I “Completed” My Lincoln Wheat DATE Set! — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

I “Completed” My Lincoln Wheat DATE Set!

edited March 2022 in General
In the Summer of 2019, I completed my lifelong collection of my Type Set(s), best reflected by my Dansco 7070 set.

Looking for a new numismatic venture, I wanted to start something that would be FUN, somewhat challenging, but something that I could potentially complete in a “reasonable” amount of time, as I’m not getting any younger.

I chose to go back to my young beginnings as a coin collector. Like so many of us, as a child I started with the blue Whitman folders collecting Lincoln Cents. I never proceeded too far with that as a child, so why not do it now?

To keep it in budget, and to meet my time requirements for a “reasonable” end, I decided to make this a DATE set, so I could pick and choose for each year just one coin, regardless of the mint. However, to make it somewhat challenging, I also decided that each coin must have the RED designation, and each coin must also merit a CAC sticker. As it turns out, 30 of the 50 coins have a "+" grade.

So after 2-1/2 years, my set is now “complete”. But with that said, I’m still on the hunt for two upgrades;
1. The very last coin I bought for this set is the 1912 MS65RD. However, it turned long ago, so it’s not RED. Yes, being impatient, I bought the holder and not the coin, as this was the last “hole” to fill. Silly me. So I’m looking for one in that grade or MS66RD, with a CAC, but with a legitimate RED color (and with nice eye appeal).
2. I also want to upgrade my 1922-D MS64RD. While it’s a lovely coin, it’s my ONLY coin in the set graded lower than MS65RD. With an upgrade to MS65RD, every coin in this set will then be GEM!

Here’s a hotlink to my set. While this format only initially shows just one photo for each coin, if you click on a photo, it will then allow you to scroll and see other photos of each coin. Or, you can click “Set Image Gallery” in the center near the top, and see a nice layout of each photo, along with my comment for that coin.

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-cents/lincoln-cents-major-sets/lincoln-cents-date-set-circulation-strikes-1909-1958/publishedset/196606

Steve
Tagged:

Comments

• Nice set! Congratulations. I found it interesting that the top set only has 9 CAC coins. (Out of 50)
  • edited March 2022
    Wabbit said:

Nice set! Congratulations. I found it interesting that the top set only has 9 CAC coins. (Out of 50)

Thanks.

From what I can see of the six sets rated higher than mine, only one of those sets has the majority of the coins with CAC’s (that set has 32 out of 50 that merit CAC stickers). All others have less than half with stickers.

In that top set, with the grades as high as they are, you must figure that most of the coins have been sent to CAC, whether by the current owner, or a prior owner. I wonder why they don’t merit a CAC?

Steve
  • That’s awesome !!!
  • Very nice set and congratulations! Are you now going to go for the entire set?
  • Very nice set and congratulations! Are you now going to go for the entire set?

No. Unfortunately, for the most part I don’t have the patience for large, multi-mint sets. I recently finished a Franklin Proof Set (14 coins), and I’m one coin away from completing a Standing Lib Quarter FULL HEAD DATE set (also 14 coins). While my Classic Silver Commem Set is large at 50 coins, it’s the Type Set. Other than my Dansco 7070 set (which is very large) that I spent decades putting together, I’m having a LOT of FUN on a special Indian Head Cent set. I estimate I’ll need about another year, maybe less, to complete that set. I’ll probably post a status update on this forum about that set in a few weeks.

Thanks.

Steve
    No. Unfortunately, for the most part I don’t have the patience for large, multi-mint sets. I recently finished a Franklin Proof Set (14 coins), and I’m one coin away from completing a Standing Lib Quarter FULL HEAD DATE set (also 14 coins). While my Classic Silver Commem Set is large at 50 coins, it’s the Type Set. Other than my Dansco 7070 set (which is very large) that I spent decades putting together, I’m having a LOT of FUN on a special Indian Head Cent set. I estimate I’ll need about another year, maybe less, to complete that set. I’ll probably post a status update on this forum about that set in a few weeks. Thanks. Steve
    Nice accomplishment!  Guess that lets out the infamous “20 coin box”!  I don’t know how I could go to only 20 coins. I’ve thought about 40 (two boxes) but I don’t think I can even do that. Your sets are very nice. 
  • Very nice set. Date sets are a wonderful way to collect something as expansive as Lincoln cents. All CAC makes for quite a challenge. A couple I particularly like - the 1915 and the 1935.
  • Thanks so VERY much to everyone above for your kind words!

