Fugio Cents — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Fugio Cents

edited January 2022 in Grading
With PCGS reclassifying Fugio Cents as the earliest of all regular-issue federal coinage, will CAC consider accepting them again? 

Comments

• Nobody like Fugios?
  • If this came to pass I'd have a coin to submit.
  • Bought this one a few years ago, graded AU-58 by PCGS.

• edited March 2022
    Hello Patriot.  We will only sticker Fugios if there’s a policy change about all colonial coinage. I’m a big fan of Chain Cents and I don’t really feel right about them taking a back seat to Fugios. Ja 
  • JACAC said:

Hello Patriot.  We will only sticker Fugios if there’s a policy change about all colonial coinage. I’m a big fan of Chain Cents and I don’t really right about them taking a back seat to Fugios. Ja 

Thanks for the reply, and letting us all know how CAC will continue to treat Fugios!

I would disagree that they should be lumped together with all the other colonial coinage since PCGS found enough data to reclassify Fugios as a “Regular-Issue Federal Coin.” To me, they’re similar to Feuchtwangers (which CAC will sticker). They’re technically a Hard Times Token, but they’re also considered a privately minted Pattern (I would be interested in knowing the reasons why CAC does sticker these).

As for Chain Cents (I’m a really big fan of them too), I 100% agree with you that they shouldn’t take a backseat to Fugios. They’re always going to be the first coins meant for circulation that came from the US Mint (we’ll save the half disme argument for another day). That being said, the demand for Fugios has already risen with the reclassification; and I believe they should stand apart from the other colonial coinage and be considered by CAC, and I’m sure I’m not alone in that sentiment.

And thank you for all you do for this community, and I hope you and the rest of the CAC team are able to get caught back up this month!
  • Thank you Patriot. I appreciate your support. Ja