Can this coin be improved to a better grade and appearance — Welcome to the CAC Educational Forum

Can this coin be improved to a better grade and appearance

Saw this coin for sale that is an obvious dog. Was wondering if it could be improved in appearance through conservation, and get a higher grade and possible CAC sticker as well. Interested in your thoughts if it is a reasonable gamble. At what price would it make sense possibly? PCGS MS 65 as graded now.

Comments

• I think I’ll agree with the others on the PCGS board who said it’s very unlikely to be improved. 
  • You cannot judge by photos. Shame on anyone who says otherwise about almost any coin. It may have already been dipped and/or otherwise conserved, more or less original luster than is apparent, and/or marks and/or other post-striking flaws hidden under the toning. I suggest sending it to a leading rare coin conservation service, such as NCS or PCGS Coin Restoration, for their expert opinion. Better yet, just buy coins that already have CAC approval. Remember, auctions are good source for bargain CAC coins because some somehow manage to slip through.
  • Unique and attractive antique design. Shows best coin maker work.
  • I suspect that to remove that crust dark tone you would lose any original skin and luster the coin has, it is best left alone and enjoyed as it is by the next owner.