Safety Tips for Shipping Coins - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Safety Tips for Shipping Coins

2»

Comments

• J2035 said:

Thanks CACfan - these are great tips. I use a lot of large recycled Amazon boxes which I stuff with packing paper to prevent rattling. Sometimes I double box as well. I think the recycled Amazon boxes give the perception that the contents are low value. I always use Priority or faster and use registered for anything over a few hundred dollars. Haven’t had any losses yet. 

You do not want your packages to look too unimportant lest your customers think that they are worthless and thus discard them without thoroughly searching through the packing material inside. Most of our retail buyers are senior citizens replete with memory issues such as not even remembering placing an order with us! But we email all of our customers to let them know that delivery is imminent.

Also, we thoroughly tape our merchandise to the inside of each box to help thwart thieves who reach inside. They will likely feel nothing but the extensive packing materials.

All USPS employees know that their supervisors or postal inspectors might be surreptitiously watching them at any given time, so the thieves among them try to be as discreet as possible. As such, we attempt to use every imaginable trick that will draw attention to their illicit activities. Spending several minutes with their hands in a package is would be like blowing a whistle.
  • not sure if it's been mentioned, but the tape used to seal all the seams on the box must be paper tape reinforced with fibers; otherwise the P.O. registered mail ink stamps won't adhere (to plastic tape). Really helpful thread!
  • ChasK said:

not sure if it's been mentioned, but the tape used to seal all the seams on the box must be paper tape reinforced with fibers; otherwise the P.O. registered mail ink stamps won't adhere (to plastic tape). Really helpful thread!

Postal regulations only allow gummed paper tape for use with Registered Mail. Other tapes can be peeled off and resealed with no evidence thereof.