What’s your reaction to rising numismatic prices ? — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

What’s your reaction to rising numismatic prices ?

I believe this is a topic not addressed in hobby media before, and that’s my specialty - addressing
new topics for consideration.

As an oldtimer collecting for 2/3rds of a century, I’m taken aback & concerned about the seemingly nonsensical prices we are seeing at auction. I’m certain most oldtime collectors feel the same. We simply cannot comprehend, indeed almost revile , such ever- increasing prices, particularly for the ultra hi-grade
66-69 grades and even more so for post WWII modern coinage ( of which rolls & even bags exist ) and the omni -present Morgan silver dollars.

Yet for those of us who have formed significant collections over the decades, we anticipate such high prices when we consign to auction. So our concern about price levels are mixed.

On the other hand, those collectors in, say, their 50s or lower with presumably decades of collecting in their future, I’d imagine these rapidly increasing prices are an encouragement to continue collecting - if only
for “ investment”. They ignore happily that price levels, as they ever increase, continue to eliminate a significant segment of active collectors who simply cannot afford these price levels, thereby pricing them out of the hobby.

I long for the 1960-70s when prices were affordable and if you missed out on an, say, Uncirculated gem 1796 dime this year, you’d be able to buy one next year for perhaps 10% more. I well remember in 1960 when Milton Holmes ( Stacks) incredibly gem prooflike 1796 quarter sold for $3,000. That was almost double the going rate for choice Uncirculated 1796 quarters. Now, that coin is over $1M? Silly says I.

Comments

• Prices haven’t been “ever increasing” - in general, they’ve been rising for much of the past two years. But prior to that, they’d been declining for several years. Markets move up and down over time and we just happen to be in the midst of an up market.
  • After this up market, do you think prices will remain up? Or are they bound to settle down just slightly, yet remain up from the previous market?MarkFeld said:
    Prices haven’t been “ever increasing” - in general, they’ve been rising for much of the past two years. But prior to that, they’d been declining for several years. Markets move up and down over time and we just happen to be in the midst of an up market.

• MarkFeld said:

Prices haven’t been “ever increasing” - in general, they’ve been rising for much of the past two years. But prior to that, they’d been declining for several years. Markets move up and down over time and we just happen to be in the midst of an up market.

Your comment is basically the way I understand the historic price trends, but those of us who are relatively new to the hobby have only seen prices recently increasing. My only wish, at this point in time, is to find the few coins that I have been patiently waiting to find at a reasonable price.
  • In every crazy strong bull market, there are always some crazy cheap areas of the market to be found if you look hard enough. So I'm never "concerned" about crazy high prices, but I'm sometimes more than a little amused.
  • WilliamJ said:

After this up market, do you think prices will remain up? Or are they bound to settle down just slightly, yet remain up from the previous market?MarkFeld said:

Of course, all I can do is guess. I think that generally, the rarer, more desirable coins which aren’t readily available, will be more likely to maintain much of their gains. At the same time, I wouldn’t be surprised if more common, generic coins give back a good sized portion of their increased values. But even if I’m right, I have no idea how long it will take for any such changes to occur.
  • WilliamJ said:

After this up market, do you think prices will remain up? Or are they bound to settle down just slightly, yet remain up from the previous market?MarkFeld said:

Prices on assets tend to be "sticky". They rise fast, decline slower. I expect that to hold true with coins. I am moving as much inventory as I can before the fed raises interest rates. I expect that will put a bit of a crimp on the rapid growth we've seen lately.
  • My reaction has been to sell sell sell. I’ve sold almost all of my coins to consolidate to a much smaller, but better quality, collection. From a buying point of view, I’m taking things very slowly. I don’t want to find myself buried by losing my head.

I wish I knew why gold dollars have suddenly become so hot. It’s been very difficult to add new pieces lately at the price level I play in. But to my earlier point, I’m not reaching for stuff just to acquire. I’ll wait and see if there is an adjustment. If no adjustment then I’ll enjoy other things while I wait. 
  • I was able to sell so many common "graded" coins, and raw coins, for such high prices, I love it! I am still holding on to the rare ones for the most part. Sure wish I would not have sold the MS66+ Saints I owned a couple of years ago! :'(
  • I do NOT like coins like MS66+ Saints right now. I know they had ben hoarded. BUT what really bothers me-gold has shot up and they have not moved much in price recently.

Yet again, I agree with what Mark Feld said.

Do I think prices will stay at the much higher levels? Old saying "what goes up, must come down"!
  • "A fool and his money are soon parted." -- Thomas Tusser

Actually, The Greater Fool Theory applies to this market.
  • edited April 2022
    My reaction - stick to a conservative view.  Don’t sacrifice liquidity for some unearned speculative profit.  Don’t go over budget.

Rising market / nuclear bidders makes buying it right more difficult.  Competition from all in bidders in this market fierce.  If I pay a lot to win an auction item I just don’t have a really good feeling about it.  My goal quick turnover with positive performance.

I don’t believe coins are a do or die thing to spend big money on if it makes me uneasy.  From a business point of view knowing what I can sell something for, avoiding paying too much for it, and  sticking to a financially sound investment budget key to success.  Past history illustrates coin market can rise and crash.  Compared to equity market numismatics have really high conversion cost both ways.

So if can’t buy it right, pass.  Already have enough of it.  My focus on retail sales where in the green. At my table at show my best offer 10 pct behind bid.  I don’t care who they are, what they think / some know it all BS, or what paid for it.

• Go back to raw in albums and rediscover fun and pleasure. :)
  • I also really enjoy raw coins.
  • Hard to beat a Dansco Type set! :)

• Pyrite,

Agree. Just sold some of my lower grade raw Morgans with price rise and replacing with better coins that I had in slabs for years - see below. Never been afraid to break out of slab. Slabs are great for selling but would rather have in album to enjoy. Someone once told me as long as the coin is not over-graded or has issues, not to be afraid of cracking out, esp if I felt it was solid for grade.

• Bravo, Coastal Jersey.
    Wish I had the nerve to do that. I know I would regret cracking out what is IN slabs already.
    Just KNOW it.
  • My enjoyment more than compensates for any future value loss of selling raw vs slabs. Had for about 15 years and hope to hold for another 15+. I keep all the stickers for future reference when selling. That helped when I sold about 15 of them in March, including the 86-S AU58 above.
  • Pyrite said:
    Bravo, Coastal Jersey. Wish I had the nerve to do that. I know I would regret cracking out what is IN slabs already. Just KNOW it.
     Like coastal Jersey I’ve cracked out coins for personal enjoyment or to put in a display.

I’ve saved the labels usually and if I sell them I let the buyer know what it WAS.   I just sent in 18 raw coins that I had cracked open to Great Collections. 
  • Returning to the topic of the opening post, for a moment:

This 1857O 50c PCGS au58+ sold at Stacks on March 9 for …. $4200..

Here’s the lot description:

1857-O Liberty Seated Half Dollar. WB-6. Rarity-3. Misplaced Date. AU-58+ (PCGS). CAC.

An exceptional example of this eagerly sought New Orleans half dollar with richly original surfaces drenched in steel and pewter-gray patina. Sharply struck and near-fully lustrous, this premium quality coin is just a whisper away from Mint State. The lowest mintage (818,000 pieces) issue among late date New Orleans Mint Liberty Seated half dollars, the 1857-O is scarce to rare in all grades AU-50 and finer.

Provenance: From the Abigail Collection, Part II.

Here’s the coin:

• Continuing…there are 24 stickered coins of this date. The current CAC guide sheet for 58 is $998. At MS63, the price is $4120.

I’m wondering if there is something unique about this coin that supports this auction price.

I have read a lot about high prices for gold, but we are seeing a similar phenomenon for a segment of the market that has been dormant for many years.

If the purchaser or other bidders on this coin can reveal the rationale for putting so much cash into this coin at this time, it would educate the rest of us.