Has anyone else noticed that PCGS Price Guide prices have moved ahead of CAC prices recently - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Has anyone else noticed that PCGS Price Guide prices have moved ahead of CAC prices recently

2»

Comments

• My understanding is the CAC Price Report retail values are provided/determined by John Feigenbaum’s people with the Greysheet.

Steve
  • I like the PCGS Price Guide because it is so darn easy to navigate. Plus I have found that (PCGS Price) x .8 is a pretty darn good rule of thumb for a market price based on recent auctions.
  • It all depends on the eye appeal of the coin! Not all coins sell like commodities.

Steve
  • It all depends on the eye appeal of the coin! Not all coins sell like commodities.

Steve

100% correct Steve. Guide prices are not for those top end coins for the grade.
  • MarkFeld said:

JohnTCoin said:

I had grown accustomed to looking at the PCGS value of a particular coin and the CAC value. The CAC price guide value was almost always higher, however, as of late, the PCGS prices have been higher. Is this just a lag in CAC updating it's guide, or something else. Opinions please.

It could be a lag in CAC pricing and/or it could be unrealistically high price guide values.
    Or a combination of both. But if I had to bet, I'd bet on the PC-Guide coming down.
  •  After seeing the last few auctions and the incredible prices they’re bringing , I think it’s going to be a serious challenge to keep up with any accuracy regarding pricing .

In the HA auction this past week , a 1927 Saint ms 67 sold for $21,600!!!! 😳😱

I have a handful should anyone want some at only $19,995.00 🤓🤣

Some seriously strong money brought in at Great Collections as well.   Really strong numbers !

pardon the bunny trail but it goes towards what I’m saying about keeping up with pricing going forward … 
  •  After seeing the last few auctions and the incredible prices they’re bringing , I think it’s going to be a serious challenge to keep up with any accuracy regarding pricing .

Some seriously strong money brought in at Great Collections as well.   Really strong numbers !

pardon the bunny trail but it goes towards what I’m saying about keeping up with pricing going forward … 

Bidding at GC was super aggressive this past Sunday. It was unbelievable. I picked up a nice one though.

• I paid a full 50% over PCGS Price Guide for it and I had to snipe it in the last 8 seconds of the auction to get it, but I'm in love with this one guys. <3 <3 <3
  • JohnTCoin said:JohnTCoin said:
    I paid a full 50% over PCGS Price Guide for it and I had to snipe it in the last 8 seconds of the auction to get it, but I'm in love with this one guys. <3 <3 <3

After seeing the last few auctions and the incredible prices they’re bringing , I think it’s going to be a serious challenge to keep up with any accuracy regarding pricing .

Bidding at GC was super aggressive this past Sunday. It was unbelievable. I picked up a nice one though.

Wow that really is a beauty !!!  Wow 😮 

I’ve always been a strong bidder when I want something and rarely did people challenge me after a certain point .   But these days it’s a feeding frenzy .   Some really big numbers being paid . 

Is your Morgan CACed?    Either way I curious what you ended up paying ???   $6700 to $7,000 it sounds like .  Definitely a keeper !   Congratulations 
  • Thanks. Yes Vince it is CAC and you're dead on. It was $6700 +BP and shipping. Just a few bucks under $7400 total. 
  • I honestly think that if the auction hadn't ended, someone would have e outbid me. At 8 seconds on the clock l bid $7500 just to make sure I'd get it but $6700 ended up being the hammer price. 
  • JohnTCoin said:
    I honestly think that if the auction hadn't ended, someone would have e outbid me. At 8 seconds on the clock l bid $7500 just to make sure I'd get it but $6700 ended up being the hammer price. 
    JohnTCoin said:
    Thanks. Yes Vince it is CAC and you're dead on. It was $6700 +BP and shipping. Just a few bucks under $7400 total. 

John,  

I think you did just fine .   The guide prices usually reflect the “average”, however your Morgan is far from “average “.   It really is an amazing specimen .   I hope it brings you joy owning for many years to come .  👍🏻👍🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

That’s going to be one of those coins that in 6 months to a few years , everyone is going to look back and wish they’d had gotten it !!!  Especially when it becomes a 5 digit coin 😎😉
  • Thank you. That makes me feel better. I have been second guessing myself, thinking maybe I overpaid.
  • edited May 2022
    JohnTCoin said:
    Thank you. That makes me feel better. I have been second guessing myself, thinking maybe I overpaid.

Don’t !   You did fine.   I remember buying a few properties on Long Island years ago for $140k or so ….     Several years later they were close to $250k and I passed on a couple thinking it was too high.   Today they are close to $600k !!!  Probably more now actually as that was last year I looked them up just for giggles .  Same thing with AU at certain times. 

Just think that others were bidding right with you up to with in a few hundred of where you won.  You’ll grow into that in the next month or two no problem . 

Enjoy the moment and enjoy the coin .  If it drives you nuts , let me know what you’d been happy paying and I’ll add a couple of hundred and take it off your hands !! 😉🤓☺️

Dude you scored nicely on that Morgan !! 

Edited to add:  In January a 1925 Saint ms 67 sold for almost $31,000.   He relisted and it sold on Sunday for over $39,000 4 months later .   That’s what’s happening with the good stuff .  You got good stuff !!
  • This is not a comment on JohnTCoin's coin, but just like in many other areas of the inflation wrecked economy, we are likely in a bubble period. If it worries you, then you aren't spending discretionary dollars.
  • Catbert said:

This is not a comment on JohnTCoin's coin, but just like in many other areas of the inflation wrecked economy, we are likely in a bubble period. If it worries you, then you aren't spending discretionary dollars.

+1

you're so right about the way to manage your own risks and not to worry about the $s for any particular coin that you may want .. this is especially true for a hobby collector like myself that always has a budgeted amount that i will ever spend on a coin .. the $s are simply discretionary spending that is a small fraction of funds that are readily available in a checking account to pay the invoices at the time of the new purchases and within a few weeks, the balance is back to an established reserve point based on net income after taxes

i'm a relatively new hobby collector, so i really don't have any expectations for prices going down .. if the price of a coin is lower in the future, then i hope to have the opportunity to consider adding it to my collection .. i do realize that prices are breaking records and i keep looking .. although i wish i could find more coins that i want within my limited budget
  • I don’t see that John spent $$ he don’t have or anything like that.   He simply stated he thought he might have overpaid.  
  • I can comfortably afford about 8 coins like that a year, which is what I'm looking to do this year. My collecting tastes are constantly evolving. At first, I had the bug bad and just wanted coins, coins, coins. So I was buying a lot of $1k to $2k coins just to satisfy my appetite for new material. Now, I've decided to move into higher end coins and just get fewer of them.
  • Next, I want a really nice Seated Liberty Proof Cameo dollar or half dollar. I just realized how gorgeous they are. I'm gonna be patient (that's the hardest part for me), and get a really nice one. Possibly my first ever 5 figure coin purchase. That's about 2 to 3 months worth of disposable income for me but I know it'll be worth it to me in the end. Definitely will have to be CAC at that price point. I like to play the field a little trying to find great coins that haven't been beaned yet but not when I'm spending big.