Why is everyone ignoring the “ elephant in the room”? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Why is everyone ignoring the “ elephant in the room”?

With the Ukraine/ Russia war raging w Russia currently bombing Ukrainian nuclear power plants, endangering all of Europe ( and Russia) & the likelihood of further invasions into Poland and the Baltic states, how will all this impact the US & European / Asian numismatic market? There have been no opinions in print yet expressed. The stock market has remained fairly stable, so far.
Rational thought would indicate that at the very least Asian, Eastern European coin / currency hobbyists will
pull back from bidding / purchasing when the financial, indeed physical, future of many nations is uncertain. Still, it should be remembered that Louis Eliasberg in 1942 paid $100K for the Clapp coin collection , a WWII year where America & its allies were still losing the war. What are my plans? I’m planning on bidding aggressively in a landmark auction in two weeks but unanticipated things may happen in the interim to cause me to rethink. You’d think at the very least price levels might soften somewhat.

Comments

• edited March 2022
    There is an auction coming up of some 19th century political pieces that I have been seeking for many years. I intend to be a strong bidder on the pieces that interest me. Life goes on, and you can’t allow a tyrant to change your whole mode of living unless he comes to your door and puts you in prison. If the fool bombs a nuclear plant the poison is more likely to hit his country than ours.
  • If the stock market is still alive, the coin market will definitely be alive. Unless we all get nuked coins will survive and survive well imo. Good topic to discuss since it affects us directly and timely!
  • The ravages of inflation (further enhanced by the war) will continue to impact the coin market favorably, IMO.
  • mellado said:

With the Ukraine/ Russia war raging w Russia currently bombing Ukrainian nuclear power plants, endangering all of Europe ( and Russia) & the likelihood of further invasions into Poland and the Baltic states, how will all this impact the US & European / Asian numismatic market? There have been no opinions in print yet expressed. The stock market has remained fairly stable, so far.
    Rational thought would indicate that at the very least Asian, Eastern European coin / currency hobbyists will
    pull back from bidding / purchasing when the financial, indeed physical, future of many nations is uncertain. Still, it should be remembered that Louis Eliasberg in 1942 paid $100K for the Clapp coin collection , a WWII year where America & its allies were still losing the war. What are my plans? I’m planning on bidding aggressively in a landmark auction in two weeks but unanticipated things may happen in the interim to cause me to rethink. You’d think at the very least price levels might soften somewhat.

In your 60+ years as a serious collector, has there ever been a time where you completely stopped buying because you thought the market was going to soften? And have you ever walked away from something you really wanted because you thought the market might drop 10-30%?

• IMHO, coin prices will continue to rise along with precious metals in the foreseeable future. It has become now obvious that the inflation spike is not transitory and will persist in the coming months/years. Prices will, of course, ebb eventually, but not this year.
  • With the stock market declining, run away inflation, and the possibility of multiple wars, at least for me, it’s becoming increasingly more difficult for me to justify making a major numismatic purchase.
  • You have succumbed to the media hype. Putin has been saying for decades that he intended to get Ukraine back. He waited to pull the trigger until a sufficiently leftwing U.S. administration came into power because it would offer no meaningful opposition.

Putin is not trying to take over the world, just own a country to which he believes he is historically entitled. Once the rest of the world realizes this fact, things will settle down. CAC prices will not be significantly effected because the country with the 11th highest GDP is trying to conquer the country with the 57th best.

Wars suck but they will always happen.

• Sounds too much like a Putin apologist. Putin would have done this regardless of US leadership
  • Stating facts is not de facto support of a sociopath's modern day reign of terror. Putin should be assassinated by U.S. or NATO soldiers. One creep dead, millions of innocents live.
This discussion has been closed.