Introduce Yourself! - Page 4 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Introduce Yourself!

Comments

• Hello All,

Thanks for the invite. My collecting went on a long break(20yrs or so). I came back to it about 10 years ago with vigor and a newly found appreciation for pcgs graded coins. Didnt see the value of CAC for a few years, then witnessed many coins sell for such an increase in value. Did my facing of fears of being rejected and the wait process of becoming a CAC member. And now I am Very Happy I did.

My hope is that I will continue to learn from the collective bunch of nerds we are.

Thanks for having me.

Paul

• Hi

I haunt many of the other boards. I joined to listen and learn. May not have anything of significance to add, but hopefully I'll be able to pick up new info from a different perspective. Time to slink off into the background

• It sure is nice to see familiar faces here!

I am DelawareDoons. I am Delaware born and raised. I spent my summers as a kid on the Delaware beaches, hence the username. I am also known as a "no nothing". Coincidentally, I am also a former Legend client.

I also agree it will be nice to be at a place where misinformation will not be tolerated. Hopefully personal attacks will not be either. Or constantly derailing threads to talk about themselves instead of the subject matter at hand. Hopefully we can all keep the bragging in check, and leave our egos at the door to discuss coins candidly. I also hope we can openly discuss some of the more questionable business practices that large dealers engage in, to the detriment of collectors and the hobby as a whole, to the end of eliminating these practices. I understand it is not really relevant to the TPGs and that is why they don't like it discussed on their forums, but given CAC's position as a market maker, I certainly think it is more appropriate to be discussed here, and hope to see it come up when the time is right.

I want to also take a moment to thank Legend for sponsoring this "chatroom". We all know what Legend thinks about forums. Hopefully this sponsorship does not impact moderation standards.

Thanks for responding to my email, Laura!

• Hey everyone,

Nick Almeter here. I am glad to be part of such a well informed crowd. I have loved collecting coins all my life. With the horsepower I've already seen on this thread, I really look forward to learning more and seeing some really exciting numismatic beauties. If I had to state a specific interest, I would say CAC'd 1851 coins. I am trying to put together a nice original year set. Let me know if you have any to show.

Here is one of my favorites that I got from Doug Winter (Raregoldcoins.com).

Best Regards,

Nick

• Former dealer. Eleventh member of CoinNet when it first started.

I also "haunt" many forums. Hope to contribute a smidgen on here.

• Hello everyone! Name’s Cody. From the Kansas City region. Closest coin store near me is over an hour away, so it makes it tough to visit. Because of that, I rely on getting my coin “fix” through forums and chat rooms.

I collect a little of everything. I have a tough time focusing on one thing. Currently have been bit by the NGC fatty holder bug, so that’s been fun.

I don’t feel I have much to add, and mostly will hang and lurk while trying to pick up any knowledge you fine folks happen to drop.

• Hello all! It's fun to introduce myself yet again. Formerly nwcs on PCGS boards and TurtleCat there, too. TurtleCat is kind of a funny animal mashup my wife and I thought of to represent our son's personality. Still in my 40s somehow and have been collecting off and on since I was about 8. Over the last two years I've been slowly divesting myself of most of my random collection to largely focus on gold dollars but still have some other things to entertain myself. :) I'm currently 9/17 on my gold coin submissions to CAC :)

• Hi everyone, I', from upstate NY and love coin collecting. Recently got into graded coins and the CAC label. It's great to have that validation on coins, especially the rarities.

Frank

• edited December 2021

How do?!

U.S. type collector here on a journey to collect coins I like to own, regardless of perceived market value. I would say that 90% of my collection has the bean, but I note with some concern the bifurcation of the market where nice coins are identified (as intended) yet those that fail are considered objectionable without the sticker.

Not all "C" coins are bad coins. I know CAC would agree with that conclusion, but there are many collectors who will not consider a coin that might have a little rub which resulted in the coin not passing as an UNC. Witter Coin, a great hobby advocate, advises to buy CAC only (as noted in an Instagram post) Collector Winesteven won't add a coin that failed CAC to his high end collection. I don't call these two out to admonish (and there are many, many others), but to support my assertion that there are influential members of our hobby who reinforce this perception.

