Here's some of my favorite things I like to do involving coins... - Page 2 — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Here's some of my favorite things I like to do involving coins...

2»

Comments

• Those Ikes are absolutely amazing! A few of them are show stoppers.
  • edited June 2023

... Ironically the worst coin here, still a placeholder for me, is the lone cac coin. ...

Well, apparently my whole set is ms67 or better as I replaced and sold that 78-p and it's now in an ms67 holder. Yeesh. I guess I can't sell anything. I thought that one was safe enough to sell and was apparently wrong. I also replaced the 73-d since the photo was taken. I have photos now of my SBA set too.

• edited May 2023
     I like imagining where a coin has been , who has handled it and wonder how some coins have survived 90 to 250 years in mint state .  Especially high ms grades …..  

Carson City coins conjure up thoughts of the hard west .  Men working claims and tossing a CC Morgan on the bar for some supper and a drink .  The sound it makes as it lands and bounces on the mahogany bar .

Shipwreck coins fascinate me, especially the SS  Central America coins.  
    The whole storied history of this ship ,its crew and passengers ordeal capture your interest and wildest imagination.    The horror of 425 souls being taken into the abyss and the trauma of its survivors.   The voyage from beginning to its surrender to the sea and the financial loss contributing to the financial panic of 1857 .   And now we hold some of these pieces of history in our hands .  Unreal how well preserved they are after 131 years on the ocean floor 7,700 ft down .    

Collecting coins has been such a great and amazing pass time .    It would be so much better if or when a few of the bad apples would be put out to pasture.   They almost sucked the life out of collecting for me .

Thank goodness for the good guys like Seth , Cac family , Ian Russell and others like them.   For they are the glue that keeps it together . 

Lastly but most importantly has been the friends we make along the way .   That’s been the best part of it .   

• I really enjoy holding an old soldier of a coin, one that has plenty of honest circulation from doing its duty for many decades or even centuries, and day dreaming about its travels and experiences.
  • In between visits to the bank I enjoy reading the spreadsheet that documents the detailed information of my collection. The sellers name instantly brings back the specific memories of each acquisition.
  • When I have some coins out of the safe deposit box I'll lay them out in "pages" of 20 (or 16 in the case of Ikes). Ironically the worst coin here, still a placeholder for me, is the lone cac coin. Most of the others were obtained before there was cac.

I thought CAC did not sticker Mint state Ikes?
  • CAC does not sticker Proof Ike’s. Not sure if CACG is grading them either.
  • lkeigwin said:
    My wife loves coin stories. She's not a collector but she's heard me talk a lot. Sometimes when I'm driving on a long trip she'll ask me things. "How did the 1955 DDO happen? Was no one paying attention?" "How could a 1913 Liberty nickel even happen? Sounds like a scam." "Why is an 1804 dollar so special if it wasn't minted in 1804?" I don't even know what to say. Lance.
    She sounds like a very smart/savvy lady.

• lkeigwin said:

My wife loves coin stories. She's not a collector but she's heard me talk a lot.

Sometimes when I'm driving on a long trip she'll ask me things. "How did the 1955 DDO happen? Was no one paying attention?" "How could a 1913 Liberty nickel even happen? Sounds like a scam." "Why is an 1804 dollar so special if it wasn't minted in 1804?"

I don't even know what to say.
    Lance.

She sounds like a very smart/savvy lady.

I had to turn over the 1955 DDO cent I had previously bought as a last minute 40th birthday present to MY wife in 1995 as I had totally forgotten her birthday. She looked at it crossed eyed and said hey, it is defective! Not even worth a full cent! She thought I was scamming her. Now, many years later, she wants to keep the profit for her own pet projects if I sell the coin.

• Coinbert said:

CAC does not sticker Proof Ike’s. Not sure if CACG is grading them either.

Oh, thanks for reminding me.
  • Hi Oreville, I was 40 in 1995 too. Not feeling as young as I used to.
  • Coinbert said:

CAC does not sticker Proof Ike’s. Not sure if CACG is grading them either.

Updated answer from the BOSS: Yes, CACG will, in VA.
  • Good news. I bought a few Proof 70 Ikes a couple of years ago. Seemed like ok value. Hope they make the cut at CACG.