Trimes ? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Trimes ?

NicNic
edited January 2022 in General

Do forum members like/love, dislike/hate, or care less about them? Why?

Thought to ask this question during the recent Simpson Sale.

I am in the love camp. I know at least one of the CAC guys enjoys them as well.

Great design. Unusual denomination. Old. Silver. Can tone wonderfully. Size and appearance often remind me of gemstones.

You?

Tagged:

Comments

• I give a thumbs up as they are basis of the entirety of my collection
  • I built the top 2 collection MS and PR pieces. I LOVE them either way.

They are so historic. Like the coin you pictured they can come beautiful. I just bought back for a Type set I'm building the Simpson 1857-which I have always considered the FINEST TYII.

I sold my personal PR set to Hansen. I'm glad he just added Simpsons 1865 PR68+ CAC
  • edited January 2022
    @Legend's personal affection for this denomination was in the forefront of creating much stronger public awareness of its virtues than had previously been held for this series.
    Hansen may own her old sets, but she owns the Redbook page :D ;)

@Nic probably means CAC grader Bill Shamhart, who's another very knowledgeable devotee.
    The names of those whose job it is to keep the "best grader in the business" from making too many mistakes are well-known, Shamhart's nationally going far back into the last century.
  • Legend said:
    I built the top 2 collection MS and PR pieces. I LOVE them either way. They are so historic. Like the coin you pictured they can come beautiful. I just bought back for a Type set I'm building the Simpson 1857-which I have always considered the FINEST TYII. I sold my personal PR set to Hansen. I'm glad he just added Simpsons 1865 PR68+ CAC
    I’ve always liked the design, but often found them to have eye appeal issues due to the composition. You did a really good job with the set you put together. We can see your inner collector coming out.
  • Nic said:

<

Do forum members like/love, dislike/hate, or care less about them? Why?

Thought to ask this question during the recent Simpson Sale.

I am in the love camp. I know at least one of the CAC guys enjoys them as well.

You?

I’m not particularly a fan, but my “One and only” for my Type Sets I believe is a very nice one. Graded MS67+ by PCGS w/CAC. Originally from the Longacre collection, but I bought it directly from Oliver Jung, who put together one of the greatest Type Sets ever assembled!

Steve

• Look at that 1851, study it. Nice coin. I mean heck, its a GEM example of a 171 year old obsolete coin!

Don't you wonder how a coin so tiny lasted for so long so nice!
  • edited January 2022
    Absolutely, and that concept is one of the top aspects of our wonderful hobby. Thanks for your kind words.

But while I’ve started putting together a few different sets of coins after having completed my Type Sets, I have no desire to put together a Three Cent Silver set by date.
  • A link to my Trime pattern collection. What they look like in different metal composition
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-patterns/specialty-sets/three-cent-silver-die-trials-1863-1873/alltimeset/196226
  • edited January 2022
    Absolutely GORGEOUS set, and so VERY special! You rightfully should be very proud! Super accomplishment! (I just left a comment on your set).
  • I find the different silver content and the branch mint to be interesting

• Nice die clash on this one. Is this cataloged as a variety?
  • Dr Bones you set is phenomenal! Can't be replicated and is true numismatic history!
  • Zoins said:

Nice die clash on this one. Is this cataloged as a variety?

Die clashmarks do not make a “variety”. They are a DIE STATE.

Varieties are large letters, small dates, head of 1794 etc.

Die states are changes to the dies during the minting process such as clashmarks, die cracks, lapping (think single leaves) or cuds.
  • Dr_Bones said:

A link to my Trime pattern collection. What they look like in different metal composition
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-patterns/specialty-sets/three-cent-silver-die-trials-1863-1873/alltimeset/196226

GREAT collection!

• For the Fatty Lovers and the David Hall Lovers!

• Dr_Bones said:

A link to my Trime pattern collection. What they look like in different metal composition

Holy Cow! You only have one coin that is not top pop? Amazing!
  • @Dr_Bones those copper patterns are amazing!
  • edited January 2022
    Legend said:

Look at that 1851, study it. Nice coin. I mean heck, its a GEM example of a 171 year old obsolete coin!

Don't you wonder how a coin so tiny lasted for so long so nice!

I wonder how the cowboys didn't lose all of them in the day! In the movies, I have seen silver dollars dropped on the bar, but never someone dropping 33 of these instead!

• My tiny coin affection is given entirely to the gold dollar series. :) I like the three cent coins but they just don’t call out to be to collect.