Are printed auction catalogues doomed ? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Are printed auction catalogues doomed ?

Now that it would seem auctions are gonna no longer be held w physical shows ( due to covid but I doubt the trend will reverse ), is it probable physical in- mail auction catalogues will become a thing of the past w only online
auction offerings? I distinctly recall asking StacksBowers in person what it cost them for the typical auction catalogue- $35 including mailing & that was a decade ago - likely $40+ now. No wonder the auction houses only mail catalogues to active clients. And then there
is the pressure of getting the printed catalogues out in time, given the increasingly radically changing weather, huge flight cancellations & the increasingly undependable post office. The future impact of no physical auction catalogues ( or, at least, a change to actual “ request only “ for catalogues rather than mass mailings) will, in my opinion, have a negative impact on the hobby in terms of new collectors entering the hobby, retaining old collectors & even auction prices.

Comments

• Yes, printed catalogs are doomed. 
  • I can tell you that the splendid & educational catalogues issued by the various Bowers firms,Stacks in all its forms, the Goldbergs in all its forms , and Heritage have been significantly responsible for the hobby’s growth
    1960- 2015+. If that disappears and is relegated to online only, well I’m glad I was around to experience the good old days.
  • Auction catalogs aren’t getting new collectors into the hobby.
  • All I know is if I ran an auction house I would do both forms, online catalogs as well as print, since I want to cover all buyers, new and old and not risk loosing any of them. So I think they are still here to stay albeit only the big auction houses.
  • The market has changed to online. BUT while the auction houses want to end catalogs (which are very expensive to produce), I know collectors love them. For that reason, I have elected to keep our hard bound catalogs for now.

I know I need catalogs to help me figure what I want to buy.
  • I think that enough collectors and dealers like them, such that they’re not doomed.
  • mellado said:
    I can tell you that the splendid & educational catalogues issued by the various Bowers firms,Stacks in all its forms, the Goldbergs in all its forms , and Heritage have been significantly responsible for the hobby’s growth 1960- 2015+.
    No doubt the auction catalogs I got in the mail in the 70’s had a huge impact on my own growth as a collector. The catalogs broadened my horizons, taught me about the coins, and to a large extent taught me how to think about coins. 
  • As for catalogs being doomed, no, they’re not. But they will be issued and distributed more and more selectively. As is already happening.
  • I hope Legend keeps printing the hardbound catalogs. I would be willing to pay for my copy ($40?) but I know that wouldn't be attractive to many.
  • All good points. While auction catalogs are nice and really showcase coins, they can be bulky and add up causing clutter on my bookshelves. I don’t really go back and look at them over and over. They get dusty. I’m try to minimize stuff not keep adding. If you also collect other stuff, like fine minerals for example, they have tons of catalogs with great pictures but again bulky. I’m ok with on line catalogs except in rare circumstances. I still have my Eliasberg catalogs. Just my opinion. 
  • I use both online and printed catalogue. I find it easier to lazily flip thorough the catalogue when I want to get a good feel for what’s in the auction.  Then I jump on the online version when things start getting serious.  
  • I know when the catalogs are coming from Heritage. Fedex delivers them and they weigh more than the coin deliveries. I love the catalogs. I think they're a way show off your interest in coins rather than show off your coins. The 2021 year in review book is simply spectacular.