Why are there so few gold bean Lincoln’s — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Why are there so few gold bean Lincoln’s

edited February 2022 in General
I was very surprised to learn if I am correct that there are only 43 Lincoln’s with a gold sticker out of approximately 20,000 Lincoln cents graded by CAC. That is an incredible 1/4 of 1%.! I own the only 1935 gold which happens to be a MS 65 Red. Any thoughts on this phenomenon.

Comments

• Is this compared to a series with lots of gold beans? Is there such a series?

I'd think most gold beans are on coins where the price of the next grade up is not a super big increase. If it were a super big increase the owner might just go for the resubmission to the TPG. Late date Lincolns when compared to other series probably suffer from an all or nothing phenomenon where either it grades top grade and is worth a ton, or grades lower and is not worth much (relatively speaking). (plus grades have muddied this up some). The early Lincolns also kind of suffer from hit or miss phenomena where truly nice spot free full red coins are super rare and then there's everything else.

• I think I have a couple gold bean candidates (maybe even 3 or 4) but aren't going to spend the money to see. Especially if you guys talk them into increasing the CAC submission price!

65rd pcgs Gen 2.2 holder

• I think I have a couple gold bean candidates (maybe even 3 or 4) but aren't going to spend the money to see. Especially if you guys talk them into increasing the CAC submission price! 65rd pcgs Gen 2.2 holder
    I have a feeling Gold Lincoln’s will do well at auction considering their rarity especially in MS Red only 13 stickered, 8 of which are 65 and 4 lower. 
  • Is this compared to a series with lots of gold beans? Is there such a series?

Anecdotally, it sure seems like Buffalo nickels and Mercs get more than their fair share of gold stickers.
  • edited October 2022

• edited October 2022
    Perhaps cents not submitted in same quantities? Copper spotting issues?
  • edited October 2022
    Catbert said:
    Perhaps cents not submitted in same quantities? Copper spotting issues?
    Thanks for sharing the chart comparisons Catbert. Upon further research it seems almost 22,000 Lincoln’s have been submitted to CAC that have earned a green or gold sticker. That would make it less than 1/4 of 1% gold stickers for all MS grades and 1/10 of a percent for MS Red Gold coins!! Correct me if I am incorrect in my analysis.

• Does does anybody have any idea what this gold sticker 1935 Lincoln is worth, as I am considering listing it either on EBay or selling at GC or DLRC. There are no guidelines to go by so I would not know how to price it.
  • edited October 2022
    I’d price it at 66+ or 67 because that is what the gold level represents in my opinion. I’d also list it at GC.
  • I think the later date Buffs and Mercs were worth enough in various grades ms65, ms66, ms67 etc to be widely submitted over the years, yet the value differences are not great enough for the coins to all be regraded as standards loosen over time. On the other hand Lincolns were generally only submitted if they were ms66 or ms67 with historically ms67 being the "money grade" (now it's 67+). There are lesser lower grade options for gold cac stickers and the higher grade options all get upgraded due to the value difference. Walkers and most coins from before 1934 generally all have high value differences and also all get upgraded. Washington quarters seem in the middle with a medium amount of gold cac's out there.
  • edited October 2022
    I think the later date Buffs and Mercs were worth enough in various grades ms65, ms66, ms67 etc to be widely submitted over the years, yet the value differences are not great enough for the coins to all be regraded as standards loosen over time. On the other hand Lincolns were generally only submitted if they were ms66 or ms67 with historically ms67 being the "money grade" (now it's 67+). There are lesser lower grade options for gold cac stickers and the higher grade options all get upgraded due to the value difference. Walkers and most coins from before 1934 generally all have high value differences and also all get upgraded. Washington quarters seem in the middle with a medium amount of gold cac's out there.
    There is logic in your analysis, but how do you explain 11,300 coins in MS 65 red graded with green stickers yet only 13 gold?
  • Probably most are pre 1934 where there are larger value differences going to ms66rd. There are not a lot of collectors (or submitters) for 1934-on in "only" ms65rd.
  • I just saw a pcgs ms67rd Lincoln that was previously a green cac pcgs ms65rd. I guess that illustrates just how difficult gold stickers are (and the divergence in standards).
  • ANACS Cache is ridiculously tough on high grade Lincolns. I suspect that CAC would gold bean many of their coins if they accepted them for evaluation.
  • CACfan said:
    ANACS Cache is ridiculously tough on high grade Lincolns. I suspect that CAC would gold bean many of their coins if they accepted them for evaluation.
    Can you crack some out and submit to PCGS, and than  try CAC?
  • Stevie said:

CACfan said:

ANACS Cache is ridiculously tough on high grade Lincolns. I suspect that CAC would gold bean many of their coins if they accepted them for evaluation.

Can you crack some out and submit to PCGS, and than  try CAC?

Yes, but PCGS would grade the under-graded coins their correct grades and CAC would just green bean them at best. But a grading expert could make a good living just upgrading ANACS Cache MS65RD Lincolns to PCGS and NGC slabs. I did not bother do say MS65 and up because ANACS Cache certified so few above MS65. There are other coins that ANACS Cache under-graded such as errors. I have had ANACS Cache MS60 errors that crossed over, still in their MS60 ANACS slabs, to PCGS MS63 slabs. I have zero ability to grade errors so I never crack errors out.