Introduce Yourself! - Page 16 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Comments

• Greetings to all, My names Dan Decker, new member here,  and I’ve been a member of the pcgs forum for about a year or so. I grew up in New Jersey but relocated to south florida in 2018. At a young age I was fascinated by coin collecting, but life  got in the way and I took a long hiatus from the hobby. Over the past couple years I’ve taken an interest again, and am currently working on a us gold type set, and I have a long way to go. I’ve been depending on the advice and knowledge of other collectors and numismatists to further my education, and the quality of my collection. I’m glad to be apart of the forum and looking forward to the opening of the opening of the CAC grading service.

Welcome
  • Greetings to all, My names Dan Decker, new member here,  and I’ve been a member of the pcgs forum for about a year or so. I grew up in New Jersey but relocated to south florida in 2018. At a young age I was fascinated by coin collecting, but life  got in the way and I took a long hiatus from the hobby. Over the past couple years I’ve taken an interest again, and am currently working on a us gold type set, and I have a long way to go. I’ve been depending on the advice and knowledge of other collectors and numismatists to further my education, and the quality of my collection. I’m glad to be apart of the forum and looking forward to the opening of the opening of the CAC grading service.

Welcome, Dan we are happy to have you! I hope you this forum will be helpful to you
  • Welcome to the forum Larry. Met you at a PCGS show and was very impressed by the quality of your coins. My friend and I both purchased one MS68 CAC Morgan dollar from your extensive inventory. Hope to see you at the FUN Show in January.

• Lashap said:

My name is Larry Shapiro .
    I have a full time coin business - Larry Shapiro rare coins.
    I love selling Registry Quality coins.
    I do mint state Lincoln Cents,proof Indians,Morgan and Peace Dollars, along with other cool coins.
    I hope to be posting pics of CAC coins soon.
    On a plane now returning for Baltimore now.
    Thank you,
    Larry

Welcome. I have used your service in the past, and you didn't throw anything at me, and were nice, so I'm good.
  • Hi All,

New to CAC forum, but have been on Coin Talk for years.

Been collecting for about 20 years. My aunt got me started with the statehood quarters and mint sets each year and I've been hooked ever since.

Mainly US type but have recently started branching into world, more specifically UK.

Happy to be here!
  • Hi All,

New to CAC forum, but have been on Coin Talk for years.

Been collecting for about 20 years. My aunt got me started with the statehood quarters and mint sets each year and I've been hooked ever since.

Mainly US type but have recently started branching into world, more specifically UK.

Happy to be here!

A welcome, for pursuing this Forum and increasing interest in collecting.

May many more from CT follow you example.
  • Hey from Ohio,
    I know people often wonder about who is involved with this coin world. I'm not a flipper or dealer 1st. of all. I'm someone who inherited a fairly large completely RAW coin hoard from my father " Ammo Joe".
    He started collecting in the late 50's and then started a bit of side hustle he called " Coin and Camera" in the early sixties. Later he switched to mainly Gun's and Ammo but that's another story.
    Anyway.. I don't think he ever sold any of the coins he picked up over the years and after he passed they came to me. Like others who inherit coin collections I visited a local coin dealer with some samples of my collection. After his comment about " That's a pretty nice 1895 'O' you got there. I found myself feeling like I was in some sort of poker game that I was not aware that I'd signed up to be in.
    Luckily all the main players at that shop where at a coin show. So I left with more questions than I started and ventured onward to educate myself about the " Hobby & Business " .
    It took me a huge amount of time to sort through what I have. I'm actually still doing it but in a more detailed way. " Cherry- Picking" my own collection. I have all the classic stuff most people have. But a lot they do not. It's no fun dealing with hoarding. There are even Tv shows about it. I think sometimes I could write a book about it, But this post kinda is one already.
    The coin in my profile pic is a pretty 1902 Indian my dad picked up early on. It's amazing what happens to coins over time sometimes.
    I have been setting coins a side to send out for grading. Now that CAC is getting set up for that very thing I will be waiting. I'm not sure how to get on the wait list to become a member who can submit. If you know maybe you could point me in the right direction? Over time I hope to have some of my best coins graded here and sent out for auction.
    Thanks for playing along. Hope you found this entertaining or helpful in some way.
    You never know what people are up too. Coins are neat and a fun hobby, but I want some new high end chefs knives because I love to cook. That's my hobby o:)
  • Welcome. You had me at Top Fuel.
    Tommy Ivo worshipper.
  • john said:

Welcome. You had me at Top Fuel.
    Tommy Ivo worshipper.

Thanks and a Wow.. Kickin it 'Old School'
    Go fast = break parts and empty bank account.
  • Yes. especially 327-350 bolt ups in a 56. 2 X.
    It bwoke, Mommy. Need some money....

Welcome Dan. Glad to see you're a "deplorable"
  • Thought I’d join over here and keep my same name from the PCGS boards in case the discussions get lively, and I can join in. I joined CAC earlier this year in hopes I could send some of my better and more significant coins for stickering … but I may have missed a large part of that boat. I’m glad I did join, and since it seems like things are changing more and more (again), and I wanted to be over here as this community starts to grow.

