When you’re targeted, not much you can do — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

When you’re targeted, not much you can do

At the recent Buena Park CA local show, a collector/ vest pocketer left w his one briefcase containing six figures in rare coins.
He stopped at a restaurant, parked outside & took his case w him, placing it under the table by his feet. After > an hour, a fight developed among several men at the checkout register
& he rose to watch the fight. Another grabbed the briefcase from under the table & ran out the door as did the fighting group. They all jumped into a waiting car
taking off as the dealer rushed out, catching a few numbers on the plate. Rushing to his car he found his tires slashed. The register “ fight” was obviously staged as a diversion after the
thieves became discouraged by his hour long leisurely meal, hoping initially to rob him after he drove off after eating, catching him w flat tires on a dark stretch of road, where he might well have been assaulted.

There’s apparently nothing you can do if you are targeted. The news media mention that both Colombian & Chilean gangs are committing these crimes, traveling back & forth between their countries & the US.

Comments

• So they fly in the gang from Columbia, find a local coin show, follow some dude around until he stops at a restaurant, then start the show? What if he does not stand up to watch the fight?

But if all goes according to plan, the gang hightails it back to Columbia with some random coins?

I have heard similar fishing stories.
  • Regardless of whether this was true then there are things you can do:

1. Don’t stop at restaurants or diners or similar along the way
    2. Use good security measures including awareness of people, cars and things around the environment
    3. Have proper documentation and insurance up to date
    4. Make friends and travel with another dealer in a convoy and look out for each other
    5. If you must stop somewhere evaluate the security first
  • I find it difficult to believe that
    they “ hightail” it back to their country OR that they take the coins w them outside the US. Media & FBI have said in print these gangs travel from city to city & commit their crimes, If arrested they use false names, get bailed out ( what cities still impose bail for property crimes! ) & disappear. FBI has matched arrestees’ aliases to same suspect, diff states’ arrests. Moreover, it is obvious they dispose of their criminal proceeds
    over here in the US before returning, however briefly, to their own countries.
  • There are many precautions that I take to prevent such robberies. Wouldn't you thieves like to know what they are.

Let's not forget the possibility that other coin dealers may be involved. Heck, the serial killer of 10 coin dealers, Charles Sinclair, was HIMSELF a coin dealer!

And not all security guards are true security guards.

In other words, trust nobody except yourself. Use your common sense.
  • edited February 2022
    Deleted comments not important to CAC 
  • In most if not all states, using deadly force like a gun to shoot a grand theft suspect ( which is what was involved in the restaurant ) is a crime -a felony. Those are the new “woke” laws. The exception is only if the crime is in your residence. You can only use a gun & deadly force if the suspect uses a dangerous weapon or bodily force to further the theft - which then constitutes a robbery , not a grand theft. Believe me, I know! Foreign countries the laws may be different.
  • edited February 2022
    Deleted comment not important to CAC discussion 
  • edited February 2022
    Deleted comment of no importance 
  • Each state has its own laws but in every state you can use deadly force if threatened with a weapon, which in FL can include mere fists as proven by racist coward George Zimmerman's murder of Trayvon Martin after provoking the unarmed minor into a confrontation. Naturally, the all-white jury acquitted Zimmerman but let him try that in my black-controlled city.

I have zapped criminals directly in the eyes with tear gas. Works like a charm every time and there's no mess.
  • edited February 2022
    CACfan said:
    Each state has its own laws but in every state you can use deadly force if threatened with a weapon, which in FL can include mere fists as proven by racist coward George Zimmerman's murder of Trayvon Martin after provoking the unarmed minor into a confrontation. Naturally, the all-white jury acquitted Zimmerman but let him try that in my black-controlled city. I have zapped criminals directly in the eyes with tear gas. Works like a charm every time and there's no mess.
      George was acquitted in a court of law even though the whole country including the President and the attorney general went after him.  The whole thing was politically driven.  I know I won’t change your mind but I will say that I know George personally and his family since before George was born . They are really good people.   I know him so well that I’ll be his best man in his wedding.  Now back to CAC talk ….     
  • I voted for Trump and am conservative on every issue. But I despise all criminals, whether or not they have friends who post on this forum.

Zimmerman was not convicted because the prosecution was deliberately weak and just for show. First, his father was a politically connected judge who used his influence. Second, the original white investigator initially professed that Zimmerman was guilty of murder but at trial inappropriately stated the opposite because he was coerced into doing so by his superiors. Third, prosecutors maliciously allowed an all-white jury to hear the case. Fourth, prosecutors deliberately failed to properly prepare their witnesses.

Being acquitted does not make someone innocent (especially under these circumstances) any more than being convicted makes them guilty. It just means that the legal games were won by one side or the other.

Zimmerman is a ruthless, racist, sociopathic murderer. He deliberately engaged an unarmed, slighter black minor so that he would have an excuse to execute him in cold blood. He is the embodiment of cowardice.
  • Let's not forget about the subtle slight-of-hand thefts, the kind that Brett Bogus was convicted of committing. He is currently serving 20 years in a Texas pen.

It seems that $20 Libs and Saints are a popular target. If I were still setting up at shows, I would have multiple visible and hidden cameras rolling at all times. Especially in this smash-and-grab atmosphere enabled by the left.
  • Other coin dealers can themselves be robbers and even murderers, like Charles Sinclair, the famous serial killer who allegedly had at least 12 coin dealer victims although the FBI at one point said possibly 20 to 25.

• CACfan said:

Other coin dealers can themselves be robbers and even murderers, like Charles Sinclair, the famous serial killer who allegedly had at least 12 coin dealer victims although the FBI at one point said possibly 20 to 25.

CACfan said:

There are many precautions that I take to prevent such robberies. Wouldn't you thieves like to know what they are.

Let's not forget the possibility that other coin dealers may be involved. Heck, the serial killer of 10 coin dealers, Charles Sinclair, was HIMSELF a coin dealer!

And not all security guards are true security guards.

In other words, trust nobody except yourself. Use your common sense.

You are repeating yourself. We get it.

An example of annoying enthusiasm, BTW (and an aging memory).

Don't hit me, I am old. I am tired now, and I can't find my Snoopy House Sweater.
  • Was it 10 or 12? Or here say?
    I will stop now. Hopefully, my point is made.
  • john said:
    Other coin dealers can themselves be robbers and even murderers, like Charles Sinclair, the famous serial killer who allegedly had at least 12 coin dealer victims although the FBI at one point said possibly 20 to 25.
    There are many precautions that I take to prevent such robberies. Wouldn't you thieves like to know what they are. Let's not forget the possibility that other coin dealers may be involved. Heck, the serial killer of 10 coin dealers, Charles Sinclair, was HIMSELF a coin dealer! And not all security guards are true security guards. In other words, trust nobody except yourself. Use your common sense.
    You are repeating yourself. We get it. An example of annoying enthusiasm, BTW (and an aging memory). Don't hit me, I am old. I am tired now, and I can't find my Snoopy House Sweater.
    It’d be easier to hear over and over if he actually got some facts right .  Lol

Im old and tired too … 
This discussion has been closed.