Bill Jones to Speak at FUN about Abraham Lincoln — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Bill Jones to Speak at FUN about Abraham Lincoln

I know that a lot of people are bailing on the FUN show because of the pandemic. If you are planning to attend, please consider coming to my presentation. My topic will be the life of Abraham Lincoln with an emphasis on his early life and how he won the 1860 presidential election. I will show how the major issues of the day were debated on presidential campaign medalets, and show some U.S. coins that bear key dates in Lincoln's life. I think that you will see some aspects of our hobby that you have noted previously.

I am Bill Jones, and I will speak on Friday, January 7 at 1:30 PM in Room N320E.

Thank you for your attention.

Here is an unofficial inaugural medalet that was issued prior to March 4, 1861 when Lincoln took the Oath of Office.

Comments

• I really wish I could be there Bill. I very much appreciate your research and historical discussions.
  • I really wish I could be there Bill. I very much appreciate your research and historical discussions.
    X2

i am a fan of anyone who starts a post in the 3rd person. Jokes aside you should do some sort of live stream. Your passion for history is a gift to the hobby
  • Good luck with your presentation.  Looks interesting.  Also, glad to see you on the CAC forum! Enjoy the FUN show.
  • Here is a link on the FUN website where they have archived many of their past FUN Show presentations. I hope that mine will be included there, unless, of course, I fall flat on my face. 

http://www.funtopics.com/Education.html
  • BillJones said:
    Here is a link on the FUN website where they have archived many of their past FUN Show presentations. I hope that mine will be included there, unless, of course, I fall flat on my face. 

http://www.funtopics.com/Education.html
    Many thanks and happy new year
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sounds interesting, Bill. Will the talk be streamed?
  • I was going to FUN but backed out due to all the possible problems. Would have enjoyed attending your presentation and seeing you again.
  • Bill, I wish I could meet you. I've followed your collecting posts for years.
    You are an exemplary collector. I envy your type set and the way you research the history of the coins you own.
    May you continue for a long long time. 

Of Lincoln, I'll relate this.
    When I was in the 5th grade, an old gentleman came to the class and did a Lincoln talk.
    It was more a reminiscence than an actual "talk."
    He had actually SEEN Lincoln when he was a kid.
    In a parade.
    He gave each kid in the class a brand new 1949 Lincoln Cent as a memento.
    They had a centerpunch just inside the top of the "O" in "One" on the reverse.
    I kept that coin for years.
    I wish I knew where it might be today. I almost can't imagine losing that coin. I kept it in my "kid's box of stuff" which was inviolate.

I looked for another for decades.

Anyhow, good luck with your FUN speech. 

The gentleman's name was Mr. Skinner.
    A memorable time.

• I hope the talk went well, Bill.
  • Wish I could have been there! I bet it was very good.