Suggestions for CAC — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Suggestions for CAC

edited March 2022 in Grading
CAC could start its own slabbing service to compete with PCGS and NGC. They already have builtin brand recognition and are more trusted than their two would-be competitors, as proven by APR's. They could note "A", "B", or "C" next to each grade, which would thus enable them to compete more effectively as they would not just slab the A and B coins that they already approve in PCGS and NGC slabs, but also C (average) coins, which represent a much higher percentage of all coins certified.

At CAC's verification site, they could include applicable modifiers not already on TPG inserts, such as FH, FB, and PL. This would be especially helpful for coins certified when such modifiers were not being anointed by the TPG's. Also, list CAC's actual grades for gold-beaned coins. And say "A" or "B" next to each grade, whether gold or green sticker.

Correctly graded but rejected coins could be listed as such at CAC's serial number verification website, which would open a whole new market for this vast supply of bean-bare but decent coins.

CAC could start a trading platform whereon screened collectors and dealers could buy and sell their CAC wares, no matter how paltry.

CAC itself should start listing coins on Ebay, the world's largest CAC marketplace. The Ebay fee is merely 8.5% for coins priced up to $4,000 and 2.5% for amounts above that, a very reasonable structure for pricier coins. Why should CAC give away coins to other dealers to make windfalls that CAC itself could be earning? The CAC sticker is CAC's invention, so what would be wrong with CAC reaping the profits?

CAC could start its own auction company, modeled somewhat after GC's due to the minimal work involved.

CAC could start its own Registry Set competitions. There will be NO modern coins to corrupt it as has happened to PCGS/NGC RS's and their scoring systems rigged to favor extremely plentiful modern coins (and thus encourage their highly profitable submissions).

CAC could have an online suggestion box. And solicit feedback from submitters. In other words, let others give you free marketing ideas. Maybe there is another David Hall out there but one who will work for free?

CAC could start a resolution board to quickly settle disputes between members without enduring the drawn out ANA or PNG procedures.

CAC could give annual and lifetime CAC dealer awards to giants who have helped promote CAC and its philosophies, like Laura Sperber, Ian Russell, and even JA himself.

INSERT OTHER SUGGESTIONS BELOW (and savage attacks against my suggestions that dare to think outside the subculture box).

Comments

• CAC could offer an "IGNORE forum user" button.
  • As with any small business, there comes a point where expansion of services may become too costly, too difficult, add complexity or be undesirable based upon the strategic goals of an organization. I think many of your ideas will not stick due the these factors. Growth has a price to pay.
  • CAC could offer an "IGNORE forum user" button.

Ironically posted by someone whose icon photo is that of think-outside-the-box Frank Zappa

"Those who limit themselves to the status quo become the embodiment of the status quo."
  • Catbert said:

As with any small business, there comes a point where expansion of services may become too costly, too difficult, add complexity or be undesirable based upon the strategic goals of an organization. I think many of your ideas will not stick due the these factors. Growth has a price to pay.

I find it hard to believe that any coin business would not benefit by employing at least two of the ideas in the original post.
  • If CAC starts it own full grading/slabbing service , I would like to buy up all of its prototype slabs with inexpensive coins!

Then I can be rich!!! LOL.
  • "CAC can NOT do this: CAC could start its own auction company, modeled somewhat after GC's due to the minimal work involved." They would be attacking their own customer base if they did.

CAC is aa lean company. I don't think solving disputes is something they have the manpower for.
  • edited March 2022
    Legend said:

"CAC can NOT do this: CAC could start its own auction company, modeled somewhat after GC's due to the minimal work involved." They would be attacking their own customer base if they did.

CAC is aa lean company. I don't think solving disputes is something they have the manpower for.

Minimal work involved? That is quite funny. I dare anyone here to tell Raeleen that it's "minimal work". Let me know how it goes.

- Ian
  • Why would anyone think a brilliant business model should complicate itself?
    Defies logic. :D

• Legend said:

"CAC can NOT do this: CAC could start its own auction company, modeled somewhat after GC's due to the minimal work involved." They would be attacking their own customer base if they did.

Minimal work involved? That is quite funny. I dare anyone here to tell Raeleen that it's "minimal work". Let me know how it goes.

- Ian
    Oops, left out the qualifier "relatively". I was referring to the lack of verbal descriptions in the listings, an enormous time saver. No disrespect was intended to the Great One, the Wayne Gretzky of RELATIVELY less laboriously operated auctions.
  • Pyrite said:

Why would anyone think a brilliant business model should complicate itself?

Walmart would not have become number one had they so limited their thinking. CAC has a prestigious brand name that they could exploit.
  • Legend said:

You are the goddess of the coin biz and its definitive marketing expert. I am more interested in reading your comments about anything coins than in arguing with you.

But in my humble opinion, CAC is not exploiting its brand as well as it could. For instance, they could charge, say, a $300 fee for their resolution service. And there are ways to model their auction firm so as not to directly compete with friends.
  • CACfan said:

Pyrite said:

Walmart would not have become number one had they so limited their thinking. CAC has a prestigious brand name that they could exploit.
    Ahhh, you solved it. The WALMART coin auction! :D
  • Legend said:

- Ian
    Ian, please forward this message to Raeleen for me:

“Hi Rae,

You’re so very fortunate that your job requires only minimal work.”

😉

• Pyrite said:

CACfan said:

Pyrite said:

Ahhh, you solved it. The WALMART coin auction! :D
    Walmart actually sells rare coins on their website, LOL.

Search "PCGS coins" at walmart.com.
  • MarkFeld said:

Legend said:

- Ian
    Ian, please forward this message to Raeleen for me:

“Hi Rae,

You’re so very fortunate that your job requires only minimal work.”

😉

Ian owns the world's third largest coin auction firm (in dollar volume). He built it up himself using his outside-the-box ideas. Certain others who post hereon are forced to work for the big boys for slave wages (less than or barely into six figures). Many are talented graders/numismatists but will never be successful business owners because they are stuck in the subculture mentality.

Doers versus talkers. Trump vs. Obama (no political commentary intended, just stating a fact).
  • Is there an active contest for members, for how many Threads can get closed by a member? What is the prize? (PS:I know who is in 1st Place....at the moment).
  • CACfan said:

Pyrite said:

It would seem that a brand well established with substantial existing brand equity should not seek to exploit itself IMHO.
  • Luster said:

CACfan said:

Pyrite said:

It would seem that a brand well established with substantial existing brand equity should not seek to exploit itself IMHO.
    Agreed and it appears that this thread’s originator is out of touch with CAC’s motives and goals - either that or he wants CAC to change them.
  • Thank goodness we have people who have identified a niche in the business and are supremely good at what they do and continue to do that thing at a very high rate. Diversifying for the sake of diversifying does not always (usually) turn out well. Let everyone have a bite of the pie and let the rewards fall where they may.

And, how can anyone start a new auction company and not "step" on the toes of all the rest? Wouldn't there be a new company competing for coins from the same pool of potential sales?

Thinking "outside the box" is a good thing for any business. Realizing when "acting outside the box" will not produce the desired results is an act of intelligence.

• "Ian owns the world's third largest coin auction firm (in dollar volume). He built it up himself using his outside-the-box ideas. "

Not to take anything away from Ian's monumental accomplishments... but the core business model for GC was the brainchild if Bernard Rome and Julie Abrams.

Granted when Ian joined up with them it was a huge boon for Teletrade.

This discussion has been closed.