Submitting and Insurance — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Submitting and Insurance

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a beautiful 1892 Proof 68 Ultra Cameo Barber quarter. It is an absolutely gorgeous coin (to me at least) and I was thinking about submitting it to hopefully obtain a coveted CAC sticker. So my dilemma is whether to spend the money to ship/insure it not knowing if it would receive a sticker. I would think it has been submitted before but they won't release whether the coin has been previously sent in for "privacy reasons." What is the consensus of the experts here? Thanks! And if I do send it in, what is the best way to safely ensure it gets where it needs to go? I paid upwards of $12k for it, so I'm guessing insurance and shipping might be a bit "eyebrow raising" at the Post Office.

Comments

• The source of the purchase would likely give us a better idea as to if it were previously sent to CAC. Regardless, I would ship it to CAC and use private insurance. If you are swimming in this depth of the pool then you should already have and be familiar with insurance options. Use your own insurance and ship the coin either Registered or Express Mail to CAC and DO NOT purchase USPS insurance. If you go with Registered then be prepared to wait (a week, two weeks) for delivery to CAC, but if you go with Express Mail then pack at least as a box-in-a-box and use a large outer box. It may get there in one or two-days, depending upon where you are shipping from, and might cost more to send than via Registered.

In this case use private (numismatic dedicated) insurance, Express Mail (my preference vs. Registered at this time) with NO USPS insurance and at least double-box with a large outer box.
  • I have Hugh Wood, and bought the option where they insure coins, even if I ship them.
  • Wabbit said:
    I have Hugh Wood, and bought the option where they insure coins, even if I ship them.
    Is Hugh Wood cheaper than USPS registered insurance?  I just sent a $6,000 insured package and it cost me $36.
  • TomB said:

The source of the purchase would likely give us a better idea as to if it were previously sent to CAC. Regardless, I would ship it to CAC and use private insurance. If you are swimming in this depth of the pool then you should already have and be familiar with insurance options. Use your own insurance and ship the coin either Registered or Express Mail to CAC and DO NOT purchase USPS insurance. If you go with Registered then be prepared to wait (a week, two weeks) for delivery to CAC, but if you go with Express Mail then pack at least as a box-in-a-box and use a large outer box. It may get there in one or two-days, depending upon where you are shipping from, and might cost more to send than via Registered.

In this case use private (numismatic dedicated) insurance, Express Mail (my preference vs. Registered at this time) with NO USPS insurance and at least double-box with a large outer box.

Hi Tom,
    Thanks for the response. The only shippers I have ever used were USPS and FEDEX for sending coins to PCGS, and I've only done that three times with fairly inexpensive coins, so I haven't really looked into the insurance aspects as it wasn't expensive to send my 2021 Morgan $1's in and a few other less expensive coins. I purchased this coin from Sarasota Numismatics last year. The write-up done on it was indeed masterful.........and helped make the decision to purchase the coin after I'd seen photos of it. Here are photos of the coin...........

• WilliamJ said:

Wabbit said:

I have Hugh Wood, and bought the option where they insure coins, even if I ship them.

Is Hugh Wood cheaper than USPS registered insurance?  I just sent a $6,000 insured package and it cost me $36.

Hugh Wood is insurance on your coin collection. (Up to the amount you select) There is an option that covers them in shipping, so you are not paying each time you ship. If you ship coins often, like I do, it is by far the cheapest option out there.
  • Interesting, thanks. I'll have to check into Hugh Wood. It probably would be good for me and my collection.
  • Shipandinsire.com costs 0.11 per hundred for USPS registered , 0.18 for Fedex Priority overnight, and 0.22 for usps express, and 0.28 for priority mail. I use priority mail for small stuff and fedex priority for the big boys. Anybody got a better price/coverage?
  • Wow! That is a lot cheaper from what I was paying.
  • Shipandinsire.com costs 0.11 per hundred for USPS registered , 0.18 for Fedex Priority overnight, and 0.22 for usps express, and 0.28 for priority mail. I use priority mail for small stuff and fedex priority for the big boys. Anybody got a better price/coverage?

Do you have to be a coin dealer to use them? I am a member of NCG but not sure if that is enough for them to approve me. Their application asks how often every month I would use their service and if I used it twice a year that might be pushing it. Thanks, karl

• Good question! I was wondering about the restrictions ect... also?
  • I have a submission question...does CAC have a preference on how the coins are packaged for submission?
    Do they prefer the coins be in PCGS/NGC boxes or individually wrapped...?
  • I individually wrap each coin. I don't think they care what kind of box you use. I just use a plain postal box. My main concern is that no holders get chipped from rattling around too loose ect...
  • So I was digging a little bit into NACA last night, just using stuff they disclosed on their website. Seem like it is a for-profit advocacy group linked to a big dealer in Lancaster PA named Dennis Steinmetz. (Seems like he ist he ultimate wholesale seller/buyer of collections This must be where Michael Barr coins gets their massive supply. ) They require that you belong to a club or group affiliated with NACA —website here https://www.nacacollectors.com/
    ANA and NGC qualify , but no mention of PCGS or CAC.

One interesting thing I wasn't aware of, or conveniently forgot, is that dues are $130 a year to belong to the Fedex discount program.
    Finally I discovered a thread on the NGC coin forums which boasted how south central Pennsylvania has the best material at their coin auctions of anywhere. I know they have some pretty good gun shows too.
  • I used the PCGS box and prefer it. Haven't got any issues with it yet. So, I got no reason to switch from it.
  • edited April 2023
    I believe the best way to send coins is usps priority 1-2. days as it eliminates extra time in the postal system and is fast and effective. But not perhaps for very expensive coins over $1000. 

That is ...shipandinsUre.com...

No dog in the hunt but had to post.
  • Keep the limits in mind, I think it’s 10k for priority mail, 75k for registered and fedex overnight. And 25k for fedex2 day.
  • Well, it looks like the OP hasn't been here in 15-months and the cert number for the coin (5743089-001) shows up with no CAC sticker. So, I guess we can surmise either the coin was never shipped to CAC or it failed inspection.
  • TomB said:

Well, it looks like the OP hasn't been here in 15-months and the cert number for the coin (5743089-001) shows up with no CAC sticker. So, I guess we can surmise either the coin was never shipped to CAC or it failed inspection.

Or the mail got really slow on this shipment? 🥶