CAC Saint Gauden Date set — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC Saint Gauden Date set

I am thinking of putting together an all CAC Saint Gauden $20 date set.    Has anyone here done one either with saints or any other type coin?

I put together a regular date set , which is currently # 8 on PCGS registry .   ( if I win that ‘32 at Great Collections it’ll put me at #7 )

My question is do you get certain high end CAC coins for key dates and then maybe go middle road on the common stuff , ie :  an ms 63 CAC for a 1924 ???    What do you think is the best way to accomplish this set ? 

Thank you in advance 

vincent 

Perhsps discuss CAC sets of all types and post pictures ?   I’d love to see them 

Comments

• I know something about Saints sets. I built the #1+ 2 sets on the registry.

It all depends on your budget.

You never want to pass up a key date. I'd but the commoner coins last. You also want to try and keep it sort of matched. Like 63/64 or 64/65. It still okay to have a 66 commoner date.

No matter what each coin should be as high end as possible. It does matter.
  • Legend said:
    I know something about Saints sets. I built the #1+ 2 sets on the registry. It all depends on your budget. You never want to pass up a key date. I'd but the commoner coins last. You also want to try and keep it sort of matched. Like 63/64 or 64/65. It still okay to have a 66 commoner date. No matter what each coin should be as high end as possible. It does matter.
    Hi Legend , 

I appreciate your response.     I was thinking along those lines as well.   I had a really nice date set once , where I bought the highest grade I could swing within reason.   I regret dismantling it.   Now I have a set but it has a lot of outlier coins in it .   After yesterday and today biting my nails watching my brokerage account …. lol 😂 🙈….  It definitely hit me that I prefer holding gold and slabbed graded gold in my hands over watching numbers on a screen !!  😆

So I’m going to take your advice and go with quality and keep grades pretty standardized .

Is it possible to pm me with what sets are yours?   Date set saints and / or date set CAC saints . 

I would so strive to be able to accumulate a set like yours are .  What an amazing collection they must be indeed.    You’re like a rockstar to me !!!
  • Legend I figured it out .  I just found you at the back cover of my Rare Coin Market Review.

I’m going to have to check out your site.

Best Regards 

Vincent Savage 
  • Simple-we built Simpson and Half Dome 100%.
  • Legend said:
    Simple-we built Simpson and Half Dome 100%.
     Good job !  👍🏻👍🏻
  • P.S> Stick w/PCGS CAC Saints!!!!! The market is huge and the coins are safe (no putty or games)
  • Legend said:
    P.S> Stick w/PCGS CAC Saints!!!!! The market is huge and the coins are safe (no putty or games)
     I’m glad to hear that because it validates my personal findings and ultimately my decision to do exactly that .  

I have only 1coin left from the other and it’s a beauty .   I hope it’ll crossover but it seems like they rarely cross 1927 ms 67 coins .  I don’t believe I’ve ever gotten a 67 to crossover .  Always come back DNC.  
    Frustrating.  But now I know what I need to do .
  • Legend I sent you a message at work .  It’ll come through as Vincent Savage 

Im starting an 8 gold type set CAC .  May extend to a 12 after 8 is done .

You have a gorgeous 1909 $5 Indian ms 65 CAC 

Let’s make a deal ! 👍🏻🙏🏻🤗
  • Did you win the 1932? Looks like it sold at a discount.
  • Wabbit said:
    Did you win the 1932? Looks like it sold at a discount.
    I think it went for $155 plus BP , so probably about $170,000 +\- 

I figured $140 to $170 .   An industry pro I know figured $170 to $190 k

He was right .   I think I was in up to $130

My struggle was seeing one sold for $93 last year iirc .  

Now I think I’m feeling a little regret not going all in ….

I hit an OCD brick wall last week .  Lol.   Wanted everything , got confused and stepped back to regain my composure and focus .     ( Not that anyone here would understand that …. 🤓😆😂😂 )
  • What's up Vincent? You are everywhere! Like we always preach to you - CAC all the way.

Stick around here and pay attention, you will learn a lot. There are some incredible resources and thoughtful posts here - this will make you a better collector and the quality of your collection will reflect that.
  • What's up Vincent? You are everywhere! Like we always preach to you - CAC all the way. Stick around here and pay attention, you will learn a lot. There are some incredible resources and thoughtful posts here - this will make you a better collector and the quality of your collection will reflect that.
     Hi Seth 

I’m beginning to realize the enormous wealth of information and the quality of its members like your self included.   To your point on learning and becoming a better collector , that is absolutely my goal.   In the meantime I’m very appreciative of the patience you and others here have extended me .   🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Thank you 
    ( nice hearing from you and thank you for the Xmas gift 🎁.  Very thoughtful.  ) 
  • Listen to Seth. CAC only on all Saints.

A GEM CAC Saint will NOT sell at any discount in this market.
  • Legend said:
    Listen to Seth. CAC only on all Saints. A GEM CAC Saint will NOT sell at any discount in this market.
    I’m beginning to see that clearly.  Thank you 🙏🏻 
  • I take it back, it did not sell at a discount. I was looking at the wrong auction! No CAC and almost double the last one that sold, with CAC. I would also have passed.

• Wabbit said:
    I take it back, it did not sell at a discount. I was looking at the wrong auction! No CAC and almost double the last one that sold, with CAC. I would also have passed.
    No regrets in that case then !  That’s a pretty penny to pay for that coin .   The market is on fire .   Hammer price of $315,000 plus another 10% paid on the SS Central America that was on GC website .
  • When rare gold comes to market these days you better have a stack of cash ready because it ain't going to be cheap.
  • UNEDUCATED BUYERS.....
  • edited March 2022
    Legend said:
    UNEDUCATED BUYERS.....
    Maybe so , I get higher and higher prices are great for business.   But I have also lived long enough to see bubbles occur.   Houses , stocks , AU prices and if memory serves me correctly there was a period about 10 or 15 years ago where people were paying through the roof for coins .  Then it bottomed and those prices still haven’t been realized again.
     Anyways I realize I’m an uneducated buyer.   Thank you 

P.S.  I am listening more and more to you , Seth and others .   I’ll be looking for better investment grade coins , preferably CACed.