Coins that qualify for the “ownership adds a point or two” collection. — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Coins that qualify for the “ownership adds a point or two” collection.

edited January 2022 in General
I have stated the concept of “ownership adds a point or two.

They are not necessarily expensive coins but rather inexpensive coins that the owner falls in love with but is hideous to everyone else.

Come on, we all have them!

Even the best collectors and dealers have them!

No shame in showing us the worst of the worst!

Good for a few laughs.

Comments

• i am searching for the photos of my former holdings that JA finally convinced me to sell them after many years of ownership! Selling them broke my heart.

I will post photos of my Hall of Fame “ownership adds a point or two” as soon as I can.
  • edited January 2022
    Flying Eagle Cents, 1856 1C --Damaged--ANACS. VF Details, Net Fine 12. ...

I loved this cent because I got a very good price for it.

The punch mark was beautiful to me and horrified everyone else.

I also had a wonderful AU-50 1856 1c FE cent in PCGS OGH holder and stickered by CAC

I asked JA at the CAC location back in 2008 why I should not keep both cents.

He replied: "more than one 1856 FE cents is one too many."

Astonished, I stated "my friend currently has 250 mint state Oregon Trail Commems. Isn't that also way too many?"

JA replied " Ohhh I love Oregon Trails, you cannot have too many of them!"

I retorted "But 2 is too many 1856 Flyting Eagle cents?"

I think JA was just toying with me but my friend was in the room with John and me and gave a thumbs up smiling broadly.
    I was devastated.
    I ended up selling the ANACS 1856 FE cent at Heritage in 2009.

• Didn’t collector John Beck own 650 or so 1856 flying eagle cents, most mint state. His collection was auctioned by Kreisberg- Cohen of Beverly Hills in the 1970s. The 1856 FE cent is not a rare coin, not even scarce. All you have to have is the $ and you can buy as many as you want. And there are many patterns too. Now those are scarce.
  • mellado said:

Didn’t collector John Beck own 650 or so 1856 flying eagle cents, most mint state. His collection was auctioned by Kreisberg- Cohen of Beverly Hills in the 1970s. The 1856 FE cent is not a rare coin, not even scarce. All you have to have is the $ and you can buy as many as you want. And there are many patterns too. Now those are scarce.

Yes indeed. But I only had two.
  • I posted this coin on the PCGS boards back on August 31, 2007.

The posting included the following comments:

Here is a 1906 NGC AU-58 $10 gold piece I also acquired from the same collection.

Awesome coin! Undipped, old gold patina on this coin. Old time technical grading. You gotta love it. Cracking out? Not as long as I can have anything to do with it. Sticker candidate? Sure, why not? It does not mess with the old slab.

Yet this failed stickering from CAC only because the bag mark was big enough for JA to not label it solid for the grade. Whoa, JA can sometimes be very tough.

In my view, this coin should be technically graded as an MS-61 due to the deep bag mark in the field that is apparent in the picture but in all other respects, this coin is a solid MS-63.
    =====================
    A perfect example of "Ownership adds a point or 2."

• edited January 2022
    I don't know "Dean" but I liked this one enough to buy. It went into my type set and is the only Flying Eagle I own.

• mellado said:
    Didn’t collector John Beck own 650 or so 1856 flying eagle cents, most mint state. His collection was auctioned by Kreisberg- Cohen of Beverly Hills in the 1970s. The 1856 FE cent is not a rare coin, not even scarce. All you have to have is the $ and you can buy as many as you want. And there are many patterns too. Now those are scarce.
    Beck had 531 of them. I might have forgotten that number if not for an experience in 1973 or so, when I was 13. My family was visiting Los Angeles and of course I had to visit the big coin auction firms, which were Superior and Kriesberg-Cohen. I remember buying a Morgan Dollar from Superior, and nothing from K-C. But the thing that impressed me most was a glimpse inside the K-C safe, in which I spotted a double row box marked “1856 Cents”! I still wonder how many of the 531 coins were there on that day.
  • edited January 2022
    Not a cheap coin at all, but my “Ash Wednesday” Half Cent has that “distraction” that kept many bidders away when I bought this coin almost two years ago at a DLRC auction in February 2020. It fits the required bill in the OP above that I love it, but most others find that distraction hideous.

I bought it as an MS64RD with a CAC. I liked it so much, despite the distraction, that I sent it back to PCGS via Reconsideration. Sure enough, it came back with a “+” added on. Since the cert number remained unchanged, CAC automatically reapplied their sticker for only $3 (the resticker fee at that time). As such, it went from a PCGS Pop of 32, to a pop of only 3 (with only 7 finer).

Steve

• ash Wednesday?

you meant Ash Friday? I am not an expert on the right day of the week as I am Jewish.

LOL.
  • oreville said:

ash Wednesday?

you meant Ash Friday? I am not an expert on the right day of the week as I am Jewish.

LOL.

I'm Jewish too, but I think I got it right. You're probably thinking of Good Friday!
  • edited January 2022
    oh sorry....mixed up Ash Friday with Good Friday. I had to look it up as I had forgotten.

I kept looking at the half cent a while and wondered what was so bad with it until I saw the forehead. Then I understood.

You must be very religious to have wanted such a coin indeed. 😵
  • edited January 2022
    Religious, not so much, although I do go to services most Friday nights, and I do keep a Kosher home (but it's the house that's Kosher, not me, as I eat EVERYTHING when I dine out).

I bought the coin DESPITE the distraction of that large, obvious carbon spot. In my opinion, when there are very few of a coin in a particularly high grade, I'm OK lowering my standards a bit, weighing the Positive attributes of the coin versus the drawbacks. I need a Classic Head Half Cent for my Dansco 7070 set, and was willing to pay for a coin in this neighborhood (NOT MS64+RD, but MS64RD or MS65RB or MS65+RB). When this coin came up for auction, in my opinion the positive attributes outweighed that spot, knowing there were very few in this grade, AND with a CAC, so I pulled the trigger. Getting the "+" afterwards was just icing on the cake.

• I liked this MS65 when I bought it. It didn't upgrade or sticker.
  • edited February 24
    This is a 1945-P dime graded by ANACS as MS-61 FSB that PCGS refused to cross citing environmental damage but I still liked it enough to keep.

7 out of my 10 friends hate this coin. 3 of my 10 friends love this coin. JA looked at this coin then stared at me instead of the coin! LOL.

In major league baseball that is all-star recognition but in coin collecting that is an abysmal track record.

JA looked at this coin then stared at me instead of the coin! LOL.

• edited February 2022
    This coin I refused to unload.

Even my wife hated it. Maybe that is why I keep it around to annoy her? o:)