A 1795 Bust Off-Center, Bust Dollar — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

A 1795 Bust Off-Center, Bust Dollar

edited February 2022 in Silver Coins
This is the first major U.S. coin purchase I have made in about 5 years. The reason that I bought it is because I've been looking for a reasonably priced, nice example of this coin for over a decade. It's not rare, and it's rated an R-2, but it's also quite popular. Many of the pieces that I have seen at the shows were high priced or had problems that caused me to reject them. Here is my photo of the piece.

And here is the PCGS True View photo.

My interest is this variety rests in the fact that it is believed to have been the first Draped Bust design coin. The Draped Bust design has attracted me since I was kid collector in high school. I have always thought that it was very attractive, and wanted to form a type collection of these pieces. I went even further and formed a "Red Book" collection of the early half dimes, minus the 1802 which out of my financial reach.

When the die sinker (Robert Scot himself?) was preparing this die, he punched the bust design in too far to the left. Since dies were expensive, he proceeded and finished the die. This probably explains the center dot was placed on the die for many future die sinkings. The goal was to get the design placed properly on the coin.

This piece is a PCGS graded VF-35, gold shield. It does not have a CAC sticker, and I imagine that it failed to get one. The dealer from whom I bought this piece usually sends his coins to CAC for an approval, and he made it a point to say that it was not a non-CAC example. I don't know why it failed, but it may have saved me a few dollars. It really doesn't matter to me because, given the price paid, the coin pleases me. And no it was not "bargain priced."

And to complete the circle, here is my example of the 1795 Bust Dollar with the bust properly centered. This one is an NGC AU-53. It does not have a CAC sticker and probably will never rate one because it's not original. But I find it attractive.

Comments

• That is a very dramatic and pleasing comparison.
  • edited February 2022
    Sold in 2019 IIRC. PCGS AU-55 no-bean. Great detail and semi-PL, but also microscopically wiped. That shade of blue on the reverse is a strong tell.

• To Ptolemyll,
    why is the blue on the reverse evidence of a wipe? I thought when a doctor or whomever wipes the devices he/she typically hits mainly the high points, in this case the letters and not in between the devices. Silver often turns blue due to sulfur encased in paper which can turn old silver a blue coloring. Am I wrong ?
    Thanks
  • edited February 2022
    There are several misconceptions in your question I'd need to address before I can give an answer of broader use.
    1) Coin doctors do not wipe coins. They know better.
    2) Typically hits the high points? That's sloppy handling or perhaps from an album or whatever.
    3) You see wiping lines on the lettering and high points? I don't see any lines anywhere. I see zones of "off" color. This wiping was a very skillful job done long ago.
    4) Silver often does turn blue from sulfur (in some forms).
    5) Unwiped/unpolished silver, "new" or "old" (whatever that means) will turn, among other colors, various shades of blue.
    6) Wiped/polished will also turn various shades of blue. Depending upon the degree of wiping, the tones are often off-shade and/or more vibrant than would appear on unabused surfaces.

In this specific instance, and with many wiped coins, especially earlier silver of poorer manufacturing quality, the robin's egg/teal shading does not form on naturally produced surfaces. It is a tell. Not proof. However, go to the CU Forum and look at @TDN's thread on "Three Amazing Trade Dollars". Likely from the John Story Jenks group Eric Streiner bought in the 80's. Distorted by unTrueView lighting, the colors might suggest some similarity, but the patterns are as expected on wholesome proofs. And then we have the cleaned Gobrecht below :s

FWIW, I could have treated this coin with sulfur to intensify the colors, but they would have turned even more "wrong". Where's @SeatedNut when a "market-acceptable" coin rears it's not entirely unworthy head?

One of the biggest problems today's collector will have is the lack of opportunity to inspect coins in-hand. I hate to be flippant but, to a very great degree, you're screwed. You can learn more about any series in a concentrated hour of auction lot viewing than you can with pictures.

Hopefully these images help demonstrate the tint I'm trying to illustrate. Healthy silver does not take on these tints of blue. The light hitting the fields is distorted, refracted in such a way that different zones of the ROYGBIV spectrum are accentuated.

• edited February 2022
    Have you seen this coin in-hand? What's your point? Is it a statement? A question?
  • I have seen it in hand.
    It relates to the thread.
    And it is also another toned piece that has blue in it.
    That is all.
  • How passive-aggressively bizarre :*
  • Passive- Aggressive.
    I saw members showing photos of 1795 center and uncentered, in fact didn't you. What is the issue now?
  • edited February 2022
    Realone said:

Passive- Aggressive.
    I saw members showing photos of 1795 center and uncentered, in fact didn't you. What is the issue now?

