Guess the ngc grade barber half — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Guess the ngc grade barber half

Ok so this coin was recently submitted. It did receive the green bean. But I think it deserved a gold. I want you to guess the ngc grade on this coin. 

Comments

• tejas1836 said:
    VF 20
    That's what I would have guessed as well. But ngc horribly under graded this. I really thought this would get a gold bean. But it only got a green bean... I do plan on cracking this one out and sending to pcgs. This is a strong vf. I feel like at vf20 this would green bean. 
  • Gold stickers must be very difficult to get. It does look better than F 12!
  • I see so many circ. barbers in NGC holders that appear to be under graded.... there's a lot of profit potential there. And yes that sure looks VF
  • I’d prefer a VF to have a stronger “Liberty “  
  • Good to know!
  • Pcgs , I believe, owns the rights to Photograde. Let’s see if they have pics of circ Barber Halves. 
  • JACAC said:

Pcgs , I believe, owns the rights to Photograde. Let’s see if they have pics of circ Barber Halves. 

They have a nice set of images and I based my guess on those images.

• I was at a tweener between 12 and 15. Probably would have erred on the side of caution and called it a 12. As JA said, I'd like a bit more LIBERTY to go higher.
  • NNC, NTC, PCI Gold, and Accugrade would call it XF45 but it would be one of the few coins in their slabs that was not heavily doctored. And Accugrade would give it their own MAC sticker (Alan Hager is behind both companies).

Remember MAC's ad: "MAC takes up where CAC leaves off".

LOL.
  • it’s a nice F12 imo.  I also need a stronger LIBERTY for VF.
  • Many of us place too much emphasis on LIBERTY. Too much eagle feathers for a mere 12. It is at least a 15 and I could see it in a 20.
  • edited April 2022
    As a long time collector of Barber halves in F12-15, I would buy this as a solid 15. It’s not a 20 though - would need to see more separation of the wing feathers. It’s definitely better than a 12 though - lot of good separation in the eagle tail feathers, good Liberty and eagle’s neck has some meat left.