My CAC Type Collection Results First Time Submission - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

My CAC Type Collection Results First Time Submission

2»

Comments

• Stevie said:

But if it grades 67 I would have a big winner.

One way for young collector to learn, is to crack and try it. Here is your chance to make a name for yourself. No CAC 64 comes back 67! Then you can ask CAC for a gold bean after that.
  • Wabbit said:
    One way for young collector to learn, is to crack and try it. Here is your chance to make a name for yourself. No CAC 64 comes back 67! Then you can ask CAC for a gold bean after that.
    It has light pvc white and inert, 20 year old holder. I can’t chance a no grade. The coin is PCGS ms 65 now but JA says a 66 or 67 look. Can never CAC 

MarkFeld said:
    If it were me, I’d sell the coin as is, and buy a nice one with a CAC in the grade you want. But what I would do doesn’t have to be what you’ll do, and that’s ok. Steve
    But if it grades 67 I would have a big winner. 66 a profit as it costs me $170.
    By the way I am impressed with your SLQ collection. I find most SLQ have a original look that is dark crusty dull gray. I am having trouble finding an amazing eye appealing for 64 for my collection that has a little natural color or a fresh out of a roll look if dipped. Challenging in a 64 to find a coin with a great look 
    You asked what he would do and he told you. No need to reply “But....” You’re obviously free to do whatever you wish.

• Stevie said:
    Wabbit said:
    It has light pvc white and inert, 20 year old holder. I can’t chance a no grade. The coin is PCGS ms 65 now but JA says a 66 or 67 look. Can never CAC 

MarkFeld said:
    If it were me, I’d sell the coin as is, and buy a nice one with a CAC in the grade you want. But what I would do doesn’t have to be what you’ll do, and that’s ok. Steve
    By the way I am impressed with your SLQ collection. I find most SLQ have a original look that is dark crusty dull gray. I am having trouble finding an amazing eye appealing for 64 for my collection that has a little natural color or a fresh out of a roll look if dipped. Challenging in a 64 to find a coin with a great look 
    You asked what he would do and he told you. No need to reply “But....” You’re obviously free to do whatever you wish.

Mark do you see a 66-67 grade as a regrade?
  • Stevie said:

Stevie said:

Wabbit said:

Stevie said:

MarkFeld said:

If it were me, I’d sell the coin as is, and buy a nice one with a CAC in the grade you want. But what I would do doesn’t have to be what you’ll do, and that’s ok.

Steve

I already told you what I thought when you messaged me.
  • Stevie, all kidding aside, you don't really think a coin that CAC rejected at 64 can possibly be 66 or 67?
  • edited January 2022
    Wabbit said:
    Stevie, all kidding aside, you don't really think a coin that CAC rejected at 64 can possibly be 66 or 67?
    Wabbit you are getting mixed up. The Buffalo is MS 65 old holder, rejected for slight pvc only. JA told me the coin had a look of ms 66-67 if not for the pvc, that’s why I was thinking of regrade. Coin looks beautiful otherwise. 

• MarkFeld said:
    Stevie said:
    Wabbit said:

MarkFeld said:

I already told you what I thought when you messaged me.
    Mark I reviewed your previous messages but didn’t see a direct opinion if could grade higher after sending you more images. My apologies I wasn’t trying to be redundant.
  • @Stevie My Bad. I thought it was the SLQ.

Crack it, soak in acetone, and with a gentle q-tip rub to remove the PVC. Send it back in and see what happens. If John said what he said, you are good to go.

When others chime in and say don't use the q-tip. Ignore them. If you gently rub off the PVC, you will be fine. I have done it hundreds of times. Most "experts" who chime in have never even cracked a coin, much less removed PVC. This is not a proof coin where you will leave any noticeable marks.

