin' in his Election Bunker Combat-Avoidant Girlie-Man Challenge Coin." You wouldn't be the only one offended besides myself and @CaptainHenway (coin/medal.. right?) Noooo. The wrong person reads that line and my new year does not start off with fireworks.

My point here is not (only) that I'm a brightly and amusing fellow. Everything in this post is intended as cannon fodder for a community of sophisticates and neophytes, Alfred E. Newmans and Albert Einsteins. What will your own organically-developed moral code evolve into? Who will push back at bullies like me when I push back at @IfYouBuildItTheyWillCome?

What do you know, newbies and veterans? I won't discount 10 years of CU Forum history of experience for anyone's agenda. Until they pry my mouse from my cold dead hands. Will one flag by (go for it, Rick!) Marjorie Taylor Greene or Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez....  or a moderator's pet peeve (or pet) or (bete noir). Can you or I enter into a dialogue with nuance without some binary-thinking nitwit destroying the flow? Can you laugh at yourself among the sinners or fear your weaknesses so much that you insist we all cry along with you and the rest of the plaster saints?

The below was NOT flagged nor did it generate a warning earlier this week. 

What is the intention of this specific post? @CAC_Team eam can respond in any way, in part or in whole. Anyone can do so. There are a dozen traps and snares and false alarms for anyone wanting to sort a little bit of this out. There is no definitive "agree" "like" "disagree". You and I are each entitled to our own alternative facts. I'd still like to deconstruct, debate and destroy @Legend's Transparency premises, but over at CU the chimps can't even stop themselves, on a thread about what dealers are canceling and what flights are being rescheduled, from polemicizing about what the damned union rules (or is it damned FAA safety regulation) are for airline crews hours-in-the-air. 

Again... a reprint of a reprint.. looking for an Original or a Restrike  
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "This is the intro to a thread I initiated in 2018. Subsequent discourse included a rather heartfelt and poignant explanation by @CaptHenway of the differences between coins and medals.

I'm not sure if they were gold or "golden", but likely not of the fineness of Henry the Eighth the Second's personal commode.
    I'll take an Original and/or a Restrike with or without a COA from Alex Jones.

The thread appeared May 25, 2018, when different management was moderating this Forum.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Numismatic Disputes Disrupt North Korean Summit"
    Rumors abound concerning a firestorm of controversy on an obscure coin-collectors' website involving a just-announced commemorative coin relating to the just-cancelled Trump-Kim summit meeting.

Chatroom denizen turned social media darling @CaptainAhab was quoted as saying "I'm lampooning this round metal object. Unless you believe in time travel, of course. Coin? Try to spend one yet?". World financial markets are currently trembling at this challenge to the credibility of the issuing authorit,, currently identified as the White House Gift Shop and International Hotel..

Esthetic opinion has been mixed, with heated exchanges, especially between third-grade crayola devotees and 8th grade metal shop theorists. Cartoonist/culture maven Stan Lee commented "Disney fired that artist in 1934. And those archetypes have been much more convincingly portrayed on Pee Wee's Playhouse. Get off my lawn".

Insiders (not him) relate that Supreme Leader Kim was not flattered by an image that "does not sufficiently recognize the status awarded him by the US news organization "The Onion" as the World's Sexiest Man". but American officials resist commenting on reports that North Korean hackers substituted an image of the currently embalmed Chairman Mao to pre-emptively sabotage the meeting.

National Security Advisor John Bolton stated "The President's hair looks better than a mushroom cloud, get my point? #Winning"

Secret Service officials have not yet commented on the few that have begun to show up on Ebay, but reports say they are already charging up their golf carts in readiness.

Plans for a Wall commemorative have been put on hold until algorithms currently used for tax policy are adapted to studies of time travel."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, where's a cop when you need one? >:)

I would like to thank George Huang for nurturing a national treasure. Many who have affection for her are relieved she's not going to Florida this week.

Some who've known us both for thrity or forty years will find no contradiction betwen those sentiments and my hope that our future time spent together on the same platform for the first time since the last time she was thrown off CU will be even more of a motivation for her to focus on her clients' happinesses, even if it is to the exclusion of our own. o:)

Have fun with your coins :D  

• When you bring in a young girl to moderate a bunch of old guys, and a couple older ladies, it will go sideways in a hurry, and it did!  
  • I ran the Colonel's post through Google translate, and still can't figure it out!
  • Wabbit said:
    I ran the Colonel's post through Google translate, and still can't figure it out!
    Ha!