1854, The First Year for the Three Dollar Gold Piece — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

1854, The First Year for the Three Dollar Gold Piece

edited March 2022 in History
The Three Dollar Gold Piece was produced and issued for many years, from 1854 until 1889, but the it was never popular. The U.S. Mint System only produced 537,824 business strikes plus and estimated 2,200 Proofs over that time. The coin has bedeviled budget minded type collectors, who are looking to assemble the 12 piece type set, for years. Even the three common dates, 1854-P, 1874 and 1878 are scarce by gold type coin standards and have cost more than $300 in “collector item condition” (AU) since the 1970s.

For years I thought that this coin was a product of “the gold lobby.” Another theory was that the coin made it easier to purchase 300, three cent postage stamps, which was the new rate for first class postage at the time. Conversely numismatic researcher, Roger Burdette, has pointed out the coin was authorized with the belief that it would aid making change in gold among the various denominations. Given its lack of popularity, that theory never became a wide-spread practice.

I completed an “1854 PDO set” for the Three Dollar Gold Piece couple of years ago. Those mint marks stand for Philadelphia, Dahlonega and New Orleans. The Philadelphia engraving department sent dies to all four mints in 1854, but the Charlotte Mint never used their dies and allowed them to rust. The 1854 coins are unique in that the word “DOLLARS” is in small letters. In all of the later years, the letters for the denomination were larger. Therefore I consider the 1854 Three Dollar Gold Piece to be a minor type coin.

The Philadelphia Three Dollar Gold Piece is by far the most common piece in the 1854 set. With a mintage of 138,618, It is one of the three most common date in the series. It is most available in AU condition although Mint State are also plentiful in the relative sense. Grade - PCGS MS-63

With a mintage of only 1,120 pieces, the 1854-D Three Dollar Gold is a "dream coin" for many collectors. Despite the low mintage the number of survivors is high for the type with perhaps 325 pieces available in all grades, including the problem coins. This coin is always weakly struck to a degree and usually has so-so luster. The finest known examples have been graded MS-62.

The third party grading company population reports might lead some collectors to think that this coin is somewhat common in AU. That is not the case. Many pieces have been submitted repeatedly to get the coveted Mint State grade. That has artificially inflated the number of AU graded coins. Grade PCGS AU-55, CAC

My last acquisition was an 1854-O Three Dollar Gold. With a mintage of 24,000, this coin is not rare, but like all Three Dollar Gold Pieces, it is scarce. Overall, the “Coin Facts” estimate for the number of survivors is 1,000 pieces. Although there are supposed to be some early die state examples of this date that are well struck, this coin is seldom seen that way. Almost all examples are weakly struck, like this piece, which actually a little above average.

The 1854-O Three Dollar Gold is rare in Mint State, and the highest graded pieces are only in MS-62. The dies were frequently clashed and heavily polished, which removed a great deal of the sharpness from them. PCGS graded this coin AU-50. That is a “price threshold grade.” As the grades go up through the AU and Mint State grades, the prices go up geometrically. Grade PCGS AU-50

The U.S. Mint System probably had high hopes for the Three Dollar Gold Piece when it issued a combined mintage of 163,738 three dollar coins in 1854. Little did the mint officials realize that that mintage would be 30% of the total number of three dollar gold coins that they would issue over the next 34 years.

This 1887 Three Dollar Gold has the larger sized "DOLLARS" lettering on the reverse. Grade NGC MS-64

And here is a "unicorn" for your collection, an 1854-C Three Dollar Gold Piece, the rarest of all. It's beyond unique; it's nonexistent!

Comments

• Thanks for the timely information regarding $3 gold coinage. I have been looking for this type for my gold type set. Very difficult, in the current market, to find a suitable example. The hunt continues.
  • It all depends upon what you call "suitable.' The type is always around for a price. The trouble is buying raw ones is very dangerous if you don't know how to spot counterfeits. They have been on the market for many years, since the 1960s when I started collecting. Many of them came from Lebanon. They were made of gold, but not real.
  • Your 1854 is very suitable and is exactly the type I am searching for. No spots, no distracting marks but in the 63 range. Your 1887 is really nice and is very suitable too :smiley:

Many $3 gold pieces appear to be experiments for the coin doctors. Very low mintage on many means people all fight for the same higher pop coins.
  • edited March 2022
    You might not like the 1854 Three Dollar Gold. The .JPEG photo makes it look better than it is. It's an odd mix of the gold and copper alloy.

The 1887 is really nice, but I way over paid for it. It's one of those coins I bought from a dealer who was going to crack it out at a time when the market was high. I don't make those mistakes any more.

I did the same with this 1853 gold dollar which is in an MS-64 holder. It's as good or better than the current MS-65s, but I over paid. The 1853 is the most common gold dollar and also one of the most counterfeited.

• Bringing back an old thread but seemed fitting after picking up my $3 at the ANA. I enjoy your educational threads @BillJones . I just spent a little more time reading your $1 gold coin thread. We are lucky to have your contributions.

I like the 1854 because it is a one year type. I will most likely try to add a type 2 $3 in a little higher grade.

• Bringing back an old thread but seemed fitting after picking up my $3 at the ANA. I enjoy your educational threads @BillJones . I just spent a little more time reading your $1 gold coin thread. We are lucky to have your contributions.

I like the 1854 because it is a one year type. I will most likely try to add a type 2 $3 in a little higher grade.

+1

i also appreciate @BillJones educational threads

thank you so much!