Yours is the only image that was not commented upon by its poster. As the only person who has seen it in-hand, I'd assign you the moral responsibility to describe, either in your own words or by quoting another's, what you think you're showing us.

Right now I'm thinking it's an enigmatically-toned XF45 of which I'd essay a valuation of $7500. In-hand, likely more ;) . I'd likely dip it, but only after more examination; It might be cleaned. It's ungraded, so it must not be gradeable, right? If you know better, fill us in. I can't grade from pictures ;) It could walk, talk and be worth $40K. I'm taking the low road because it's in that ratty Capital Plastic 2x2.

• I thought it appears to be in an older white ANACS holder?
  • If we are talking about the coin posted by @Realone, my sharpness grade for that piece would be AU-58. From that perspective, it is a great coin.

I am not comfortable with the color. That would be my reservation, but since I have only one set of photos, I'm not going to condemn it.
  • edited February 2022
    BillJones said:

If we are talking about the coin posted by @Realone, my sharpness grade for that piece would be AU-58. From that perspective, it is a great coin.

I am not comfortable with the color. That would be my reservation, but since I have only one set of photos, I'm not going to condemn it.

Perhaps @Realone is simply alerting us to another "tint variation". :#
    40+ years ago, a NE dealer named Jim Scalbi toned colonials and other early material. We called his color palette "Too Blue".

"Enigmatic" is a euphemism. >:) EF45 is an attempted satirical absurdity. :p

If Al is the owner, he's gotten his free appraisal. My apologies to you all if I appear to have enabled a troll. I'm sentimental :o

The very first question anyone with an ounce of sense asks when they see a coin of that sort, even at XF (or below), is "Why isn't this coin already in a holder?". Thus my assumptions. Always assume the possibility of a "trap" when presented with a raw coin. After a TPG protects you from some traps, CAC protects you from that problem with an even higher rate of success than either TPG by itself.
  • 40+ years ago, a NE dealer named Jim Scalbi toned colonials and other early material. We called his color palette "Too Blue".

The late Jim Scalbi was a coin doctor. No one would ever deny that. Sometimes he succeeded and sometimes he failed. The worst failure occurred when he was heating an early gold coin and got called away to answer the phone. When he came back, the coin had melted. He told that story to me so I guess it's true.

Here's a Harvey Lewis sutler token I bought from him years ago. When he showed it to me, I told him I didn't like it. The next day he came back with it, and I bought it because it looked much better. It has not changed over the last 25 years so I guess some coin "restoration" (doctoring) works.

• I am done with Rick. He is just so over the top ugly that I am not going to respond. I was never looking for an appraisal of any sort. Just posting a toned example.
    Thank you.
    Good bye
  • BillJones i love the 1795 bust you have i collect bust dollars and found a lot of haters out there, say some thing good about a coin that's over 200 years old still intact full date great bust and with a great small eagle. Yea it's luster is about all gone and it's not PL or DMPL it's a rare part of US History and i see alot of story's in that coin. I love it...here is a picture one of my Draped Bust Dollars for you guy's to rip apart...LOL living the dream!

• ptolemyII said:

Realone said:

Passive- Aggressive.

Yours is the only image that was not commented upon by its poster. As the only person who has seen it in-hand, I'd assign you the moral responsibility to describe, either in your own words or by quoting another's, what you think you're showing us.

Right now I'm thinking it's an enigmatically-toned XF45 of which I'd essay a valuation of $7500. In-hand, likely more ;) . I'd likely dip it, but only after more examination; It might be cleaned. It's ungraded, so it must not be gradeable, right? If you know better, fill us in. I can't grade from pictures ;) It could walk, talk and be worth $40K. I'm taking the low road because it's in that ratty Capital Plastic 2x2.

Dear Rick Sear,
    what is the point of you always being incredibly obnoxious and demeaning? You singlehandedly screwed up the U.S. Coin Forum and now you landed here doing the same thing. I respect your knowledge and believe that is the only good thing about you and your continued presence. Don't you think its time to finally change your ways or come back as a kinder gentler soul in your next reincarnation.
  • BillJones i love the 1795 bust you have i collect bust dollars and found a lot of haters out there, say some thing good about a coin that's over 200 years old still intact full date great bust and with a great small eagle. Yea it's luster is about all gone and it's not PL or DMPL it's a rare part of US History and i see alot of story's in that coin. I love it...here is a picture one of my Draped Bust Dollars for you guy's to rip apart...LOL living the dream!

• Its awesome with good hands of challenge coin maker.
    can be use in Medal as its is?
  • Why are the 15 stars on these coins ?   What was added to the original 13 colonies ?