Coin Series Collection — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Coin Series Collection

edited November 2021 in General

Which series are your favorites? Are there any in particular you are looking to complete? Discuss.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited December 2021

I’ve completed Proof Franklins, Shield Two Cent business strikes, Jefferson Nickels Basic Set, Proof (1938-1942), Mercury Dimes Proof (1936-1942), Twenty Cent business strikes, Walking Liberty Half Dollars, Proof (1936-1942), Classic Silver Commemoratives 50 coin Type Set, and every year Proof Set from 1936 - 1942. ALL of these sets are 100% CAC.

While I’ve “completed” a Standing Lib Quarter Full Head DATE set, I temporarily filled my last hole with a coin without a CAC (the other 13 coins each merit a CAC). I’m four coins shy of completing a Lincoln Wheat Cent DATE set, 100% Red, 100% CAC. I’m half way through completing an Indian Head Cent set, 100% CAC. To make this set more challenging for me, each of the IHC’s in this set must also have Rick Snow’s Eagle Eye Photo Seal in addition to a CAC.

My true pride and joy are my various Type Sets, including Dansco 7070 with and without Gold. Several coins in each of these sets require coins ineligible for CAC stickers. But EVERY coin in these various Type Sets that are eligible for a CAC sticker has a CAC sticker!

Back in January 2020 when PCGS started CAC composite Registry Sets, I used their tool to suggest about 20 new CAC composite sets. However, because they’re short-staffed, none have yet been added. Maybe some influential people participating in this forum can work with PCGS to start adding more CAC composite sets?

Steve

• After I completed my 1909 thru 1958 Wheat Lincolns back in the late 20 teens I started to work on some type sets, that and a few year date sets are my primary focus along with completing the Lincoln date and mm set from 1959 to current.

• The only set that I'm trying to complete right now is what I call the "Gold Obverse Date Collection"...the eight gold coins from 1838 and 1839 which feature the mintmark of the new branch mint (C, D or O) on the Obverse above the date. I currently have seven of the eight, all with CAC approval.

Here is a fairly recent addition and a date that I didn't think I would ever find with CAC approval as there are only six. This one is top pop CAC.

• My long-term objective is to collect all 187 Sheldon die varieties of the Draped Bust Large Cent series. I'm about half-way there. Still dreaming of cherry-picking an S-217 or S-218...

• I recently completed the Proof ASE set in 70 (except the 95w which I have but have not sent the whole 10th anniversary set in for grading yet. I am selling the whole collection now so I can start again on a new series TBD

• I wanted to complete an all CAC 12 coin gold typeset 1839-1933 which I finished. Beyond that I have gravitated to sets that involve rigorous hunts as opposed to substantial piles of cash. In other words, it is feasible that all the examples exist, and that I could afford them, as long as I could hunt them down. My currency obsession is an all CAC rattler Washington quarter circulation strike set 1932-1964. Some may not exist, but they could exist. So far I have 54 of 83 needed, with almost all stickered on my submissions. Not lofty, but a fun challenge.

• Bust half dollars. Liberty Seated half dollars. Walking Liberty half dollars - late date set. Liberty Seated dollars.

The late date set is complete, but I will upgrade. There are remaining issues to collect in the other series.

• As I am a collector and dealer both, the only set I am actively pursuing is the Toned Lincoln Wheat Cents Registry Set (aka ideally BN and beautifully toned Wheaties). As I upgrade pieces, I sell the dupes. I have completed the set at PCGS and am #4 Current/#5 All-Time Finest. They are certainly not all CAC, and I'm not really chasing after common later-date non-keys in CAC. That way lies madness ... 😮

Kind regards,

George

• At this point I am primarily a gold dollar collector. I don't know why I chose them but they are fun little guys. I have plenty of other types but my focus has been on acquiring these little ones.

• edited December 2021

I love Walkers and have a nearly full MS set. I, especially, like the early dates and look for the well-struck, original pieces with good luster.

I, also, deal in Morgans and, just this year, I started getting involved with Seated Liberty Dollars.

• I have a complete set of Proof Morgan Dollars- 31 coins including the 1921 Chapman, 1921 Zerbe and super rare 1878 7TF Reverse of 79 (maybe 9 minted? I have never seen another one in person or at auction). My set is a mix of NGC and PCGS coins and not all CAC but it has been the #1 registry set at NGC for the last ten years or so. I do still love them even after all these years!

