Here are some great examples of how JA can help you sharpen your grading skills with his dots! ā€” Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Here are some great examples of how JA can help you sharpen your grading skills with his dots!

Here are some great examples of how JA can help you sharpen your grading skills with his red, green and yellow dots!

Ā«13

Comments

• What do the different color comment stickers represent? Does a green one indicate it would have stickered as a 40 in your pic above? Does a red sticker with comment indicate problem observations? And what would a yellow represent?
  • How often are coins given stickers like that? In my, albeit few, submissions I only got the bean or nothing. 
  • edited February 2022
    I'd guess those green "semi-dots" signify acceptability at the noted lower technical grade". :p
  • edited February 2022
    ptolemyII said:

I'd guess those green "semi-dots" signify acceptability at the noted lower technical grade". :p

Catbert said:

What do the different color comment stickers represent? Does a green one indicate it would have stickered as a 40 in your pic above? Does a red sticker with comment indicate problem observations? And what would a yellow represent?

Can we have a doggoned AGREE button already?

• edited February 2022
    red dot is a stop sign of a problem observation and yellow is a warning but correctible issue of some sort but I forgot the actual message.

A green dot can accompany a stickered coin example as follows:

MS-64 graded coin with new sticker. A green dot is a message stating MS-65 guality but wirh surface abrasion.

I thought the red and yellow dots were on-line photos I could post here but they were in my safe deposit box instead.
  • edited February 2022
    The first time I was fortunate to have received a coin back with a red dot, I learned a valuable lesson:

The most interesting learning experience about that coin was when @Seth_WitterCoin also looked at it in hand and provided the exact same comment to me before I mentioned anything about CAC and before I showed him the image of it with the red dot. That coin is very helpful for me to use it as a good way to teach others about the value of CAC including the nice details in the FAQ that I also believe helps us learn. And now we have this awesome Educational Forum to share with others too.

Until now, I did not know about the yellow dot or the green dot. I wonder if @JACAC would ever recommed to send a coin with a green dot that has the hand written message showing the correctly assigned grade back to PCGS or NGC for a new holder as appropiate.

Please note that I do not have any silver coins with a red dot, so I am sorry to have posted an example of a gold coin here.
  • Indeed, I have a green stickered somewhat older 1855-S NGC XF-45 $20 Liberty that I tried to cross to PCGS subject to keeping the same grade. If did not cross. I kept the coin as I liked it very much. I forgot about it and now am thinking about asking JA if PCGS would cross it at XF-40 would he gold sticker it?
  • I admit I learned as much from the green and red dots as the green sticker itself.
  • This discussion has reminded me of when a numismatist told me that he has often sent coins that he purchased and were previously beaned back to @JACAC with a request for the bean to be officially removed. The reasoning was because the coin really did not meet the strictest CAC criteria. I am unsure of the details, but my understanding is that the official bean removal has frequently been done to perhaps QA the final JA check.
  • oreville said:

Indeed, I have a green stickered somewhat older 1855-S NGC XF-45 $20 Liberty that I tried to cross to PCGS subject to keeping the same grade. If did not cross. I kept the coin as I liked it very much. I forgot about it and now am thinking about asking JA if PCGS would cross it at XF-40 would he gold sticker it?

I also believe that we will all learn something from your requesting @JACAC if the coin you send back to PCGS for crossover is graded by them as XF-40 will then be eligible for a gold sticker. This is very interesting to me. I personally would simply send the coin for crossover again to accept XF-40 if that becomes the newly assigned grade before sending it back to CAC and discover what sticker it ends up with.

I would not ordinarly recommend another way to explore this differently, but in this case there is another option that you may want to consider. You may experiment with this coin by cracking it out of rhe NGC slab and then sending it in to PCGS for grading as a raw coin. It would then be a good learning experience to finally discover what CAC sticker (if any) it ends up with.
  • edited February 2022
    I did have an early holdered ANACS graded MS-60 BN 1955 DDO cents in nwhich JA insisted should cross to PCGS at the same grade. PCGS crossed it at AU-58 and CAC gold stickered it. Should be the same scenario. with the gold 1855-S $20 coin in which JA is much more of an expert.
  • I received my first yellow dot today. 
       The coin almost looks like an AU 58, but CAC is correct with the yellow dot.
  • So does the Yellow dot mean JA agrees it is a M/A AU 55, even if close to a technical 58? From the photo, it looks ok, but guess under lights and a loupe there must be some telltale sign of cleaning.
  • Yellow dots are much more scarce as I wonder if JA has enough of them in stock? šŸ‘€
  • It does look slightly cleaned when looking at it closely with a loupe. 
  • oreville said:
    Yellow dots are much more scarce as I wonder if JA has enough of them in stock? šŸ‘€
    Maybe we should take a collection from everyone and buy JA some more Yellow dots to restock his inventory?
  • WilliamJ said:

oreville said:

Yellow dots are much more scarce as I wonder if JA has enough of them in stock? šŸ‘€

Maybe we should take a collection from everyone and buy JA some more Yellow dots to restock his inventory?

I'm down! lol
  • Ok so having gotten some dots back on my coins, Iā€™m thinking, maybe I should submit back to PCGS to get their reactions/ trigger a guarantee payment for : obv & rev PVC

And the suspicious color on the reverse of this $5 Indian half eagle . It has quite an ugly grey -greenish tint to it,