Introduce Yourself! - Page 19 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Comments

• Welcome Amwldcoin & Niko. I've enjoyed watching you build your seated dollar set.
  • Nikoyoko said:

Hello Everyone!

Joined the forum back in Oct 2022, but just making the first post/introduction now. Based on all of the posts I've read through, still a relatively new collector (3-4 years into the hobby), but absolutely enjoy reading all of the knowledge shared here and viewing the amazingly beautiful stickered coins.

Very excited for CACG start, although it may be awhile until I receive submitting privileges. Until then, happy to be apart of the community!

-Niko

You had me at "...although it may be a while until I receive submitting privileges....".

I have been wondering about that myself for a year. I am a patient person, though. Somebody will answer sometime about us wannabe orphan status collectors. And thank you for giving me another platform thread to gently suggest to our Host there is still an Army of sufferers out here, waiting for the answer and the door to open.

In the interim, I suggest you sell your house, and buy all the CAC coins you can, to be ready to re-submit to CACG.

PS: You may not have been informed yet, and usually I am humble and silent about it, but I am the smart one around here. So.....

• edited February 2023
    amwldcoin said:

Surprised I'm here! I am 100% onboard with the new grading service and hope it becomes the top Grading Service.

I've been collecting since 1967 and set up as a dealer at my 1st coin show in 1993. At 1 point I was doing over 50 shows a year. When the pandemic finally eased it had changed my business considerably. Internet sales increased dramatically and are still going strong. Finally after many years of trying to get my customers to look at my coins online they finally did! I now only do 3 shows a year, the winter FUN show and the 2 Dalton, Ga shows. I do travel to some shows to buy if I need inventory and am not feeling lazy! :#

I hope I am able to contribute here and avoid the drama from the other place!

AmeriWorld Coins

I can attest to amwlcoin’s extensive knowledge of how to grade barber halves, virtually as well as JA. Amwldcoins and I used to banter on a friendly basis on the CU form way back in 1996 or 1997 when the internet was still in its infancy. That was when the internet was the wild wild west.

I recall that amwldcoins was once very skeptical for the need for CAC as he felt very comfortable with his inventory of coins and the grades he assigned to them. I tried to explain to him otherwise that customers who were not as knowledgeable needed the additional verification of a fourth party grader.

I gather he finally realized that CAC was not in competition with his dealership but a necessary partner especially when trying to sell coins through the internet. Potential customers were limited to viewing coins only through photos which made it harder to evaluate the coin.

Welcome aboard old friend!
  • Welcome Niko !!!
  • It's me, same guy from that other forum. Retired physician with a very large commem collection and some early type. Im glad to be here to learn more about how coins are evaluated and judged to be among the better coins for a particular grade.

CAC green beaned earlier this year, PCGS AU55, old holder.

Awesome to see you here. Lee
  • MarkFeld said:

I’m Mark Feld and work for Heritage Auctions. Any opinions I express here will be my own, personal ones, unless I indicate otherwise.

I see many familiar names, some of them from a very long time ago.

I’ve been in the rare coin business since 1979, when I went to work for Steve Ivy. I’ve also worked for David Hall, Mark Salzberg and Pinnacle Rarities, been a grader at NGC and had my own one-man dealership. I enjoy working with and helping collectors navigate this sometimes-treacherous hobby of ours.

Awesome! Lee
  • john said:

LeeG1957 said:

Hi Yawl. Living in the Hampton Roads Virginia area. I'm an active researcher of the Early Commemorative coin series. Also like early copper and have a birth year Mint and Proof set on NGC. Dabble a bit in my Dansco 5050 also.

I hope to be able to contribute here.

Glad you are here, Lee. I have always admired your Commemorative coins commentaries. 

Much thanks John!
  • JW77 said:

Jacob (Jake) here from Oregon. Started collecting about 20 years ago. Sold off most of my collection(primarily classic gold) and sat out for about 5 years. Caught the bug again and now focusing on a Silver Type set and Classic Silver Commemoratives. Here are a few pics of my favorites

Beautiful Norfolk!
  • Greetings,

I'm Mike Printz and I'm the senior numismatist for Harlan J. Berk, Ltd. I've been a full time dealer for 30+ years specializing in early U. S., Type and better date 20th century. Will be great to see the evolution of this forum as there are certainly some great collectors and seasoned vets present already!

Mike Printz

Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.

Hi Mike. Lee
  • NicNic
    edited March 2023
    LeeG1957 said:

Hi Yawl. Living in the Hampton Roads Virginia area. I'm an active researcher of the Early Commemorative coin series. Also like early copper and have a birth year Mint and Proof set on NGC. Dabble a bit in my Dansco 5050 also.

Do you recognize this? @LeeG1957

• sure enough
  • Nic said:

LeeG1957 said:

Do you recognize this? @LeeG1957

simply awesome 1921 cent! Do tell more.

• Sean here, from Merriam KS. I'm a long-time collector but have recently gone all-in on the capped bust half dime series. In the last few years, I've joined the JRCS, ANA, and my local county numismatic society. I have registry sets in those other places but I may end up consolidating here. I am looking forward to the disruption (in a good way!) that CAC Grading will bring.

If anyone's got any attractive / scarce / interesting capped bust half dimes for sale or trade, I'd love to hear about 'em (and I can provide references, lol!)
  • bikergeek said:
    Sean here, from Merriam KS. I'm a long-time collector but have recently gone all-in on the capped bust half dime series. In the last few years, I've joined the JRCS, ANA, and my local county numismatic society. I have registry sets in those other places but I may end up consolidating here. I am looking forward to the disruption (in a good way!) that CAC Grading will bring. If anyone's got any attractive / scarce / interesting capped bust half dimes for sale or trade, I'd love to hear about 'em (and I can provide references, lol!)
    Welcome Biker
  • Hiii all, new user from India. Yoroshiku.
  • Welcome, Leon.....Onegaishimasu.
    Enjoy the Board and the members...all have a lot to contribute.
    It is important to know that I am the smart one. And everyone likes me.

PS: I feel bad that I overlooked bikergeek. In my defense, on that day I was experiencing a stunning paralysis caused by reading the comments of another "CAC fan".

Anyway, Welcome bikergeek, and the same message posted to Leon is also for you.
  • Hey, thanks @Vincent.Savage and @john! The board didn't notify me of your welcome messages and I'm late in acknowledging them - but I do appreciate it! It's also very helpful to know who the smart and likable ones are, so I don't have to weed through those others. hahahah!
  • Hello all and John- My name is Barry and I am a very long-time collector. I love early US silver and have a pretty nice set of Early Draped and Capped Bust dimes, half dimes and quarters, My favorite coins are originally toned coins that have a story to tell. Huge fan of CAC and JA. When CAC started some time ago, it regenerated my interest in coins because I felt that "if it was good enough for JA then I was good enough for me". This thinking helped me develop a better eye for coins and enhanced my son's interest in coins. My son and I are still going strong and wish the absolute best to JA and CAC new grading service. Congrats to everyone and looking to participate in these forums in the future.
  • Welcome. I like the personal preference List.

I try to state this when welcoming new members, when I remember to do so:

I am the smart one an everybody likes me. It is a burden for me to repeat this so many times, but the personal sacrifice is humbly given in the Service of our Hobby.

(PS: I hope you are not THAT Barry...he has a few issues.)
  • Long time listener over there (started on forums in 2007), first time caller over here. Grateful to be part of the hobby and the community. Right now, primarily working on a Morgan MS66/6+ set.

Thanks for having me, CAC overlords. Definitely very welcome to see a new TPG -- wishing you all the best success.