Steve
  • Did you buy them all already with the CAC sticker or were you able to buy any (at a lower price) without the sticker and get the sticker added yourself? Just curious.
  • Did you buy them all already with the CAC sticker or were you able to buy any (at a lower price) without the sticker and get the sticker added yourself? Just curious.

Virtually all were with CAC's at the time I bought them. However, fortunately I found that the CAC "premium" is often not that large (in dollars) on three figure Lincoln's.

Steve
  • That's amazing Steve. You are a true Numismatist.
  • edited March 2022
    Do you want a laugh? As I neared the end of completion, human nature (weakness and impatience) took over, so to complete the Registry set which enabled me to jump in ranking from the high 20’s or low 30’s or so to #7, I bought attractive but very low cost 1950-D and 1957-D Lincoln’s graded only MS66RD, each without a CAC. These were just fillers, knowing they had to be replaced with coins with CAC’s, presumably each graded MS67RD.

A couple of weeks ago I was sending some other coins to CAC, and I figured “Since round trip shipping is covered anyway, what the heck, I’ll send these two cheap coins in with my others.” While I believe that many/most high priced coins without CAC’s have been submitted to CAC at some point and failed, I believed these two cheap two figure coins were probably never submitted. Lo and behold, they both passed! As such, my set is now 100% CAC!

Steve

• Check with Andy Skrabalak at Angel Dee's. Even if he doesn't have what you need today he will keep watch.

I consigned my wheaties to Andy several years ago. Among them were these two, a 66RD 1912 and 65RD 1922-D. I do not think he still as them for sale but Angel Dee's always has a lot of fresh coins.
    Lance.

• Lance, thanks for the tip. I regularly check Angel Dees (and others) for my needs, as well as a daily check of collectorscorner.com. But I sense you’re pointing out that if I give them this short Want List, they may then contact me BEFORE they add it to their website.

Thanks.

Steve
  • @lkeigwin Lance, that 1912 is SWEET!
  • Thanks, @Wabbit. Andy got it upgraded to 67RD and then sold it for $7k more. Woo-hoo!
    Lance.
  • lkeigwin said:

Thanks, @Wabbit. Andy got it upgraded to 67RD and then sold it for $7k more. Woo-hoo!
    Lance.

:s

• Now work on a matte proof penny set (1909-1916). They are the most underpriced coins on the planet considering their tiny mintages and the extreme popularity of Lincoln cents. I suggest buying PR63/64 BN's or RB's. They offer the best combination of quality, eye appeal, and price. Cheapskate alert!

You might prefer the NGC's dipped in MS70 Coin Brightener because they have absolutely gorgeous colors. PCGS does not like them, though; they will either be body bagged or net graded. And CAC is no fan, either, but I sometimes see them sneaked through.

Andy does not have any cheap PCGS examples now but he had several before. GC has them from time to time.
  • lkeigwin said:

Thanks, @Wabbit. Andy got it upgraded to 67RD and then sold it for $7k more. Woo-hoo!
    Lance.

It looks like it is finally in the correct holder. I have seen way worse 67's. NICE!!
  • CACfan said:

Now work on a matte proof penny set (1909-1916). They are the most underpriced coins on the planet considering their tiny mintages and the extreme popularity of Lincoln cents. I suggest buying PR63/64 BN's or RB's. They offer the best combination of quality, eye appeal, and price. Cheapskate alert!

Andy does not have any cheap PCGS examples now but he had several before. GC has them from time to time.

Great suggestion for me, as it’s a small set. Looking at price “guides”, if indeed I proceed, I’d probably go with 65/66 RB’s. However, the cost in almost any grade with availability of the key 09VDB is a true budget buster!