Long Beach, West Coast premier coin & collectibles show fast approaching but... — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Long Beach, West Coast premier coin & collectibles show fast approaching but...

After 1 3/4 years of no Long Beach show, the previous LB in Oct 2021 had been moved to a more isolated , narrower hall. I’d guess 30% of regular bourse dealers didn’t reappear
&, despite rigorous covid enforcement, there was considerable public attendance. Now next week’s show will be interesting to see if this show returns to its previous prominence.
There is a connected Heritage auction ( lot viewing on site) but a week later in Dallas which, I have to believe, is related to a show’s attendance & perceived prominence.

Comments

• I noticed the show has 25% less dealers then pre pandemic. I think it will eventually morph into a pure collectables show vs the coin show it started out as. For sure PCGS is trying to keep the show relevant and grow it.

GH from my company will be there along w/Greg from auctions. I can't make the trip right now.

My guess on attendance-good.
  • I'm flying in from the Bay Area and plan to attend the show at least on Thursday and Friday. Hope to see some of you there.

Tim
  • I’m going hottdigitty !
  • It does not look like pcgs is grading on site at this show either. Seems to me like they should, disappointing....
  • Did something change recently with regard to PCGS grading?
    Lance.

• Sadly, my staff is telling me the show is a yawner for our types of coins. A lot of dealers have left and aren't coming back.

PCGS is trying hard to promote the show. I hope it does not become a baseball card show.
  • Maybe pcgs is grading on site. I must have heard wrong?
  • The show was a dud. Was in and out in less then 2 hours. At least 25% maybe 33% of the tables were empty. Lots of cards and other collectibles. LSCC didn’t even have a booth. Damn shame! Tyrant had an awesome display though.
  • At least gun shows have beef jerky.
    ;)
  • Yes, the show is poor for higher value coins. PCGS does try to promote it tho. I am told mostly baseball card folks there.
  • No surprise at all. I normally drive down from Sactown but decided against it after reading about the vaccine/mask requirements (or test within 24/48 hrs for each visit, depending on the type of test) being quite stiff, almost France like. Guessing FUN will be the new premier venue. For those unfamiliar, last year U-Haul literally ran out of one-way trucks for those leaving CA.
  • This show used to be a "must attend". Can't figure out why it's gone to downhill. PCGS is trying. I can name 3 major dealers who live in the area who quit taking tables. I know of a few other majors who quit going as well.

In the glory days you'd have so many collectors attend buying and selling you worked hard all day each day but left satisfied for a month. The current show is more like a why bother?

I still say this show and Baltimore need to go down to 2 shows a year. I said that BEFORE covid changed the game. Now, auctions aren't even held at shows.
  • Interesting to read the comments here and those on the PCGS forum, very different reactions and comments. Perhaps not unexpected given the dynamics of the two sources, but still very interesting. From several of the photos posted there it seemed to be well attended, at least at certain times.

I myself have not been to a Long Beach show in over 5 years, partly because I was taking a short break from coins and now because of the restrictions. I would have very much liked to go to this or the previous show mostly to drop off coins to GC and to chat with a couple of the dealers that I have and am working with on my want lists. But none of that is important enough to me to put up with the restrictions, maybe now that CA is moving away from pandemic protocols I may try for the next show.

I would bet that no auction and all the restrictions are hurting this show.