I'm glad to see another forum with knowledgeable members and I hope to continue to learn from them.

• John Curlis. Just trying to stay aware of the hobby happenings.

I am also interested in viewing a possible 'Mark' Hypothetical posit post

• edited December 2021

Hey I'm Olympicsos I'm from the NYC metro area and I look forward to interesting and insightful discussion here! I'm glad to see Laura here as well! Maybe one day, maybe, I'll be able to buy a nice MS66 CAC Saint from you!

• Hi all,

Tim here. Known as pointfivezero for my passion for .50 caliber rifles. Happy to be here and see all the familiar names. I've been collecting on and off (mostly off) since the mid-60's when my father introduced me to the hobby.

I've had a hate/love relationship with CAC. My initial experience was very unsatisfying but mostly due to inexperience on my side. By staying the course, the submission process has helped me evolve into a better and more discriminating collector as I recently professed to John and the team.

Tim

• Nice to see a new coin forum and I hope to see it succeed. I am following the herd from the PCGS forum to see what is happening in the new playground. I started off collecting change and filling holes as a kid. I recently completed the Dansco Lincoln cent set but I have become more of a type collector instead of a set collector. I prefer older coins to newer coins yet I still seem to acquire a lot of the new ones too. I am more of a lurker than a poster and I look forward to learning what the new CAC forum members have to share.

• Hello all. My name is my user name, believe it or not.

I have been a collector for over 60 years and was a dealer for about 15 years. I have a complete type set of U.S. coins plus a lot more. I also 19th century presidential campaign tokens, selected 19th century U.S. medals. and selected Hard Times and Civil War tokens. Over past four years I have branched out the collecting at least one coin for each British king from Alfred the Great to Queen Elizabeth II, and Roman imperial coins.

I have published articles in several hobby publications including FUN Topics. The Civil War Token Journal, The Numismatist, Penny-wise and in political items collector publications. Back in the '90s, wrote over 200 scripts for the ANA's "Money Talks" radio series. I am here mainly to share knowledge.

• Hello everyone,

First off, thanks for allowing me to participate in this forum. I hope to learn more about CAC.

My name is Donato DiVecchia. I live just outside of Boston, Massachusetts and first started coin collecting in 1987. My wife worked as a bank teller and she brought home some silver quarters and that's how my interest in coin collecting was sparked. Unfortunately, the interest in coin collecting at that time was short lived and I gave it up in the early to mid 1990's to pursue my other passion of collecting Nolan Ryan baseball cards. In 2017 I returned to coin collecting and decided to try and put together a few sets starting with a PCGS Basic US type set, then a PCGS Dansco 7070 Modified US type set and finally a PCGS Complete US Type set. I hope to complete the first two sets in my lifetime, but the Complete US type set is just a dream and I want to see just how far I can get. About 30% of my coins have a CAC sticker and I feel that they add value to the coin.

Donato

• I'm just here to argue with Mark Feld and get coin doctoring tips from Rick Sears.

• edited December 2021

Hi all. I am quitting collecting. Just in the nostalgia phase now.

• Salute! as my Grandfather used to say. I keep a 30K foot perspective on the market. Stay outside the circle mostly so as not to skew decision making influenced by the strong personalities in the market.."strong" may be too muted.

Attended the '87 Norweb at the St Moritz as a young man. Did not buy enough...still haunts me.

Buy and sell and hope to enjoy the knowledge and witty banter.

• edited December 2021

Hello everyone and thank you for the invitation, I'm flattered to be here. My name is Dan Pankratz, I reside in Northern California. My main focus is SF gold to about 1876, originally all denominations, since pared way down to just the $5 pieces with any real intent (I'm the owner of the PCGS registry set "The Dock of the Bay"). I also collect exonumia from California ghost towns, especially those in the Santa Cruz mountains, as well as some of the neater modern tokens / overstrikes. I also have the Lincoln pennies I collected as a kid with my Dad, and a neglected set of circ Morgans in a Dansco.