Highest numerically graded gold CAC? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Highest numerically graded gold CAC?

Just wondering today. What’s the highest graded Gold CAC coin?

Without researching I would guess 66+.

Who has input, guesses or hard facts?

Comments

• I believe there was a five or six figure 68 with a gold bean floating around ebay a few weeks back.
  • edited January 2022
    There was a merc in a 67+ pcgs gold shield holder with a gold bean someone was trying to sell on the pcgs BST about a year or so ago.

I remember it due to not being able to recall seeing a gold sticker on a new holder at least around that time.
  • I checked most of the gold categories on the CAC pop charts and found a 1882 gold dollar in MS 67. I didn’t see anything higher with a gold sticker. 
  • If I'm not mistaken, the 1909 VDB matte proof Lincoln in 67+RB that went for $200k+ a few years back has a gold sticker
  • There is an 1880-S and 1881-S Morgan Dollar in 67 with gold CAC.
  • BustDMs said:
    Just wondering today. What’s the highest graded Gold CAC coin? Without researching I would guess 66+. Who has input, guesses or hard facts?
    Did you mean gold coin or any coin graded with a gold sticker 
  • edited January 2022
    + (plusses) aren't caced under cac grading rules, just sayin. So I know what you are trying to say, ie highest graded by grading companies but it doesn't stand true if CAC ignores the + (plus). In addition your playing field isn't level since the advent of the plus is relatively recent in grading co grading history and therefore shouldn't really count as highest graded option. I have gold faced stickered coins in old NGC no line fatties that are ms66 and are so under graded its sick.
    + Just wanted to add to your thread because plusses are bs imho, just more mumbo jumbo for the collector to deal with.
  • Stevie said:

BustDMs said:

Sorry, highest graded coin of any metal.

And thanks Realone for reminding me that CAC doesn’t separate plus grades.

I’m just adding to the mumbo jumbo.
  • edited January 2022
    BustDMs said:

Stevie said:

BustDMs said:

Sorry, highest graded coin of any metal.

And thanks Realone for reminding me that CAC doesn’t separate plus grades.

I’m just adding to the mumbo jumbo.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Anytime you mumbo @BustDMs, I pay attentio.
  • The highest Gold Stickered coins are graded 67.  There are over 50 such coins.  If anyone thinks they have a higher graded example, feel free to post its cert number here and we can look into it.  
  • Any 68 G-CAC would have to be a 69+
  • You won't be able to get a definitive answer from the CAC website pop reports. Something that shows a gold bean at the 67 grade could be a 67 or a 67+, since CAC ignores the "+".
  • edited January 2022
    ms71 said:

You won't be able to get a definitive answer from the CAC website pop reports. Something that shows a gold bean at the 67 grade could be a 67 or a 67+, since CAC ignores the "+".

Correct on both counts B)
    All NGC/PCGS "+" grades are irrelevant to CAC graders. On a 66 label, likewise a 66+, whatever the formula which defines a TPG consensus, only the integer matters As @MS71, who surely can recognize an over-graded coin if he doesn't own it might expand:

Using an MS66+ 1881-S Morgan as an example - suppose::
    It has a TPG internal grade of 66.7, 66.8 or 66.9 and accordingly qualifies to be considered a full MS66+.

No matter to CAC. It can be a low-end 67 and it doesn't go Gold. Note: JA often puts informative Post-Its on these holders.
    CAC has no published standard for a GCAC as a 67.3, 67.8, or 68.1
    While I've lazily referred to CAC has having a plus grade, that's my informal term.

A GCAC means "that's high-end for coins we see at the next grade up".

Hopefully that concretizes the fuzzy-math (sarcastic contradiction) that subordinates pinpoint technical merit to what CAC will eagerly pay up for at the "67" level. It's got to be significantly better than most CAC sees in that next grade.
    You can quantify your coin's virtue to your own heart's desire. CAC limits their hype to "damn nice at the next grade".

How many 81-S' have you seen that were 66 GCAC?. I'll bet you'll see a few 68's that don't make 67 before that :s
  • ms71 said:

You won't be able to get a definitive answer from the CAC website pop reports. Something that shows a gold bean at the 67 grade could be a 67 or a 67+, since CAC ignores the "+".

I respectfully disagree. A gold bean at the 67 or 67+ grade would be stating that CAC believes the coin would grade at 68.4 or above.
  • edited January 2022
    I do not recognize plus grades either since most of my graded coins were slabbed before plus grades existed.

I assert that many OGH PCGS slabs at the 67 grade is perceived as a 67+ by many collectors and dealers.

This is why I will not try to upgrade my OGH PCGS slabs to plus grades as someday the older and non plus graded coin will be more desired than the plus graded coin/slab.