Something that a surprising number of people misunderstand about CAC... — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Something that a surprising number of people misunderstand about CAC...

I’ve seen numerous comments by collectors on other forums, stating that CAC doesn’t consider designations such as FH, PL, FB, CAM, etc., when deciding whether to sticker coins. I’ve contacted CAC more than once, just to confirm that the designations are taken into account and have tried to get the word out there.

Comments

• thanks cowboy !

• edited November 2021
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Tons of misinformation about CAC out there - beginning with that CAC is a grading service. I always try to put out the small fires and correct people when I see it.

I can see where people get confused about destinations and only focus on the numerical grade - not knowing the designation is part of the grade and CAC issues an opinion based on all of it.

• edited December 2021

I find many collectors, and “supposedly” some dealers, erroneously think that a CAC sticker on a coin with a plus grade means that CAC feels that coin is “solid” as a plus. As those on this forum well know, that’s not the case. That coin is solid only for the whole grade number shown, without the plus!

Steve

• I can't say I've thought too hard on the criteria other than coins with the sticker represent a nice example and will likely trade at a premium over an example without.

Accurate or not, I've tended to translate the Green Sticker to mean solid for the grade designated by the TPG, unmolested/original, and an "A" coin example for the grade and issue. For the Gold Sticker, I've operated under the assumption all the previous mentioned traits are in place for the next grade up in CAC's opinion.

• Does this also apply the designations related to color (i.e. RD/RB/BN cents)? If so, I believe PCGS and NGC have slightly different published standards[1][2]. Would the CAC qualification then be evaulated based on the current TPG?

[1]https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6605/learn-grading-red-brown-copper/

[2]https://www.pcgs.com/news/rd-rb-bn-grading-designations-on-copper-coins/

• edited December 2021

Agreed that CAC doesn’t operate like the other grading services, so it sort of isn’t one. But it’s used as one by so many people that it effectively is one, regardless of John’s (stated) intentions.

So am I banned yet? On my first post? Really??? 😂

• You do realize, @rick_sear, that @MarkFeld was a salmon in a previous life...

• Thanks for the clarification.

• So many familiar names here.

• CAC will sticker certain dipped coins, so don’t assume all coins with stickers are “unmolested/original”

• Count me in as now learning something new.

• So true! Most of my 20th Century silver is very highly lustrous, and either blast white, or close to it. YES, these coins have previously been dipped, but apparently gently enough to still merit a CAC sticker.

While most knowledgeable collectors prefer toning, as it typically proves “originality”, there’s a large silent group of collectors who share with me my taste in eye appeal. I know this from the very competitive bidding on auction lots in high grades with the eye appeal I like. To each his own, and that’s good for our hobby!

Steve

• In no way do I intend to make CAC seem bad, but I had a HEAVILY (ugly!!) toned 82-S I conserved, dipped then submitted. PCGS graded it 66+, and it CAC'ed. It's all there and a very pretty coin for what it is. I certainly don't see anything wrong with beaning coins that have been appropriately conserved/dipped. It's the coins that have been stripped of all originality via a dunking in ez-est or the like that should never bean.

I am actually darn proud of that conservation job I did on that coin. I eliminated the heavy, ugly toning obscuring the luster while preserving substantial originality and brought out a ton of flash that really lets the excellent surfaces show themselves off. This was graded/CAC'ed maybe 5 years ago? 100% stable, looks exactly the same today. Despite being a common date, I don't think I'll ever part with it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • He has always had a talent for managing to elude, when alluded to. It goes back to his 1L years.

• Well noted Mark on the allowances for dipped coins thanks for pointing that out here. Now that I think about it more that is certainly the case.

• I don't see how CAC could ignore taking Full Head, Full Bans, Proof-Like and CAM into account. Those designations usually have a significant effect upon the value of the piece. If you see a Standing Liberty Quarter, market "Full Head," which does not have all of the details, like ear hole, it's not CAC worthy in my opinion.

I have never seen a CAC approved coin with that sort of issue, but I have seen TPG coins that did leave one questioning the how it got a "Full Head" on the holder.

• @BillJones , CAC does indeed pass or fail based on most suffixes, including Full Head, CAM and DCAM. If they agree the coin is solid for the numerical grade, but not solid for the suffix, it FAILS!

Steve