SB Whitman Balto show auction — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

SB Whitman Balto show auction

Interestingly, like Heritage FUN, SB announces their Whitman Balto auction will
occur the week after, not on site. This is the new trend, perhaps after the virus ends - if ever. This new practice avoids distracting show attendees from the bourse & avoids
draining $ from spending on the bourse. But will this result in auction bidding results? - so far it doesn’t appear so. But lot viewing may be affected - from my 2 visits to FUN Orlando lot viewing, you could run a herd of elephants thru the room - most unusual.

Comments

• With auctions being held after a show, the rationale behind a show having only a single auction becomes almost completely obsolete. Why not have half a dozen firms previewing their auctions? Why not a dozen?
  • edited January 2022
    With auctions being held after a show, the rationale behind a show having only a single auction becomes almost completely obsolete. Why not have half a dozen firms previewing their auctions? Why not a dozen?
    Well in a not-so-formal way that has been going on for years. Legend brings their Regency Auction coins for viewing at their table, Heritage had the future half cent sale available for viewing at their table at FUN, Great Collections had their next auction coins available for viewing such as the Duckor SLQs and the cool Virgil Brand die cap Morgan, and Stacks always previews upcoming sales. These viewings just occur on the bourse floor instead of a security room. 

Standing at the GC table at FUN I heard them repeat over and over to people unfamiliar with them “these are for sale, but not today- we are an auction company and the sale ends this Sunday- you can place bids through our website.”
  • I dunno. I think it might be good at a major show, but Legend Auctions will always do our sales at the PCGS Invitationals. It works better in a smaller venue.

In the end, auctions have become online events anyway.