Wexler is an Unsung Legend to Variety Collectors — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Wexler is an Unsung Legend to Variety Collectors

His free variety website, doubleddie.com, is amazingly extensive and replete with photomicrographs, yet is virtually unknown except to hardcore weenies. Not even one of my big shot dealer friends had even heard of it.

For an $18 fee, PCGS will note any of these varieties on their holder inserts although most will be called "minor" unless also listed in The Cherrypickers' Guide.

I had been unaware that there are hundreds of different Mercury dime doubled dies or that there are ANY Standing Liberty quarter doubled dies much less the 10 listed!

Comments

• It is an outstanding site, and I use it continuously. I never use the PCGS service, because...well....I am stingy. However, if they paid me $18.00 per coin for letting them know I have one of the listed pieces, I will take it.
  • john said:

It is an outstanding site, and I use it continuously. I never use the PCGS service, because...well....I am stingy. However, if they paid me $18.00 per coin for letting them know I have one of the listed pieces, I will take it.

On occasion, PCGS offers a discount on the variety attribution fee. But for $500-plus coins, the full $18 rack rate will not break the bank and will pay for itself many times over.
  • edited February 2022
    I don't know what "Wexler" is. Change the thread title to include Free Variety Research Database or somesuch, It's surely a valuable tool.
    LOL, I thought it was about Bill Wetzler, a CAC grader, :o
  • I agree with ptolemyll. Please provide some more background information.
  • Since our host has asked, and the OP has not had the time to respond yet (maybe off line/busy), I will try to help:

doubleddie.com
    John A. Wexler.

An author (extensive), coauthor with Kevin Flynn, inducted into the CONECA Hall Of Fame, monthly column in Coin World, lives in Quakertown PA. I trust this is enough background.

The Heading (Title?) of the Welcome page is: Wexler's Die Varieties.

CACfan did state the website the website address in his/her opening sentence of the Post.

ptolemyll could have possibly satisfied any curiosity by navigating to the listed website. I expect our Host was already aware (I hope so....).

• I wasn't asking for myself personally, but I'd prefer the topic be more fleshed out.
  • edited February 2022
    Not for myself either ;) I'm a grading geek, not at all a variety enthusiast. Likely a bit too technical for many CAC collectors, especially as so many aren't in the Redbook or included in the CAC Census.

I am, however, an enthusiasm enthusiast :#
  • edited February 2022
    A couple other useful variety sites are:

variety vista.com

richardsrooseveltreview.net

John Wexler and his site are a huge asset to variety collectors. Wish he could find time to update the site.

Here is a newly discovered Franklin RPM that published Nov. 2020 but has yet to be listed...

• But the largest list of varieties is the online ANACS Population Report. Nearly every known variety of every U.S. coin ever minted is listed. No photos are posted but at least you have a starting point, from which you can proceed to major auction archives, pcgscoinfacts.com, or just plain googling!