Your only risk is if the PVC etched the coin. That is rare.
  • Wabbit said:
    @Stevie My Bad. I thought it was the SLQ. Crack it, soak in acetone, and with a gentle q-tip rub to remove the PVC. Send it back in and see what happens. If John said what he said, you are good to go. When others chime in and say don't use the q-tip. Ignore them. If you gently rub off the PVC, you will be fine. I have done it hundreds of times. Most "experts" who chime in have never even cracked a coin, much less removed PVC. This is not a proof coin where you will leave any noticeable marks. Your only risk is if the PVC etched the coin. That is rare.
    Appreciate your advice, but I dont know how to crack a coin or use acetone. I would send in for conservation if you agree that would work. Thanks 
  • Stevie said:
    Wabbit said:
    @Stevie My Bad. I thought it was the SLQ. Crack it, soak in acetone, and with a gentle q-tip rub to remove the PVC. Send it back in and see what happens. If John said what he said, you are good to go. When others chime in and say don't use the q-tip. Ignore them. If you gently rub off the PVC, you will be fine. I have done it hundreds of times. Most "experts" who chime in have never even cracked a coin, much less removed PVC. This is not a proof coin where you will leave any noticeable marks. Your only risk is if the PVC etched the coin. That is rare.
    Appreciate your advice, but I dont know how to crack a coin or use acetone. I would send in for conservation if you agree that would work. Thanks 
       Wabbit would my coin improve with conservation? The coins you have used acetone on did they improve in eye appeal?
  • It’s fairly easy to find common type coins in cac able states, if you can do that percentages with rare 19th coins you could be a dealer assuming it doesn’t take you years or vastly overpay to assemble the lot  
  • Crypto said:
    It’s fairly easy to find common type coins in cac able states, if you can do that percentages with rare 19th coins you could be a dealer assuming it doesn’t take you years or vastly overpay to assemble the lot  
    True, but not gold, and I got 2 and I would have got one for the Buffalo except for the slight pvc, JA told me so!
  • Stevie- Congrats on earning some stickers on your first submission. I definitely agree with Crypto in that there is a big difference when submitting 20th century and any 19 century coins. Especially Seated Dollars.

By the way. My 2 cents is to sell the Buffalo with the pvc on it and either purchase one with a cac sticker already on it or buy a nice example without PVC and attempt to CAC it.
  • SeatedNut said:
    Stevie- Congrats on earning some stickers on your first submission. I definitely agree with Crypto in that there is a big difference when submitting 20th century and any 19 century coins. Especially Seated Dollars. By the way. My 2 cents is to sell the Buffalo with the pvc on it and either purchase one with a cac sticker already on it or buy a nice example without PVC and attempt to CAC it.
    Thanks for your feedback. Why do you feel it doesn’t pay to go the conservation route? JA told me the coin is of 66/67 or so quality. Maybe I get a 66 or 67 and resubmit for a green or gold sticker. Please advise, thanks 
  • Stevie- This opinion is worth what your paying for it. I just just spent less then a minute looking up pops from PCGS and NGC. It’s not a rare coin. The way I see it there are thousands of 1926 Buffalo nickels out there that are equivalent or better then the one you have. If you sent it in for conservation you’d have to hope the pvc has not already damaged the coin. Plus your paying fees and will the coin out for months. I think it’s more likely then not that you don’t receive a 67 grade and likely end up with a 65,65+,or a 66. There is a big price difference once you get to the 67 level and pcgs will be hesitant imho to give that grade out. There is only a 300 dollar difference if your able to pull off a 66 which is a toss up. I don’t think it would be worth spending the money and rolling the dice which will end up netting you very little. If your not building a full set of buffs then there are hundreds of thousands of other Buffalo nickels out there for you to choose from. That is one reason I think you should just find one you like that is CACd and send this one packing. I prefer toning but that’s just me.

It sounds like you may be set on sending it already and if that’s the case please let us know how it turns out. Either way good luck.
  • I have never received a gold sticker. What exactly merits a gold? I have an au 55 coin and it looks like an au 58. I think it would make a solid au 58 and possibly still cac.
       Would that make gold? Or does it need to be better?

• WilliamJ said:

I have never received a gold sticker. What exactly merits a gold? I have an au 55 coin and it looks like an au 58. I think it would make a solid au 58 and possibly still cac.
       Would that make gold? Or does it need to be better?

Typically, in order for a coin to receive a gold sticker, a coin needs to be solid, if not high end for at least the next grade up. In the case of your coin, I think CAC would need to feel it graded 60 or better to award it a gold sticker.
  • Thanks for the information.
       Guess I'll send it to pcgs first, since it is not in an old holder, then to cac after that.