Adjustment marks, Any CAC stickered coins? - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Adjustment marks, Any CAC stickered coins?

2»

Comments

• That is not an adjustment mark. A single scrape like that wouldn't do much to fix a weight issue.

It looks to me like a scratch that has been worn from circulation. Which is why it is less prominent across the star and Liberty's hair ribbon.

The TPG's are more forgiving about scratches like that on early federal coins, particularly when the coin is "all there" as this one appears to be. Lovely example.
    Lance.
  • Wow! What a splendid quarter.
    Lance.
  • That's a beautiful Quarter!
  • How would you classify the diagonal lines on the reverse here? This coin is CAC approved…

• lkeigwin said:

That is not an adjustment mark. A single scrape like that wouldn't do much to fix a weight issue.

It looks to me like a scratch that has been worn from circulation. Which is why it is less prominent across the star and Liberty's hair ribbon.

The TPG's are more forgiving about scratches like that on early federal coins, particularly when the coin is "all there" as this one appears to be. Lovely example.
    Lance.

I’m with Lance on the above and he’s very good company to keep!
  • This one is CAC approved; a dealer described this top left line as an adjustment mark.  It is strange-looking though, but I feel like if PCGS/CAC thought it was PMD it wouldn’t have straight graded, let alone stickered.  Thoughts?

The line is a negative to be sure, but the surfaces are outstanding otherwise and I still love the coin. 

I have seen scratches straight graded with cac. All they need to be is toned over. 
  • edited April 2022
    Nick said:

How would you classify the diagonal lines on the reverse here? This coin is CAC approved…

edited: I was saying die polishing, but you were referencing the diagonal lines. Roller marks?
  • edited April 2022
    On first glance 1814 looks really nice.  Seeing while scoping the bourse before the crowd comes maybe buy something would instantly go to that guys table for closer look.  Do you feel these are coins you could move quickly?  Would buyers be discounting their offer (or pass) because of adjustment marks?

• Possibly roller marks.  I can't tell for sure from the picture, but an interesting coin it is.