Please help me understand AU58 with a CAC Gold sticker? 1909-O Barber Quarter — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Please help me understand AU58 with a CAC Gold sticker? 1909-O Barber Quarter

edited February 2022 in Grading
Does this mean CAC opinion is that the coin is AU 59?

Does this mean CAC opinion is that the coin is mint state?

Does this mean CAC opinion is that the coin is AU58 but has a market value significantly exceeding the numerical grade?

The coin I am thinking of is a 1909-O quarter that at one time was floating around in a PCGS AU58 CAC Gold slab. It had very attractive iridescent toning. I originally purchased that coin in a small white ANACS slab graded AU50. I am not seeing the PCGS graded coin in the CAC pop report so I guess it has upgraded?

Comments

• The ones I have seen or owned looked UNC to me. I personally know of a few that were sent in for crossover, and they went MS-62 or higher.

• I believe it indicates, in their opinion, that it was incorrectly graded as circulated and should be considered uncirculated.
  • Many here would opine that it is guaranteed to be only one grade higher but I believe it is guaranteed to be 2 grades higher or more ie a no brainer MS.
  • As per JA's interviews, a gold CAC coin grades at least one grade higher than the slab grade and would receive at least a green sticker if graded only one grade finer. Thus, your gold CAC AU58 actually grades green CAC MS60 at the very minimum.

But, as recent insanely high APR's prove, some buyers are going CAC Crazy and thus buying the stickers and not the coins. After all, CAC stickers are themselves collectibles and gold CAC's are by far the rarest as per the CAC Pop Report.
  • CACfan said:

As per JA's interviews, a gold CAC coin grades at least one grade higher than the slab grade and would receive at least a green sticker if graded only one grade finer. Thus, your gold CAC AU58 actually grades green CAC MS60 at the very minimum.

But, as recent insanely high APR's prove, some buyers are going CAC Crazy and thus buying the stickers and not the coins. After all, CAC stickers are themselves collectibles and gold CAC's are by far the rarest as per the CAC Pop Report.

Now I am confused, 58 to 60 is 2 grades higher.
  • Two grades, not two numbers. There is no AU59.
  • Realone said:

CACfan said:

As per JA's interviews, a gold CAC coin grades at least one grade higher than the slab grade and would receive at least a green sticker if graded only one grade finer. Thus, your gold CAC AU58 actually grades green CAC MS60 at the very minimum.

Now I am confused, 58 to 60 is 2 grades higher.
    A gold sticker indicates that in the opinion of CAC, the coin is at least one grade higher. In this case, that would mean 60 or higher. The two point difference from 58 to (at least) 60 would be just one grade. Likewise if a coin is graded XF45 and receives a gold sticker, one grade higher - AU50 - would equate to five points higher.
  • I remember that coin, remember it in the ANACS holder and I believe I remember when you owned it. I'd guess if it is missing from the PCGS and CAC databases that it was sent in for regrade and received an MS grade.
  • These are the type of coins I genuinely wish were accompanied by photos. Sounds absolutely lovely.
  • I've been trying to find pics but no luck so far.

Some backstory: The coin was listed on ebay in the ANACS 50 slab in auction format (this was probably late 1980's) and failed to meet reserve. Next day I get a message from seller saying I can have it at my bid of less than $300. Amazing,huh?
  • I believe I found an old thread you started about the coin on the PCGS boards, but the PhotoBucket images are gone.
  • What’s up with Gold Beans and 1909 25c pieces….? I have a 1909 pcgs ms62 and 1909s pcgs ms63, both with Gold beans (obverses attached). Beautiful coins. I wish I could find a similar NO specimen for the trifecta…😅

• edited March 2022
    I believe CAC would be telling me it good idea send in to TPG for upgrade. Consequently would do so.

• Phil619 said:

I believe CAC would be telling me it good idea send in to TPG for upgrade. Consequently would do so.

I don’t think that’s what they’re telling you. Because far more often than not, the price that a seller can get for a gold stickered coin is higher than what the coin would bring if it were to upgrade 1 or more points.