Should True Views be used on this Forum — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Should True Views be used on this Forum

I would like to see the actual photos of the coins in their respective holders. Too many true views which inflate the coins look and disguise the marks on the coin. What do you think?

Comments

• Not everyone has the skills or equipment to take good photographs of coins. While some TVs are not great representations of the coin, many are. 
  • All pictures tell a story that may be incomplete 
  • Aren't TV's shot when the coin is not slabbed?  I think many Trueviews are quite useful.  I also haven't been able to have Todd photograph my collection for the last five years or so.  As a consequence, for many of my coins, a TV may be the only photo I have.
  • edited January 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Many people who do full slab shots use compositing of the slab with one lighting setup and the coin with a different one. The simple fact is you don’t know how well any given photo represents a coin. That said, all photos at least give you some ballpark idea. 
  • edited January 2022
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TurtleCat said:
    Many people who do full slab shots use compositing of the slab with one lighting setup and the coin with a different one. The simple fact is you don’t know how well any given photo represents a coin. That said, all photos at least give you some ballpark idea.

@ColonelJessup said - If you'd like to use the 35P $1 to refute your own generalization, feel free. I've been using the Heritage slab images and trueviews and often go through lots exhaustively. I've also looked at a few billion dollars of raw coins. My observation would be that, on a percentage basis, TV's are less reliable than any other commercially available image. 

......................Pencil rubbings?     ;)
  • TurtleCat said:
    Many people who do full slab shots use compositing of the slab with one lighting setup and the coin with a different one. The simple fact is you don’t know how well any given photo represents a coin. That said, all photos at least give you some ballpark idea.

@ColonelJessup said - If you'd like to use the 35P $1 to refute your own generalization, feel free. I've been using the Heritage slab images and trueviews and often go through lots exhaustively. I've also looked at a few billion dollars of raw coins. My observation would be that, on a percentage basis, TV's are less reliable than any other commercially available image. 

How could I possibly use one image of a coin to refute the other image of a coin without seeing the coin in hand? Your example does not in any way take away from my statement that a photo can give a ballpark idea. But… I can certainly tell several things from both: type, date, some light peripheral toning, some degree of luster, and fewer marks. 

I have said many times on the CU board that TVs are largely glamour shots, especially of proof and high grade coins but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t represent the coin at all. I’ve read plenty of complaints about each auction house photos as well. If one or more work for you that is great but it’s still a photo where the photographer made choices about what to highlight and where to place the lights. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Stevie said:
    I would like to see the actual photos of the coins in their respective holders. Too many true views which inflate the coins look and disguise the marks on the coin. What do you think?
    How would you ensure non-TrueView photos meet your standards?

Would we need CACView Coin Photo Approval service?
  • Zoins said:
    Stevie said:

No. Just normal photos from an I phone will suffice. Nothing fancy intent
  • edited January 2022
    Stevie said:
    Zoins said:
    Stevie said:

It could be interesting if your intent is to disallow all DSLR and Photoshopped photos. Most commercial services don't use iPhone photos. Would you seek to disallow all photos from say NGC PhotoVision, Heritage, Stack's Bowers, Great Collections, Coin Rarities Online, Doug Winter, etc.

Personally, I like more photos and I like seeing multiple photos of the same coin, but I like understanding different points of view.
  • Zoins said:
    Stevie said:
    Zoins said:
    Stevie said:

It could be interesting if your intent is to disallow all DSLR and Photoshopped photos. Would you also seek to disallow all photos from NGC PhotoVision and auction services /dealers like Heritage, Stack's Bowers, Great Collections, Coin Rarities Online, Doug Winter, etc.

Personally, I like more photos and I like seeing multiple photos of the same coin, but I like understanding different points of view.
    Just like photos of the real coin, no other agenda intended 
  • edited January 2022
    Stevie said:
    Zoins said:
    Stevie said:
    Zoins said:
    Stevie said:

It could be interesting if your intent is to disallow all DSLR and Photoshopped photos. Would you also seek to disallow all photos from NGC PhotoVision and auction services /dealers like Heritage, Stack's Bowers, Great Collections, Coin Rarities Online, Doug Winter, etc.

But how would you implement that? You indicated an opinion of TrueViews. Would you provide an opinion on the other ones I mentioned and everything posted? If not, how could the forums objectively address all the different photo sources posted? Or would you be ok to single out TrueViews and not provide a blanket policy?

I don't necessarily agree with iPhone only photos but at least it can be easily implemented across all photos posted, even if it means also disallowing the other ones I listed.
  • Zoins said:
    Stevie said:
    Zoins said:
    Stevie said:
    Zoins said:
    Stevie said:

But how would you implement that? You indicated an opinion of TrueViews. Would you provide an opinion on the other ones I mentioned and everything posted? If not, how could the forums objectively address all the different photo sources posted? Or would you be ok to single out TrueViews and not provide a blanket policy?

I don't necessarily agree with iPhone only photos but at least it can be easily implemented across all photos posted, even if it means also disallowing the other ones I listed.
    I didn’t mean for it to be so seriously taken. Just meant I like to see the actual coin in its holder. That’s all. Great collections and especially David Lawrence do excellent photos of the actual coins in their slabs. True view is self serving acclaim to the collectors 
  • I have often seen TVs with a red emphasis that badly distorts the in hand view. For this reason I have had most of my collection photographed by robec. No one can perfectly capture a coin’s nature, but he is much more accurate. 
  • There's no reason slab photos of a coin should look much different from close-ups. Sure, different lenses are used. I use a 50mm macro to capture the whole slab . Close-ups are from a 200mm. But all other factors are consistent.

Where there is a great difference in appearance there has been a great change in technique. That's a disservice to collectors left to sort it out.
    Lance.

• Love the look of that coin Lance! Great photos!
  • edited January 2022
    I don't think singling out TrueViews is a good idea because some people really like TrueViews and CAC happens to have a mutually beneficial relationship with PCGS.

A potential option could be for people to "ignore", and thus not view, any posted photo.

One way to implement this could be to require a photo source for every photo uploaded and a user configuration to ignore photos tagged with the photographer/source, hiding it from the user's view.

This way, people that like them can view them, while others can have them filtered out automatically. And it would not single out PCGS, with whom CAC has a mutually beneficial relationship, since anyone can ignore any photographer.
  • TrueViews should certainly be used. It would seem a strong majority of PCGS submitters prefer them over other image sources based simply on the one-stop-shopping principle, And It's likely the only source of coin photography available for most too. For exactly this reason, their prevalence, they should be singled out. 

The reason for distrusting them is based on some dramatic outliers. Their inaccuracy, however, is better than nothing.

Perhaps the poster should let us know if he's seen the coin in-hand or not and, if so, offer confirmation or readjustment of tones and color intensities?