• I don't have a favorite series. I like most older coin designs and that's why I chose to do a few different U.S. Type sets. I am currently working on 4 type sets. I've completed one set, the Basic Seated Liberty Type Set (1837-1891). I will likely upgrade some of the lower grades in this set so the average grade of the set will be a 64 of better. I hope to actually complete the Basic U.S. Coin Design Set (1792-Present) and the Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set (1796-Date) in the next 10-12 years. The Complete U.S. Type Set (1792-1964) is just a dream and my plan is to get as far as I can. All my coins are PCGS graded and about 30% have a CAC sticker. 

Below are the links to my sets.

Donato

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/basic-seated-liberty-type-set-1837-1891/publishedset/271370

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/basic-u-s-coin-design-set-1792-present/publishedset/248945

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/204027

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/complete-type-sets/complete-u-s-type-set-1792-1964/publishedset/202554

• The Red, Redfield holders.  I have several hundred.  Started entering them at the NGC website registry but forgot to finish.  The highest graded Redfield I have is a 66+ in the red holder.  I have a commanding lead in the race which will grow by miles when I finish entering the others.

Cheers!

• I exclusively collect 3c Patterns.  Lacking only 1, the J-1260 to be complete of known TPG certified coins.  I am convinced that the J-804 also exists uncertified.  I have been trying to track its existence for many years.  It last showed in a FPL on 7/17/1974 from American Gold Exchange, I believe located in Boston at the time and perhaps run by Michael Kirzner.  From what I have been able to establish, he had some relationship with Gaston Dibello in the late 1960s.  Dibello, who had a substantial pattern collection , sold in 1970 thru Stacks.  Dibello did not have any of the 1870s 3c patterns in his sale.  The FPLs from AGE in the 1974 time period had extensive patterns many of which appear to have been from the Farouk collection and many of which appear to have been sold during the Superior Crouch sale of 1977.  I have been able to trace many if
     not most of the 3c patterns and it appears that there are a number still existing in raw form perhaps in a collection or collections.  Any information regarding any of this would be much appreciated
  • Peace dollars and trade dollars. I have done many sets of peace and completed a fairly unprecedented set of trade dollars but I typically move on keeping a small tribute set of a few favs and move on. The moving on keeps me advancing in the pursuit of knowledge without becoming too specialized. Currently walking the isles and seeing what captures my imagination, thought about platinum rubles but they didn’t capture my interest as there isn’t many fans to connect with or books to read
  • I’m working on a CAC 50 early commem set. I’m currently at 46 out of 50. I have 11 or 12 gold cAc’s sprinkled in the 46. 

I haven’t decided what’s next yet, perhaps a 144 CAC early commem set? 
  • edited January 2022
    I’m working on a CAC 50 early commem set. I’m currently at 46 out of 50. I have 11 or 12 gold cAc’s sprinkled in the 46. 

I haven’t decided what’s next yet, perhaps a 144 CAC early commem set? 
    I am working on the same set, except all rattlers.  Currently at 28 acquired.  9 gold beans and one white label rattler in the mix.  Slow going, but fun.  
  • edited January 2022
    @Commemgems and @SilenceOfTheClams - It’s great seeing others getting involved with collecting Classic Silver Commems. 

Unfortunately too many in our hobby bash them, looking only at price history, and erroneously thinking that prices have not stopped falling. But as a generalization, prices leveled out about three years ago or so, and many prices have risen since then. The naysayers are missing out on some gorgeous designs, accompanied by many fascinating stories and wonderful history!

I started my 50 coin Type Set a few years ago, and recently finished. No gold CAC’s, but it is 100% CAC, and 33 of my coins have pluses - some purchased with them, but many obtained via Reconsideration. Here’s a hotlink to my set:

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/commemoratives/commemoratives-major-sets/silver-commemoratives-50-piece-type-set-circulation-strikes-1892-1954/publishedset/189058

Steve
  • I like the classic commemoratives in old green holders with CAC. I like the CC Morgans and the Indian $10, $5, and $2.5 eagles. Thus far my collection is a hodge-podge of the designs I like. I'm new, so I'm still sort of feeling my way around and trying a little bit of everything to see what sticks. I recently realized that the red Lincoln Cents appeal to me. If you had told me 5 years ago that I would someday pay $1500 for a penny, I would have said you were crazy. My tastes have evolved tremendously since I started seriously collecting a couple of years ago. I'm a long, long way from completing any sets, but I've got the beginnings of many. I love the hobby and collect what I enjoy, which is a little of everything so far. LOL
  • edited January 2022
    John, you mentioned red Lincoln’s. One of my sets (very close to completion) is putting together a Wheat Lincoln DATE set. To make it challenging for me, every coin must have a RED designation and have a CAC. But to keep it within my budget (and hopefully completable within my lifetime), it’s a “DATE” set, so I can avoid the tougher issues with certain mint marks.

Steve