Define ***** and expensive ***** - Page 4 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Define ***** and expensive *****

124»

Comments

• edited January 2022
    Which do you think will bring more at GC or HA? The over-graded (by a hair) "A" coin or the solid "B" coin stickered.
    Which is better? rhetorical
    Are either crap?

cf: Thos Crapper (1836-1910) - Victorian plumber who perfected the flush toilet. ;)
  • ptolemyII said:
    Which do you think will bring more at GC or HA? The over-graded (by a hair) "A" coin or the solid "B" coin stickered. Which is better? rhetorical Are either crap? cf: Thos Crapper (1836-1910) - Victorian plumber who perfected the flush toilet. ;)
    Probably the A coin if the gap between grades is sufficient. Otherwise the B coin is more desirable for the grade and will do best. Better is the B coin that is solid for the grade. But if there is a difference in eye appeal I would buy the nicer coin probably but that is just a ball park idea 
  • I would like to see the term, "dreck" permanently removed from the numismatic world.
    It's recent and seemingly undefinable and of no constructive value.

:#
  • Stevie said:

ptolemyII said:

Which do you think will bring more at GC or HA? The over-graded (by a hair) "A" coin or the solid "B" coin stickered.
    Which is better? rhetorical
    Are either crap?

cf: Thos Crapper (1836-1910) - Victorian plumber who perfected the flush toilet. ;)

Probably the A coin if the gap between grades is sufficient. Otherwise the B coin is more desirable for the grade and will do best. Better is the B coin that is solid for the grade. But if there is a difference in eye appeal I would buy the nicer coin probably but that is just a ball park idea 

I asked you a very direct question. Due diligence pls. If you don't know the price levels of the most generic coins, you will continue to be lost.
  • what about an overgraded “switched” 1925 Saint supposedly graded MS-62 in a genuine and perfectly cracked opened black NGC 1.0 slab that I enjoy studying.

The coin is dreck but the slab is a treasure. I get many more offers on this slabbed coin than the lovely 1928 PCGS/CAC MS-67 Saint I also own.
    A perfect example of how a nice coin got removed from a cleverly “slit” black NGC 1.0 slab and an inferior coin put in its place.
  • What do these terms mean to you?

Any SBA dollar priced over face value.

• Yeppers 

So all dipped coins, including those stickered by CAC are “dreck”. Got it.

Glad you caught my drift 😄

According to this article by a distinguished researcher the very best advanced collectors and professional numismatists prefer originality above all !!

https://coinweek.com/featured-news/understanding-classic-u-s-coins-building-excellent-coin-collections-part-2-dipped-coins/
  • One man's dreck may be another man's treasure. This kind of language doesn't promote the hobby well. I believe it's a term used too often.
  • Dreck is only a term I chose to use. No one said its woven into the hobbies language.

I refuse to hide the truth about what is in holders. Bad coins hurt everyone. They exist, we can't pretend they do not.
  • Legend said:
    Dreck is only a term I chose to use. No one said its woven into the hobbies language. I refuse to hide the truth about what is in holders. Bad coins hurt everyone. They exist, we can't pretend they do not.
    Bad coins don’t hurt the hobby, coin claimed to be better than they are and sold accordingly are bad for the hobby. The source overstating their virtues can be a TPG, dealer, collector and the one hurt is the one holding the potato. 

Just because a lesser than coin trades at a suppressed value and skews the auction histories, doesn’t hurt the hobby. It might make it harder for a dealer to get premium monies but that is kind of good for the hobby in its own way. Pricing isn’t supposed to always support higher values 
  • Legend said:

Dreck is only a term I chose to use. No one said its woven into the hobbies language.

I refuse to hide the truth about what is in holders. Bad coins hurt everyone. They exist, we can't pretend they do not.

Yes, I aways considered you as the originator of the term. Works good for you and is understandable in your usage. It's the folks who try to spread it who aren't clear on an exact definition.
  • edited January 2022
    Legend said:

WOW, I perpetuate the BIG LIE?

That line from that Britney Spears song? "Oops, I said it again...... I'm not that innocent". >:)
    Legend said:

BTW, really expensive dreck: the $1 1804 PCGS PR68.

• No such thing as a dreck coin with a CAC sticker though, right?
This discussion has been closed.