In remembrance of Mr. STACK — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

In remembrance of Mr. STACK

edited January 2022 in Events
Mr. HARVEY STACK passed away Jan 3rd  2022.
  Truly one of the greatest influential people of numismatics ever!   His legacy will forever be remembered. 
    I wonder if as CAC members can we send the stack family a sympathy card? Somehow with all our signatures, through an email or an actual card, or something??

Comments

• Also, please post any great memories that you have with him!!
  • edited January 2022
    Please, it's Mr. Stack.

I had the good fortune to meet Harvey when I was about 8-10 years old. In other words, it was more than a few years ago.😉 I grew up in Manhattan and my brother and I often visited Stack’s on Saturday mornings.

From the first time I met him, Harvey was incredibly friendly, gracious, helpful and entertaining, making me and my brother feel welcome. It’s still somewhat hard to believe that a person in his position would take the time that he did to chat with us and show us coins. He was truly an ambassador for our hobby.

My thoughts and condolences go out to his family, friends and associates.

• RIP Harvey
  • When I was 16 years old in 1969, I snuck into a big Stacks auction (all auctions are and were big to a 16 year old!). It was my first auction. I lived in Manhattan not too far from Stacks. It was a 2 mile walk for me.
    Harvey spotted me and questioned why I was alone and lectured me not to bid on any coins. He ordered me to sit in the front row and put my hand tightly under my rear end so there would be no chance I could raise my hand to bid on a coin. I loved watching the auction and loved the action. He would often look at me to make sure I was observing and learning. I never bought many coins from Stacks but he never minded. I always thought he had a wonderful head of hair until I found out that he removed his toupee years later. He was fabulous. RIP Harvey.
  • Most of you younger readers do not realize, Harvey Stack was the David Hall of his day.

In the 50's the numismatic world revolved around Stacks. He did have a heavy impact on the hobby
  • Best to post memories in the forum and I’ll make sure it’s delivered to Larry Stack with a sympathy card.  JA 
  • JACAC said:

Best to post memories in the forum and I’ll make sure it’s delivered to Larry Stack with a sympathy card.  JA 

Much appreciated, John.