$ 1871 CC Liberty Seated Dollar — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

$ 1871 CC Liberty Seated Dollar

Liberty Seated Dollar sets are arguably the most challenging US sets to put together . It is a long term project that will take a lot of networking, patience, effort and of course financial resources. The series is full of key and semi key dates. If one decides to focus on premium quality examples then the road becomes 100 times tougher. One of the toughest to find nice and wholesome is the 1871cc. It doesn’t matter how wide your grade range is finding an acceptable 71cc will be a true challenge.

One look through the archive and you’ll see what an SLD set builder is up against. Most of the coins have been rightfully placed into problem holders. I don’t have interest in a details holdered coin so my options slim way down right off the top. Of the coins that made it into straight graded holders I can only find 2 coins that I feel I’d like to own. One of them is the only CAC coin that has ever sold at auction a nice solid for the grade XF about a decade ago for 30k. The other was an ok xf45 that Legend sold a couple years ago. Although the legend coin had some scratches on the right obverse and some bothersome rim nicks on the reverse. Even with its flaws I regret not going for her. The remaining straight graded coins in the archives all have issues. And the numbers are inflated because the same coins sell multiple times over the last 30 years at auction.

I thought about going for this one when it sold at Heritage and then again at GC just because it was not a white coin and would not be a headlight in my collection. I saw her in hand and just couldn’t. Neither auction house caught/noted the graffiti or PVC green gunk on the coin. Here she is!

Here is a glimpse of som of the other straight graded 71cc $ that we have to choose from!

There are just 8 examples that have been approved by CAC. Can only imagine what one of them would sell for if one were to come to auction today. This may be a date where a sacrifice must be made in order to complete the set (in my case minus the 70s).

If your building this set. Which coin/coins have proven to be impossible for you? Have you sacrificed on quality?

Comments

• edited February 2022
    These are auction pictures of an example I purchased about 10 years ago. She crossed from an NGC-45 to a PCGS-45. Do you think I sacrificed on quality?

• I saw that one at stacks. Above average compared to what’s out there. But is it above average for a SLD in general no. I assume the hairlines in the fields (not seen in these pics) are what prevented CAC approval. Would you be happy with that coin if it didn’t have a CC mint mark? I wouldn’t and that’s why I would say yes. You sacrificed on quality to fill the hole.
  • edited February 2022
    Thanks for your comments, as you know it's a very rare date. I haven't looked at her in years, I really dislike hairlines and did not see any, I'll check again. I like this example very much and I'm very pleased with the purchase. Perhaps that because I don't recall seeing a better looking EF. As a longtime collector I understand that sometimes it's difficult to decide if an example is up to your standards. However, I've learned that you only get so many opportunities to acquire some of the rare dates.

Years ago a fellow seated dollar collector shared his new purchase with me. A beautiful naturally toned 1846 graded AU-58 with smooth well struck surfaces. We loved it and he explained that he wanted all the coins in his set match the quality of this coin which he would use as his new standard. I warned him that would be extremely difficult.

I didn't want to be negative but I knew from experience that would be impossible. Sure enough I saw him about two years later and he said I was right, he hadn't bought a seated dollar in two years and was really frustrated. Therefore he was going to change and no longer use his 1846 as the standard for adding new seated dollars to his collection.

Years later he is very pleased with his collection and still enjoys collecting very much.
  • Yes, This date is almost impossible to find PQ. Here is the CACd example I mentioned earlier that also sold at stacks. Im sure 30k felt like a burial at the time to most. Had I known how tough this date was back then I’d have happily paid the price. Wonder what it would bring today?

• WOW 
    That is an incredible CC dollar!
  • Beautiful example! Sold in 2012