Other than three noticeable breaks, the last one which lasted more than a few years, I have been collecting since 1987, when, as a young 2nd Class Petty Office in the USN, a long-lost treasure box from Mom’s garage rekindled an interest I developed in the 5th grade. I am almost strictly a collector, although I have been known to flip something now and again, or sell the duplicates when I can’t help but buy a better example.

Today, I mostly collect Bust Half Dollars in ChAU, and in early July I became a certified ‘Nut! That was after spending a year as an Associate ‘Nut in the BHNC (Bust Half Nut Club). I also dabble in Classic 20th Century and Barber designs, Seated Halves, as well as other Bust coinage (Quarters were my first Bust passion), and I am relatively active in some Large-size US Currency.

My three kids are grown and good citizens (my greatest accomplishment), and my oldest and his wife made me a grandfather earlier this year. Outside of family and collecting, I work for a large Design-Build Contractor, mostly as a Lead Designer and Group Manager in the Mechanical, Controls and Electrical trades for large Commercial, Government and Industrial construction projects. I like to kayak, hike, fish, 4x4 and explore … and with that new Grandson, I hope to get to have a mini fishing buddy soon!

Anyway, glad to be here. If we don’t know each other yet, don’t be shy!

All the best,

Todd
    BHNC#242
  • Pursuit has an impressive collection and will be a great contributor here. Welcome!
  • Welcome 🤗 
  • Welcome & Congrats on your new fishing buddy!  Maybe he will be your new coin buddy also.
  • Nice to see you over here @pursuitofliberty!
  • Shalom!

My name is CJ Buchanan. I'm a 19yo numismatist from NW Ohio. I buy and sell coins for a (meager, but happy) living. I love collecting nice 20th century coins in NGC Fatties buffalos, mercury & Roosevelt dimes, walking Liberty Halves, and what not. I'll eventually venture into buying colonials and early Copper for my personal collection once my budget allows it.
    You may know me from instagram, YouTube, or the ANA where my usernames are always the same. I write for the "YN Corner" column in "The Numismatist", I have won first prize in ANA literary awards two years in a row, and I have an article coming out soon enough in "Penny-wise".

I also am an avid chess player.

Thought I'd finally join the fun. Seem like these discussion are much less disastrous than the NGC and PCGS forums, lol.
  • edited December 2022

Thought I’d join over here and keep my same name from the PCGS boards in case the discussions get lively, and I can join in. I joined CAC earlier this year in hopes I could send some of my better and more significant coins for stickering … but I may have missed a large part of that boat. I’m glad I did join, and since it seems like things are changing more and more (again), and I wanted to be over here as this community starts to grow.

Other than three noticeable breaks, the last one which lasted more than a few years, I have been collecting since 1987, when, as a young 2nd Class Petty Office in the USN, a long-lost treasure box from Mom’s garage rekindled an interest I developed in the 5th grade. I am almost strictly a collector, although I have been known to flip something now and again, or sell the duplicates when I can’t help but buy a better example.

Today, I mostly collect Bust Half Dollars in ChAU, and in early July I became a certified ‘Nut! That was after spending a year as an Associate ‘Nut in the BHNC (Bust Half Nut Club). I also dabble in Classic 20th Century and Barber designs, Seated Halves, as well as other Bust coinage (Quarters were my first Bust passion), and I am relatively active in some Large-size US Currency.

My three kids are grown and good citizens (my greatest accomplishment), and my oldest and his wife made me a grandfather earlier this year. Outside of family and collecting, I work for a large Design-Build Contractor, mostly as a Lead Designer and Group Manager in the Mechanical, Controls and Electrical trades for large Commercial, Government and Industrial construction projects. I like to kayak, hike, fish, 4x4 and explore … and with that new Grandson, I hope to get to have a mini fishing buddy soon!

Anyway, glad to be here. If we don’t know each other yet, don’t be shy!

All the best,

Todd
    BHNC#242

A sincere welcome. I enjoyed the introduction (well...except for the Navy part). Delightful reading.

john
  • Shalom!

My name is CJ Buchanan. I'm a 19yo numismatist from NW Ohio. I buy and sell coins for a (meager, but happy) living. I love collecting nice 20th century coins in NGC Fatties buffalos, mercury & Roosevelt dimes, walking Liberty Halves, and what not. I'll eventually venture into buying colonials and early Copper for my personal collection once my budget allows it.
    You may know me from instagram, YouTube, or the ANA where my usernames are always the same. I write for the "YN Corner" column in "The Numismatist", I have won first prize in ANA literary awards two years in a row, and I have an article coming out soon enough in "Penny-wise".

I also am an avid chess player.

Thought I'd finally join the fun. Seem like these discussion are much less disastrous than the NGC and PCGS forums, lol.

I am very glad to see another YN join. The more there are, the more the future of the Hobby will be secure.

I have read some of your previous literary achievements. The hobby is in need of continuing numismatic literary pursuit.

I am guessing you may have a non-numismatic library collection. If so, we can be the bestest young guy-old guy cyber friends on the CAC Board.

Welcome.

john
  • Thanks!
    Yes, I also like to collect old books. Older the better. It’s amazing what you can find at a garage sale for a buck.