All CAC set builders — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

All CAC set builders

I would love to hear from set builders who buy all CAC for their collection or at least mostly CAC.

What series have you completed all CAC or close to it? If your still working on the set how far along are you? How long did is take to build the set/ get to where you are? What grade range do you pick? What would it cost to build an all CAC set if starting over today?

Comments

• edited March 2022
    Too much time to answer the detailed questions, as I have the following at 100% CAC:

Two Cent Business Strike; 20 Cent Business Strike; Franklin Proof Set; every annual Proof Set from 1936-1942; Classic Commem Silver 50 Coin Type Set, 12 Piece Gold Type Set; and about eight other Type Sets, each 100% CAC.

I need only one more coin for my Standing Lib Full Head DATE Set, two more coins for my Lincoln Wheat RED DATE Set, and after next week about 15 more coins for my Indian Head Cent Set.

In addition, I have about a dozen other Type Sets, including Dansco 7070, where every coin eligible for a CAC has a CAC. However, these dozen Type Sets also include (require) some coins that are ineligible for CAC’s.

Obviously, you can see I bought into the concept of how special CAC is way back when JA first started CAC!!!!

Steve

• @Winesteven

Impressive collections for sure. I’m really curious how long it took to assemble each series with all CAC. Did you focus on one set at a time or did you assemble all the sets simultaneously? In the series I collect (Seated Dollars) an all CAC set is damn near impossible. To have a set complete (minus 70s) mostly CAC is about as good as anyone can hope for. A set of that caliber would take at least 10-15 years….
  • edited March 2022
    Call me lazy, but I only start sets that I know I can complete, within a "reasonable" amount of time.

1. My "Pride and Joy" are my Type Sets, which I started decades ago. As my budget increased, I would upgrade the coins. That's an expensive way of collecting, but 15 years ago my coin budget was much less than it is today. In reality, it's one giant Type Set, but configured to capture about 20 PCGS Registry Type Sets. There's a tremendous amount of overlap. My "main" type Set is my Dansco 7070 (including Gold). Some of the other Type Sets had to have a few coins added here and there.
    2. A few years ago, I felt I "completed" these sets, so I then started putting together the sets I describe in my first two paragraphs above, a couple of sets at a time. My most recent set, the IHC set, has been VERY exciting for me.

Steve
  • Ugh I helped build an ALL CAC MS STEATED Set or two......

One was simple-buy the very best. The second was simple-buy the very best.

That was the only way to build both sets. One set has been sold intact (the finest) and the other remains w/a well versed collector.
  • @Legend

I know you guys built the best MS SLD set in existence. I’ve often wondered how building an all CAC set in MS vs Circulated would compare. Do you have any experience with circ grades or are you just an expert at the MS level? Have you helped build any circulated SLD sets? Would love to hear your take on this.
  • edited March 2022
    Too much time to answer the detailed questions, as I have the following at 100% CAC: Two Cent Business Strike; 20 Cent Business Strike; Franklin Proof Set; every annual Proof Set from 1936-1942; Classic Commem Silver 50 Coin Type Set, 12 Piece Gold Type Set; and about eight other Type Sets, each 100% CAC. I need only one more coin for my Standing Lib Full Head DATE Set, two more coins for my Lincoln Wheat RED DATE Set, and after next week about 15 more coins for my Indian Head Cent Set. In addition, I have about a dozen other Type Sets, including Dansco 7070, where every coin eligible for a CAC has a CAC. However, these dozen Type Sets also include (require) some coins that are ineligible for CAC’s. Obviously, you can see I bought into the concept of how special CAC is way back when JA first started CAC!!!! Steve
    Hi Steve

I looked at your 8 coin gold type CAC set today.   Very nice indeed.    So I started one myself after being motivated by you.

I currently have a 1923 D $20 ms 66+ cac ,  an 1857 S $20 ms 65 cac ( ss Central America ) and currently bidding on a 1911 Indian $2.50 ms 65 cac .

So now I’m on the hunt .   Can you suggest where I might find a dealer with a good selection of cac coins ?     

Amy guidance appreciated 
  • Just ordered a 1909 $2.50 64 CAC , 1916 S $5 64 CAC and a 1901 $10 64+ CAC from Legend’s website .  Nice Halfdome pieces !!! 

I’m stoked . 😎🦅

3 more coins needed.   $2.50 Liberty , $5 Liberty and a $10 Indian 

🤗🤗🤗
  • Just ordered a 1909 $2.50 64 CAC , 1916 S $5 64 CAC and a 1901 $10 64+ CAC from Legend’s website .  Nice Halfdome pieces !!! 

I’m stoked . 😎🦅

3 more coins needed.   $2.50 Liberty , $5 Liberty and a $10 Indian 

🤗🤗🤗
     Sounds like You are accumulating a very nice set!  Would love to see some pictures eventually.
  • edited March 2022

Too much time to answer the detailed questions, as I have the following at 100% CAC:

Two Cent Business Strike; 20 Cent Business Strike; Franklin Proof Set; every annual Proof Set from 1936-1942; Classic Commem Silver 50 Coin Type Set, 12 Piece Gold Type Set; and about eight other Type Sets, each 100% CAC.

I need only one more coin for my Standing Lib Full Head DATE Set, two more coins for my Lincoln Wheat RED DATE Set, and after next week about 15 more coins for my Indian Head Cent Set.

In addition, I have about a dozen other Type Sets, including Dansco 7070, where every coin eligible for a CAC has a CAC. However, these dozen Type Sets also include (require) some coins that are ineligible for CAC’s.

Obviously, you can see I bought into the concept of how special CAC is way back when JA first started CAC!!!!

Steve

Hi Steve

I looked at your 8 coin gold type CAC set today.   Very nice indeed.    So I started one myself after being motivated by you.

I currently have a 1923 D $20 ms 66+ cac ,  an 1857 S $20 ms 65 cac ( ss Central America ) and currently bidding on a 1911 Indian $2.50 ms 65 cac .

So now I’m on the hunt .   Can you suggest where I might find a dealer with a good selection of cac coins ?     

Any guidance appreciated 

Colombianito

Thanks for your kind words. You’re putting together a GREAT Type Set.

Two tips before I answer your question:
    1. Keep in the back of your mind, if your budget allows, consider expanding to a 12 coin Type Set. The four extra coins are the three One Dollar Type coins, along with a $3 coin.
    2. If possible, you might consider buying mainly 20th Century dates for your 8 Coin Gold Type Set, so those coins can then also count towards a new 20th Century Gold Type Set.

To answer your question, excellent dealers with nice gold coins, in no particular order, are Seth Chandler of Witter Coins, Legend Numismatics, and Douglas Winter. With that said, you should not rule out hunting at the major auction sites - Heritage, Stacks Bowers, GC, Legend Auctions, and David Lawrence Rare Coins.

Happy Hunting!

Steve

• Too much time to answer the detailed questions, as I have the following at 100% CAC: Two Cent Business Strike; 20 Cent Business Strike; Franklin Proof Set; every annual Proof Set from 1936-1942; Classic Commem Silver 50 Coin Type Set, 12 Piece Gold Type Set; and about eight other Type Sets, each 100% CAC. I need only one more coin for my Standing Lib Full Head DATE Set, two more coins for my Lincoln Wheat RED DATE Set, and after next week about 15 more coins for my Indian Head Cent Set. In addition, I have about a dozen other Type Sets, including Dansco 7070, where every coin eligible for a CAC has a CAC. However, these dozen Type Sets also include (require) some coins that are ineligible for CAC’s. Obviously, you can see I bought into the concept of how special CAC is way back when JA first started CAC!!!! Steve
    Hi Steve

Any guidance appreciated 
    Colombianito ________________________________________ Thanks for your kind words. You’re putting together a GREAT Type Set. Two tips before I answer your question: 1. Keep in the back of your mind, if your budget allows, consider expanding to a 12 coin Type Set. The four extra coins are the three One Dollar Type coins, along with a $3 coin. 2. If possible, you might consider buying mainly 20th Century dates for your 8 Coin Gold Type Set, so those coins can then also count towards a new 20th Century Gold Type Set. To answer your question, excellent dealers with nice gold coins, in no particular order, are Seth Chandler of Witter Coins, Legend Numismatics, and Douglas Winter. With that said, you should not rule out hunting at the major auction sites - Heritage, Stacks Bowers, GC, Legend Auctions, and David Lawrence Rare Coins. Happy Hunting! Steve
    Thank you .  I really figured I’d probably be pushing this 8 coin CAC set out to a 12 coin CAC set .

I have a 12 coin gold type set non CAC already .   I was just telling snakeplissen I think I may be messing up slightly .

In this 8 coin set w/ CAC I’m mixing $12 to $14,000 coins with $2,250 and $3,350 coins . From $20 ‘23 D ms 66+ CAC & ‘57S ssca 65 CAC to ms 64 and 64+ coins 

Am I spreading out to much between values and grades ?

I get excited and just start going on the hunt very seriously once I got an idea in my head . Professionals call it OCD !  Lol

So patience is not really in the room with me ! 🙈🤓
  • edited March 2022
    Just my opinion - even though it’s a “set”, there’s nothing wrong with having a variety of grades and values within that set. Buy what YOU want, whatever gives you pleasure! The key is to make sure that each coin is problem-free with real nice eye appeal for the grade, regardless of value!

Steve
  • Just my opinion - even though it’s a “set”, there’s nothing wrong with having a variety of grades and values within that set. Buy what YOU want, whatever gives you pleasure! The key is to make sure that each coin is problem-free with real nice eye appeal for the grade, regardless of value! Steve
    That works for me .   And I don’t mind improving my sets with better grades , nicer coins etc as they become available.  In fact I need to do that with my Saint Date set as well.

