Blast White 1883 David Hall Flip dime. — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Blast White 1883 David Hall Flip dime.

MarkFeld said:

Legend said:

Hate to break to people-there is such a thing as a blast original white coin.

As stated, that’s of course, correct. However, generally, the older the coin is, the less likely that’s the case.

While working for David Hall in the mid 80’s I did witness the purchase of two rolls of blazing, color-free gem Seated Liberty dimes. I believe they were dated1883 and1884, though each might have been a year later.

I didn't want to hijack the other thread. @MarkFeld mentioned a roll of 1883 dimes that were blast white back in the day. I think I own one! It was as white as snow, right out of the flip. Look at the price that was paid back then!

Comments

• Bummer, I didn’t start working for David until December of 1985, so we couldn’t have bought the dime rolls until at least 1986. But yours doesn’t look at all bad!😉
  • MarkFeld said:

Bummer, I didn’t start working for David until December of 1985, so we couldn’t have bought the dime rolls until at least 1986. But yours doesn’t look at all bad!😉

Oh well! Was David still doing the flips when you started? I found a Gentleman who had a box of 20 or so of them, hiding in his Dad's closet for 30+ years. I bought all of them, with the invoices. It took a little while to explain that the dime was not worth $3200. (He was thinking they would all be higher since they were purchased long ago.)
  • Here are the rest of the invoices. It appears every single coin was priced higher than todays prices, but with the recent run up, not as far away as they were 4 years ago, when I bought these.

• And I can attest the Mr Hall personally prefers blast white over anything else.
    Me, I cannot stand blast white but I understand that there are numerous collectors that do and g-d bless them for that.
  • Wabbit said:

MarkFeld said:

Bummer, I didn’t start working for David until December of 1985, so we couldn’t have bought the dime rolls until at least 1986. But yours doesn’t look at all bad!😉

Oh well! Was David still doing the flips when you started? I found a Gentleman who had a box of 20 or so of them, hiding in his Dad's closet for 30+ years. I bought all of them, with the invoices. It took a little while to explain that the dime was not worth $3200. (He was thinking they would all be higher since they were purchased long ago.)
    Yes, we were still selling coins in those flips when I started.
  • Mark:

Were any of the coins sold by David Hall not enclosed in hard plastic cointains and instead directly inside the coin flips?
  • oreville said:

Mark:

Were any of the coins sold by David Hall not enclosed in hard plastic cointains and instead directly inside the coin flips?

Nope, they all had the hard plastic containers inserted into the flip. At least in the 100 or so that I own/owned.
  • edited January 2022
    Beautiful dime! 6 months ago this 1883 10c sold on Heritage for $1,920. I like yours every bit as much as this toned piece. NGC/CAC MS67: https://coins.ha.com/itm/seated-dimes/dimes/1883-10c-ms67-ngc-cac-ngc-census-22-0-pcgs-population-15-4-cdn-1-650-whsle-bid-for-ngc-pcgs-ms67-mintage-7-67/a/1331-7093.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515
  • Wabbit said:

oreville said:

Mark:

Nope, they all had the hard plastic containers inserted into the flip. At least in the 100 or so that I own/owned.
    I don’t recall having seen any other than in contains.
  • edited January 2022
    MarkFeld said:

Wabbit said:

oreville said:

Mark:

Whoops, I answered Mark's question by mistake! Sorry Mark.

:)
  • VanHalen said:

Beautiful dime! 6 months ago this 1883 10c sold on Heritage for $1,920. I like yours every bit as much as this toned piece. NGC/CAC MS67: https://coins.ha.com/itm/seated-dimes/dimes/1883-10c-ms67-ngc-cac-ngc-census-22-0-pcgs-population-15-4-cdn-1-650-whsle-bid-for-ngc-pcgs-ms67-mintage-7-67/a/1331-7093.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

I agree. An old friend of mine, speaking to toning always said, don't waste your money on Pastel Toning. I have lived by that.

The luster and white appearance of old coins like the above example, are also beautiful. By nature, I am a toning person, but I still enjoy a coin that looks like it did when it left the mint.
  • edited January 2022
    Wabbit said:

MarkFeld said:

Wabbit said:

oreville said:

Mark:

Whoops, I answered Mark's question by mistake! Sorry Mark.

:)
    No need to be sorry. 😉You were providing an answer based on your experience, just as I did with mine.
  • Realone said:

And I can attest the Mr Hall personally prefers blast white over anything else.
    Me, I cannot stand blast white but I understand that there are numerous collectors that do and g-d bless them for that.

@Realone I have found a few toned coins in David Hall Flips over the years. For example: