CAC Results — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

CAC Results

I just got this batch back a few days ago. This is what happens when you send in 54 coins purchased sight-unseen from auctions. Only 11 were beaned. But that's still more than than the five that I had predicted would be approved (yet only four of those five were).

Ironically, I believed that merely two of the 54 were actually over-graded yet both got beaned! This is why JA and company make the big bucks and I am just a distant bystander to their superhuman powers. And why you should send in EVERY coin and not rely on "expert" (aka JA wannabe) opinions.

I only needed to have one of these coins approved to pay for all costs and even provide a meager profit. It was worth sending them in just for the excitement experienced during the two week wait. Most of the 54 were key, semi-key, or otherwise interesting (to me) collector coins.

I sent these in directly. But I still think that I achieve better results when I submit through famous experts because I believe that there may be subconscious but unintentional bias involved.

Comments

• Are u serious? THIS IS SO UNTRUE: " I believe that there may be subconscious but unintentional bias involved."

Maybe this time for whatever reasons you did okay, it will catch up to you buying coins like these sightunseen. My guess is you latched on to a fresh group. Its like gambling, you will eventually lose.
  • It’s official. CACfan is my favorite coin dealer of all time.  
  • I agree. You are just a distant bystander.
  • CAC's submission rules allow indiscriminate submissions like this but surely many of these have been run through CAC before.
    It makes me wonder how often JA, Bill S. and the other graders look at a coin and say, I just saw this [insert expletive] a few months ago...
  • Your results are very interesting. Sample size is too small to draw any conclusions but 5/14 NGC coins stickered while only 6/31 PCGS coins received a sticker.
  • CACfan said:

....Ironically, I believed that merely two of the 54 were actually over-graded yet both got beaned! This is why JA and company make the big bucks and I am just a distant bystander to their superhuman powers. And why you should send in EVERY coin and not rely on "expert" (aka JA wannabe) opinions....

I disagree. Don't submit every coin to CAC, just because this particular submitter (or others) had coins sticker that he thought were over-graded. If you have access to expert guidance, it can serve you well to make use of it.
  • breakdown said:

CAC's submission rules allow indiscriminate submissions like this but surely many of these have been run through CAC before.
    It makes me wonder how often JA, Bill S. and the other graders look at a coin and say, I just saw this [insert expletive] a few months ago...

I'd hope they get filtered out if they've been seen within a certain timeframe such as one year, or red dotted or something to let them know to not waste too much time on it.
  • The only logical conclusion I can decipher, is that the OP may not want to predict, in the future.

• You said: "I disagree. Don't submit every coin to CAC, just because this particular submitter (or others) had coins sticker that he thought were over-graded. If you have access to expert guidance, it can serve you well to make use of it."

What is your definition of "expert guidance"? An owner of a major grading service told me that I am a good technical grader. And a former PCGS grader predicted that certain of these rejected coins would be CAC'd.

Only JA and company know what their actual criteria are. They are the only true experts about CAC's standards.

Paying $16 (resuming April 1), $35, or $75 for even a chance of a dramatic value increase on any coin is well worth the risk. Being pennywise and pound foolish is one reason why many dealers fail to run a profitable business.

Again, send in every coin, at least those worth $1,000 or more.

• CACfan said:

You said: "I disagree. Don't submit every coin to CAC, just because this particular submitter (or others) had coins sticker that he thought were over-graded. If you have access to expert guidance, it can serve you well to make use of it."

What is your definition of "expert guidance"? An owner of a major grading service told me that I am a good technical grader. And a former PCGS grader predicted that certain of these rejected coins would be CAC'd.

Only JA and company know what their actual criteria are. They are the only true experts about CAC's standards.

Paying $16 (resuming April 1), $35, or $75 for even a chance of a dramatic value increase on any coin is well worth the risk. Being pennywise and pound foolish is one reason why many dealers fail to run a profitable business.

“Expert guidance” would be provided by someone who’s highly proficient at grading and has a good understanding regarding which coins CAC is apt to sticker. There are many people who are well qualified.

There’s a huge difference between “every coin” and “at least those worth $1000 or more”.
  • MarkFeld said:

CACfan said:

You said: "I disagree. Don't submit every coin to CAC, just because this particular submitter (or others) had coins sticker that he thought were over-graded. If you have access to expert guidance, it can serve you well to make use of it."

“Expert guidance” would be provided by someone who’s highly proficient at grading and has a good understanding regarding which coins CAC is apt to sticker. There are many people who are well qualified.

There’s a huge difference between “every coin” and “at least those worth $1000 or more”.
    Who decides "who's highly proficient at grading"? I have solicited opinions about potential CAC approval from dealers who are considered legendary grading experts, but more often than not they have been wrong. Again, only JA and company know the ingredients of their secret sauce.

In other words, when it comes to CAC triage, there is no such thing as "expert guidance" unless it comes from actual CAC graders.

Once the $16 cheapie service resumes on April Fool's Day, even lowly $200 coins will warrant the CAC fee aka lottery ticket. Only a "fool" would be so cheap as to not pay for the fun. Have you seen the amounts that even inexpensive CAC coins are bringing at auction? If just one or two cheapies out of 10 hits, it will pay for all submission expenses involved.

There are talkers and doers. Obama was the typical liberal talker who never worked a day in his life (in the private sector) and simply told successful businesses how to run themselves based on his naive, zero-evidenced, liberal theories. Trump was the typical doer who had actually run successful businesses. Trump would shoot for a CAC sticker every time and not listen to the Obamas of the world.
  • Any other comments political in nature will be deleted.
This discussion has been closed.