What a crazy hobby this is ….  Lol
    Im sure you’d agree that we often spend more on one coin than our parents did for the homes 🏡 we grew up in !!! 😱😆😂

Eye appeal is important .  Early on I traded out some gorgeous coins for higher grade coins but they weren’t nearly as beautiful .  That was a mistake .   Everything above I suppose is part of the game Steve .   Have a good night and thanks again .  A real pleasure chatting with you 
  • edited March 2022

Just my opinion - even though it’s a “set”, there’s nothing wrong with having a variety of grades and values within that set. Buy what YOU want, whatever gives you pleasure! The key is to make sure that each coin is problem-free with real nice eye appeal for the grade, regardless of value!

Steve

That works for me .   And I don’t mind improving my sets with better grades , nicer coins etc as they become available.  In fact I need to do that with my Saint Date set as well.

Im sure you’d agree that we often spend more on one coin than our parents did for the homes 🏡 we grew up in !!! 😱😆😂

Eye appeal is important .  Early on I traded out some gorgeous coins for higher grade coins but they weren’t nearly as beautiful .  That was a mistake.   Everything above I suppose is part of the game Steve .   Have a good night and thanks again .  A real pleasure chatting with you 

I put in bold in your above comment a VERY important point you made. I learned that point several years ago from Legend. As my budget for our wonderful hobby increased, I was upgrading several coins in my Type Set. Once Legend taught me that point, I would then only upgrade a coin if the proposed newer coin in the higher grade actually had nicer eye appeal than the lower graded coin it would replace.

Yes, it’s nice bouncing and sharing comments and insights with each other, and with others on this forum. That’s how I learn!

Steve
  • Just my opinion - even though it’s a “set”, there’s nothing wrong with having a variety of grades and values within that set. Buy what YOU want, whatever gives you pleasure! The key is to make sure that each coin is problem-free with real nice eye appeal for the grade, regardless of value! Steve

Eye appeal is important .  Early on I traded out some gorgeous coins for higher grade coins but they weren’t nearly as beautiful .  That was a mistake.   Everything above I suppose is part of the game Steve .   Have a good night and thanks again .  A real pleasure chatting with you 
    _________________________________________ I put in bold in your above comment a VERY important point you made. I learned that point several years ago from Legend. As my budget for our wonderful hobby increased, I was upgrading several coins in my Type Set. Once Legend taught me that point, I would then only upgrade a coin if the proposed newer coin in the higher grade actually had nicer eye appeal than the lower graded coin it would replace. Yes, it’s nice bouncing and sharing comments and insights with each other, and with others on this forum. That’s how I learn! Steve
    I’m going to go away for the weekend starting tomorrow.   When I get back I’m going to slow down , look for really nice clean quality coins to build my set.   I’ll be talking to Legend as well .  Good night 
  • Seated Nut-No, I have never done a circ set of Seated Dollars. Its actually one thing I would like to do. They are far tougher to find then most people think.
  • Legend said:

Seated Nut-No, I have never done a circ set of Seated Dollars. Its actually one thing I would like to do. They are far tougher to find then most people think.

Agreed, I would really respect a set of XF45 to AU58 CAC set of Seated Dollars - or many other series of that matter - Barber Halves, Bust Quarters - the list is long.
  • SeatedNut said:

I would love to hear from set builders who buy all CAC for their collection or at least mostly CAC.

What series have you completed all CAC or close to it? If your still working on the set how far along are you? How long did is take to build the set/ get to where you are? What grade range do you pick? What would it cost to build an all CAC set if starting over today?

You should hear the young kids these days, they want all CAC. "I want to build a 19th century silver type set in all Gold CAC" says 13 year old kid in the shop the other day.
  • An all CAC set of SLDs in any grade is almost impossible! In XF-AU no doubt that would be a true accomplishment that would be worthy of praise. Can’t think of another numismatic accomplishment I’d respect more (For the average collector).

@Seth_WitterCoin or @Legend - If one were to work with you exclusively building an XF-AU CAC set of SLDs. How many years would you anticipate that set build to take?
  • SeatedNut said:

An all CAC set of SLDs in any grade is almost impossible! In XF-AU no doubt that would be a true accomplishment that would be worthy of praise. Can’t think of another numismatic accomplishment I’d respect more (For the average collector).

@Seth_WitterCoin or @Legend - If one were to work with you exclusively building an XF-AU CAC set of SLDs. How many years would you anticipate that set build to take?

It weird how it all folds out. Ive put together great sets and I was really shocked how quickly I was able to locate many coins. Other sets, can be like crossing the desert with no water. It just never ends - no progress.

Seated Dollars. 44 coins. All CAC. After the first 8 to 12 common dates - which should take you a year or so. You would hope to add 5 to 8 coins a year afterwards. The whole trick is if you hit a vein - you come across a set or group at auction, dealer or collector. You might get 1/3 of the set in one shot.

Id suggest you look at the auction data bases and back into and build a hypothetical set in reverse, this will give you a good idea on the timeframe. I think you should get 40 of the 44 coins in five years. When you see the 71-CC, 72-CC, 73-CC, in high end CAC. Strike with full force. Buy them. Its your big chance.

• Thanks for the feedback Seth!