Why was this coin CAC rejected as a PCGS MS65 ? I need to know. — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Why was this coin CAC rejected as a PCGS MS65 ? I need to know.

Comments

• My guess is the chattering marks behind the eagle's head on the reverse. The obverse looks like a 65+ or 66 to me IMHO.
  • You nailed it - noticeable contact marks behind eagle head. In fact there is wear on Indians eyebrow, cheek, jawbone and lips where the color is disturbed
  • ddugas said:

My guess is the chattering marks behind the eagle's head on the reverse. The obverse looks like a 65+ or 66 to me IMHO.

I agree. The right reverse field on incuse gold reminds me of the right obverse field on WL halves regarding grade limiting abrasions.
  • NicNic
    edited February 2022
    mellado said:

You nailed it - noticeable contact marks behind eagle head. In fact there is wear on Indians eyebrow, cheek, jawbone and lips where the color is disturbed

There is no wear on that coin.
  • Hey Don! Looks like a GEM + obv and a little chatty on the rev...Or maybe JA is just getting old and cranky! :-)

BTW I am huge fan now of 787'S!!!!!!
  • The uneven toning is a bit distracting on the obverse. That is my guess. Those few marks on the reverse do not seem that bad to me.
  • Nic said:

mellado said:

You nailed it - noticeable contact marks behind eagle head. In fact there is wear on Indians eyebrow, cheek, jawbone and lips where the color is disturbed

There is no wear on that coin.
    I don’t see any wear, either. And I agree that the marks in the upper right reverse field are the issue.
  • edited February 2022
    The glorious color and luster were obviously enough for the coin to fly at PCGS, and I don't mind the huge dingleberry, but the marks behind the eagle's head do seem too severe for a CAC 65. (Edited to add that the rim nick above IC also doesn't help.)

• Hi. I sent in this PGGS AU58 and it came back no sticker. Any ideas?  I didn’t get a reason. Thanks. 

• Hi. I sent in this PGGS AU58 and it came back no sticker. Any ideas?  I didn’t get a reason. Thanks. 
    I’ll guess it was due to the scratches on each side, including the X-shaped one beneath the E in AMERICA.
  • edited February 2022
    I hadn’t noticed that. Probably why I’m not an expert grader. But it’s not an UNC either. Some light wear expected?  Thanks. 
  • I hadn’t noticed that. Probably why I’m not an expert grader. But it’s not an UNC either. Some light wear expected?  Thanks. 

Is that graffiti above and to the right of the eagle? Bigger pics would help.

• I hadn’t noticed that. Probably why I’m not an expert grader. But it’s not an UNC either. Some light wear expected?  Thanks. 

Yes, some very light wear, but I believe that scratches of that type - graffiti or otherwise - can preclude a sticker from CAC.
  • It is still a very,  very nice au 58 coin.
  • Looks like graffiti on both the Indian and the fat head. On the Indian it looks like a large H with and x in the middle. Maybe the chatter was to try and cover it up. The fat head has the obvious x below America but I’m thinking coin hound is onto something to the right of the eagles head.
  • SeatedNut said:

Looks like graffiti on both the Indian and the fat head. On the Indian it looks like a large H with and x in the middle. Maybe the chatter was to try and cover it up. The fat head has the obvious x below America but I’m thinking coin hound is onto something to the right of the eagles head.

That's not graffiti on the QE. Graffiti is, by definition, clearly intentional scratches. Which is most obvious when the scratches form letters and words, of course, but can also include things like a simple X if it seems intentional. (Sometimes, it's just a judgment call.) Anyway, in the case of the QE, the marks don't look intentional in the least, so not graffiti.
  • It really looks intentional H to me.
  • SeatedNut said:

Looks like graffiti on both the Indian and the fat head. On the Indian it looks like a large H with and x in the middle. Maybe the chatter was to try and cover it up. The fat head has the obvious x below America but I’m thinking coin hound is onto something to the right of the eagles head.

That's not graffiti on the QE. Graffiti is, by definition, clearly intentional scratches. Which is most obvious when the scratches form letters and words, of course, but can also include things like a simple X if it seems intentional. (Sometimes, it's just a judgment call.) Anyway, in the case of the QE, the marks don't look intentional in the least, so not graffiti.
    Agreed.
  • Intentional or not? In either case not a coin I’d be happy with