No sticker, Anyone receive a sticker upon a 2nd submission? - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

No sticker, Anyone receive a sticker upon a 2nd submission?

2»

Comments

• drddm said:
    I’ve had about 3-4 sticker when I’ve sent them in again for a second look. 
    Did you ask JA to review them or were they sent as new coins?
  • Another interesting question. Why do we need to get CAC rejected coins reholdered with a different serial number?  That would indicate a bias, which isn’t supposed to be there. I bought a three PCGS TPG pioneer gold coins all without sticker. I asked my dealer if they had been sent to CAC. He said he didn’t send them but if I intended to he recommended getting them reholdered with a new serial number in case they previously had been. I don’t have enough experience with resubmission to know but I don’t think it should matter. Does it?  Anyone know?
  • I don't think a new coin number specifically would help for sure. I  have never tried sending a coin to cac twice, but I bet they would be fair and honest with each coin.
  • edited January 2022
    A number of years ago I sent in an 1803/2 $5 PCGS MS61 OGH and (did not hope for but) expected a gold bean.
    It was an obvious upgrade and a gold would evoke more juice than green in the next grade.
    I wouldn't be telling this story if it went gold.
    I cracked it and sent it in raw.
    It graded MS62 and went green.
    Why?
    It was not, in CAC's opinion, a 62+.

Wait !
    CAC doesn't have separate verification levels for plus grades, so why would they have a 62+ grade internally?
    They will correct egregious numerical deficiencies. The "two-point upgrade" is at least "1.6".

CAC's 62+ is not the equivalent of either a PCGS or NGC 62+, though there is a great deal of overlap. This particular coin had the luster some 64's would envy, but also a "mostly" inobtrusive hairline.

• ptolemyII said:

A number of years ago I sent in an 1803/2 $5 PCGS MS61 OGH and (did not hope for but) expected a gold bean.
    It was an obvious upgrade and a gold would evoke more juice than green in the next grade.
    Why?

Wait !
    CAC doesn't have separate verification levels for plus grades, so why would they have a 62+ grade internally?
    They will correct egregious numerical deficiencies. The "two-point upgrade" is at least "1.6".

CAC's 62+ is not the equivalent of either a PCGS or NGC 62+, though there is a great deal of overlap. This particular coin had the luster some 64's would envy, but also a "mostly" inobtrusive hairline.

Who says that CAC has a 62+ (or other + grade) internally? They ignore plus grades when evaluating coins.
  • Stevie said:
    drddm said:
    I’ve had about 3-4 sticker when I’ve sent them in again for a second look. 
    Did you ask JA to review them or were they sent as new coins?
    I asked JA to review them for a second look but as my earlier post in this thread stated, I had one coin that was denied a sticker and then regraded at PCGS and awarded a sticker after it was seen again at the same grade with a different cert #. 
    Dave
  • edited January 2022
    MarkFeld said:

ptolemyII said:

Why?

Wait !

Who says that CAC has a 62+ (or other + grade) internally? They ignore plus grades when evaluating coins.
    I mispoke. My understanding is that a coin qualifies for a gold bean if it is high-end for the next grade. Whatever the CAC definition of high-end might be 66.5/66.6/66.7/65.8/ to qualify for upgrade to MS66, there is a point at which each grader must indicate a recommendation for this "high-end". I mispoke in calling it 65+. Maybe I might have call it 65++. Sloppy. It should be called 66+...

CAC has no internal "plus" grades, only a "higher" grade. I think it's important to make this point, which I think is much of the focus of @MarkFeld's concerns.

Many coins are priced as if CAC has validated the "plus", and this often (to usually) results in a higher value being assigned, particularly at auction. The buyer should be aware that any decision made about a TPG assignment of a "plus" grade should be made absent the assumption that CAC validates such a PQ assignment.

@MarkFeld should correct any further mess I've made. :s
  • I re-submitted two Morgans that I previously submitted - one 1878 7/8 TF Strong (NGC) and an 1878-CC (PCGS) Both MS64. I was surprised, yet elated that they stickered on their second try! I had purchased the first on ebay and the second at a local coin show.
  • I have had 2 coins sticker on 2nd try out of maybe 50 re-sent in same holders - so they do reconsider coins.
  • Wow! That is good to know, thanks!
  • WilliamJ said:
    Wow! That is good to know, thanks!
    Still bad odds 2/50
  • I bought a rare Liberty Eagle a while back, PCGS pop ~100 in all grades and total CAC pop of 2, knowing that it had previously not stickered. I had it regraded with resulting new certificate number (same PCGS grade) and it failed to sticker again.